I am not amused.

mrsylvestre

--- Update 2 ---

As promised, ED replaced the corrupted module installers by perfectly working versions on their download page the next day. Thanks !

(Now discovering the joys of fixing trim FFB with a G940, but that is another story)

--- Update ---

Issue (corrupted installer for A-10 module version 1.2.2.7286_39) has been acknowledged by Sobek (see further down the thread) - ED team is working on it. Note that the BS2 upgrade module installer (same version) is also suspect (one non-critical file within the package might be corrupted).

I rest my case below, but I appreciate the responsiveness of ED in acknowledging problems on their side. Thanks for that.

--- Original rant ---

(I know this is not the best way to start posting on this forum but I believe that as a loyal customer to ED and their predecessors (back to Flanker 1.0 actually) I may write one thing or two about their latest advances in colonoscopy -err, scratch that- installation procedures)

Just finished a new PC build, eager to run DCS and modules (Ka-50 / A-10C) in all their glory, I bravely started by reading (a lot) about the deactivation procedure to apply on my old PC. Finally managed to find a10_protect.exe and ka50_protect.exe on that one and, while A-10 deactivated correctly (I think, although the 9 activations left seem a bit suspicious to me as I do not remember having installed A-10 twice before), BS deactivation failed miserably, directing me to the starforce (or whatever it is called now) website, to no avail. Oh well, I can live with losing an activation...

After careful reading and re-reading the instructions, I then proceed to bravely download and install DCS World on the new PC. Installation appears to be OK (even though it attempts to install an outdated version of DirectX but, hey, this is certainly Microsoft's fault, uh ?) as I can thereafter perfectly fly the SU-25. Oh joy ! (Well, the trim assignments in the control section are messed up between left-right and up-down but what flightsim is bugless ? Besides, this can easily be fixed by a bit of trial and error in assigning the buttons to the functions).

When things start to become less dandy is when, after downloading the A-10 DCS module, I get the dreaded "the installations files are corrupt" message. Certainly the download got corrupted somewhere on its way through the internet... except that the MD5 sum matches the one announced next to download link (like the MD5 sums of DCS World matched the announced hashes too).

Then, I realised that when I started DCS World yesterday to check the install, it sneaked in an automatic update so maybe, just maybe, it might not be in sync with the A-10 module downloaded a few hours later (or vice-versa or whatever) ?

I am now busy redownloading the whole lot (DCSW, A-10, Ka-50) again and praying that this will fix the $#éµing thing but I am starting to become a bit mad at that silly system ! Heck, the Falcon dance was fun compared to this.

And this is in 2012.

Edited by mrsylvestre
Issue acknowledged by Sobek

5800X3D - 6950XT - Pico 4

Download the torrent it always check your checksum and if corruption then occurs then believe me you will not be the only one that will complain. But yeah sometimes internet can screw things up and there is nothing the game company can do. Also the update validates now which is a good thing. Also the update are hot fixes which most game developers do , you download a main files and the small hot fixes come later. Some company even dare to sell a game and release a day one patch =). So ED is still a saint in this

Installation appears to be OK (even though it attempts to install an outdated version of DirectX but, hey, this is certainly Microsoft's fault, uh ?)

If you mean DirectX9, then you are wrong, as it is not outdated. DirectX11 is NOT backwards compatible, that's why you still need 9 as well as 11. Blame it on MS if you so please.

Then, I realised that when I started DCS World yesterday to check the install, it sneaked in an automatic update so maybe, just maybe, it might not be in sync with the A-10 module downloaded a few hours later (or vice-versa or whatever) ?

The updater does not sneak in anything. There is a dialog that asks for confirmation before anything is updated. Once a module is registered with the autoupdater, it will keep that module up to date as well.

I am now busy redownloading the whole lot (DCSW, A-10, Ka-50) again and praying that this will fix the $#éµing thing but I am starting to become a bit mad at that silly system ! Heck, the Falcon dance was fun compared to this.

I don't really see what your problem is. There's three things you need to install, which takes less than 15 minutes if done right. Besides, the autoupdater that you so easily dismiss as a pain in the behind is there to eliminate exactly this need to reinstall anything by automatically replacing files that need updating and checking the integrity of your install.

Edit: After re-reading your post, my question would be why you opt to redownload everything when it's just the A-10C installer that has a hash-mismatch. Why not just redownload the broken file?

Edited by sobek

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

Please check installers, just before blame someone.

There's a LOT of people that have installed it sucessfully. Rather unlikely if the installer provided is faulty. :)

Come let's eat grandpa!

Voicing frustrations is fine, but don't step over the line towards being insulting. Rule 1.10 applies to all of you.

Thankyou.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

If you mean DirectX9, then you are wrong, as it is not outdated. DirectX11 is NOT backwards compatible, that's why you still need 9 as well as 11. Blame it on MS if you so please.

Except that the installer complained that a newer version of a DX9 or DX10 was already installed (probably from a car sim that I installed before). But I agree that the jury is still out about whether MS is to blame instead

Edit: After re-reading your post, my question would be why you opt to redownload everything when it's just the A-10C installer that has a hash-mismatch. Why not just redownload the broken file?

If you re-re-read my post you will see that the A-10C did NOT have a hash-mismatch (and neither did the DCSW files). But maybe my english is not clear (not my native language, sorry).

OK, short update...

Uninstalling, rebooting, downloading DCSW and A-10 (version 1.2.2.7286_39 for both), installing DCSW, not launching DCS before installing A-10 did not cure my issue: the A-10 installer still says that the setup files are corrupted.

Now before, someone chimes in to say "doh !", the re-downloaded md5 hash are correct ! I even downloaded the A-10 module from each 4 servers separately, with correct MD-5 hashes everytime, to no avail.

Could it be possible, by chance (sic), that the A-10 installer currently on available for download (1.2.2.7286_39) is defective ?

I'm in the process of checking the installer.

Edit: I wasn't aware they had an updated installer, it seems that it is indeed corrupt.

Edited by sobek

Come let's eat grandpa!

Thanks, Sobek.

FWIW, I just downloaded the torrent. Same MD5 hash as the downloads and on the website. Same "installation files are corrupted".

I am now going to try to install the BS2 module (will take a bit of time as I have to install BS 1 first as my license is the "upgrade" one).

Good to know that I am not venting frustrations for no good reason ;)

Maybe the team is already aware of that too, but FWIW the BS2 (upgrade from BS1) module install also contains one corrupted file (\Eagle Dynamics\DCS Wolrd\Mods\aircrafts\KA-50\Skins\1\ME\base-menu-window.png). Clicking "ignore" led to a completed install with no other errors and a working BS2 within DCS.

Oh, and while you are at it, the version of Visual C++ runtime you provide is definitely marked as outdated (and I have some serious doubts about the DirectX updater, but that might be a Microsoft issue).

This is on Win7x64, up-to-date.