Navigations in F-15C

YoYo

I always fly just Russian planes, after FC3 and new, very well done cocpit I need to know something more about Eagle, so changed a bird .

Im a little confused about navigations in F-15C. In A-10C is a more easy and logical than here ;).

According manual the key "~" is for changing a NAV waypiont or Airfield (ILS) but in my FC3 it dosent work! In Russian planes work fine, I can change waypoints or airfields (01-21, so all airfields on the map), in F-15C if Im on "1" - nav mode when I push in NAV or ILS mode "~" nothing has changed. Its a bug or I do something wrong?

Mission is create by mission editor. Thx for reply.

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

It works fine for me, the key is ctrl+º(just above tab) IIRC.

"Ctrl+~" in Eagle C? Hmm, according manual/trenings for changing of waypoints Nav/ILS need only "1" and after push "~" between waypoints/airfields (but it dosent work for me). Will try, thx.

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Maybe try to remap it to something else ?

Mine is mapped to DMS up on my stick and it works fine.

An issue with the f15 is Waypoint/Afld numbering. you cycle through them but how do you know exactly what the current way point is ?

There's a number to the left of the NAV word on the HUD, that's your waypoint number.

During the briefing you might want to write those numbers down to know what waypoint correspond to what.

WaypointINFO.jpg

Edited by Eight Ball

Ok, works! Now its a Ctrl+~, Right. Thx.

Just any idea how to navigate between airfields (ILS), in Russians we have the number (1-21 in WAZWRAT mode), in F-15C no.

More simply is in A-10C with setup of freq of ILS/TACAN.

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

I think it can be a good idea (if we have/need realistic setup in FC3 - if we change ILS by Ctrl+~ in F-15C the best way for orientation which airfiels show on our HUD is setup automatic FREQUENCY of ILS for this airfield (example - in A-10C we must do it manually). In this case, we can orientate which airfield is on our HUD.

Here te diagram with all airfields (good for Russian aircrafts, You can find it by ID on HUD, but for F-15C ? Any ideas?):

nowy2j.jpg

Edited by YoYo

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

after pressing 1 to enter navigation mode, pressing 1 again enters ILS. I usually end up using the map because bearings given by ATC seem to be off.

Win 10, Gigabyte Aorus Ultra with i5 9600KF @ 4.6GHz, 32G DDR4 3200 RAM, GTX 1070, TrackIR 5, TM Warthog stick on VPC Warbird base, Warthog Throttle for jets & helis, CH Throttle Quadrant for props, CH Pro Pedals, 500GB SSDs for installed sims :gun_smilie:

Maybe it's just me being daft, but Im not 100% comfortable with navigating the Eagle now. In FC2 you had a cross showing where the next waypoint is, now there's a line, but it does'nt seem to be locked in one place... How do I know where the next waypoint is?

On the upper side of the HUD there's a horizontal line corresponding to bearing.

Under that line there's an inverted "V" (your current heading) and there's a small perpendicular line (almost under the 09 in this pic) that's your steerpoint heading

auoZM.jpg

picture by reaper26

Hope it helps, I'm a bit tired and I'm not sure what I'm saying actually makes sense :P

after pressing 1 to enter navigation mode, pressing 1 again enters ILS. I usually end up using the map because bearings given by ATC seem to be off.

ATC will give you bearings to the approach point for the airfield, not the runway itself.

Nope they are there in the form of the Steering cross. In ILS mode this is referenced to the Velocity vector as it is in real life. Just track the steering cross with the velocity vector.

F15ILS_HUD.jpg

Edited by IvanK

ATC will give you bearings to the approach point for the airfield, not the runway itself.

In the F-15 in FC2, in VNAO, using the Stallturn server, using the different ILS waypoints, I select one, then ask ATC for a bearing to see what airfield the waypoint selected is. The ATC guy will tell me what airfield the ILS waypoint is by its identifying name.

If I am searching for a specific airfield that will do repair\refueling\rearming, I just sift through the waypoints one by one repeating the process.

The two HUD crosshairs will move around as to which waypoint I select.

Once ATC identifies the field I want, he will give me a bearing to follow to the Initial turning point to line up with the runway a few miles out.

Then, I just line up the HUD cross-hairs and the field's ILS pops up on my HUD and HSI and it will take me directly to the designated runway.

The Russian aircraft are much simpler navigating to various waypoints and also, separately to the various ILS approaches.

I am not going to setup FC3 while it is still in beta.

Hope this is the same in FC3 and hope this helps someone.

Edited by ErichVon

A few more questions:

1. When you are in ILS mode, before you are lined up with the runway, is the flight director (little cross in the HUD) taking you to the approach point (AP)or the runway?

2. Is the distance shown on the right side of the HUD under ILS to the AP or runway?

3. What is the pattern altitude, i.e. what speed and altitude is best at the AP?

Thanks. Trying to practice landings in heavy fog but keep having to cheat and look at the map!

A few more questions:

1. When you are in ILS mode, before you are lined up with the runway, is the flight director (little cross in the HUD) taking you to the approach point (AP)or the runway?

2. Is the distance shown on the right side of the HUD under ILS to the AP or runway?

3. What is the pattern altitude, i.e. what speed and altitude is best at the AP?

Thanks. Trying to practice landings in heavy fog but keep having to cheat and look at the map!

Page 242 of the FC3 Flight Manual has the approach and touchdown speeds for various FC3 aircraft.

I just purchased FC3 just to answer your question and out of curiosity. Around that page should answer your other questions.

I happened to see the landing speeds browsing through the manual.

Start\All Programs\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Documentation\Flaming Cliffs 3 Manual

You will need a (.pdf) reader.

I know how to land it in FC2, FC3 may be different.

All the time I can give you for now.

Take care.

Edited by ErichVon

Thanks again. I see the approach speed but not the "pattern altitude"- still trying to figure out that one.

One other problem that I think is technical, but can't find in the list of bugs: when I choose BVR combat (#2), the radar is not on. Pressing "i" does not have it come on. I have to move to vertical or boresight scanning, then come back to BVR, and then it works.