DCS SA342 Gazelle Project

Pat01

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the Vid it looks superb, I like the pylon selector.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

Nice video.....I noticed that the sand filter was installed on the helicopters. Do we know if the Polychop version will have the sand filters and will they reduce overall performance like the real version does.

Nice video guy's :thumbup:

Thanks for sharing, looking forward to the release.

Found this on YT for those interested in the real deal in action.

Multicrew hasn't been implmented yet by ED. More than one third party developer are waiting for ED to come out of the woodworks with multi-crew.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo

Enjoy everybody. Replacing a lot of old videos with new ones to show the progress.

Thank you for that vid.

That constant swinging to the left and right while hovering looks a bit odd, though. All is WIP, of course, I know.:)

Deutsche DCS-Flughandbücher

SYSSpecs: i7-4790K @4GHz|GA-Z97X-SLI|16GB RAM|ASUS GTX1070|Win10 64bit|TrackIR5|TM Warthog/Saitek Pro Pedals

The L-39 has it as said, but it's state isn't exactly what I'd call functional. There are a few game breaking issues that need to be resolved. They are:

1) Inability for the player to change seats if no other player is present (imagine being unable to fire the Gazelle's weapons at all if you don't have a second human with you, that's a problem).

2) Lag, so much lag. The game doesn't handle even the tiniest amount of lag elegantly, thus there are all sorts of problems ranging from jittering and teleportation to self destructing due to over G (even while stationary on the ground with the engine off).

3) No ability to boot someone out of your aircraft if they become a problem, though at least you can deny them entry in the first place.

MP multicrew has been done well in other flight sims over the years, so it can certainly be done. This isn't a new thing at all, just new to DCS. RoF/BoS/BoM have it flawlessly implemented at this time and should be considered a model of how to do it right. Of course, it wasn't always so, they had the same types of problems when RoF first came out too.

Back on topic, I'd actually really like to see the air assault COOP missions brought back. Those were a blast and the Gazelle fits those perfectly as they were designed for the more lightly armed UH-1 and Mi-8. A light scout with a few beefy AT missiles would fit into those far better than the Ka-50 and it's one man airforce ground attack power.

Edited by King_Hrothgar

I think the biggest hurdle is the network code. It hasn't been designed to handle multi-crew and, if you ask me, also not the current state of DCS with its many users, airframes and even ground vehicles which can be all player driven.

One of the things they're working on is improving the networkcode, I fully expect that to include a correct handling of multicrew as well as optimizing the current state of affairs to be morre... eeh... elegant. (and dedicated server support!).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo

• ED Team

Its great that it works in other sims, that doesnt mean it translates to easily fixed in this sim, its a different hunk of code, so beyond knowing its been done elsewhere it offers little help in fixing issue with DCS. They will get there, as you said, its new to them, they need to smooth out the bumps. The lag, well its been stated the netcode is getting a complete re-write, and as such, is a huge task, we just need to be patient and understand its known and getting addressed.

The L-39 has it as said, but it's state isn't exactly what I'd call functional. There are a few game breaking issues that need to be resolved. They are:

1) Inability for the player to change seats if no other player is present (imagine being unable to fire the Gazelle's weapons at all if you don't have a second human with you, that's a problem).

2) Lag, so much lag. The game doesn't handle even the tiniest amount of lag elegantly, thus there are all sorts of problems ranging from jittering and teleportation to self destructing due to over G (even while stationary on the ground with the engine off).

3) No ability to boot someone out of your aircraft if they become a problem, though at least you can deny them entry in the first place.

MP multicrew has been done well in other flight sims over the years, so it can certainly be done. This isn't a new thing at all, just new to DCS. RoF/BoS/BoM have it flawlessly implemented at this time and should be considered a model of how to do it right. Of course, it wasn't always so, they had the same types of problems when RoF first came out too.

Back on topic, I'd actually really like to see the air assault COOP missions brought back. Those were a blast and the Gazelle fits those perfectly as they were designed for the more lightly armed UH-1 and Mi-8. A light scout with a few beefy AT missiles would fit into those far better than the Ka-50 and it's one man airforce ground attack power.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

By model, I meant the end result, of course the code running it is different. In any case, this feature just isn't ready yet. Its day will come, just have to be patient. On the bright side, the Gazelle looks like it should be fairly easy to operate solo with a decent HOTAS. The workload doesn't look any higher than with the Ka-50.

Less workload for the systems yes. Not the same about the piloting.

You'll learn to mainly fly with your cyclic instead of the collective. For example, if you dive in Kamov, you'll use a lot the collective to recover, then you'll adjust with the cyclic.

if you do this in Gazelle... Ehehehehe boum.

It's been a long road and I think of the Huey module that initiated the need for the new code to handle multi-crew, from my point of view at least . It's been over 3 years since the DCS:World video showing a sneak peek at the Huey. It pains me to think of all variables to consider when ED is developing this new code. Couple that with the integration of the new terrain engine also. I'm sure it's a very large task to bring this forward, but it does make me wonder how close are we? :noexpression:

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

Less workload for the systems yes. Not the same about the piloting.

You'll learn to mainly fly with your cyclic instead of the collective. For example, if you dive in Kamov, you'll use a lot the collective to recover, then you'll adjust with the cyclic.

if you do this in Gazelle... Ehehehehe boum.

I don't use collective much with KA-50, especially after dives and all other hard maneuvers. It is contrary that I keep collective down to avoid blades collision and I use cyclic to do recover. Where I need to use collective is for rotations as without collective you can't turn sideways.

Diving in 330-350kph and recovering is suicide with collective, it is pure cyclic recovery at that moment.

Maybe it is just me but I trained for all kind maneuvers and really prefer maneuvers where I use more cyclic like in military turn.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

I don't use collective much with KA-50, especially after dives and all other hard maneuvers. It is contrary that I keep collective down to avoid blades collision and I use cyclic to do recover. Where I need to use collective is for rotations as without collective you can't turn sideways.

Diving in 330-350kph and recovering is suicide with collective, it is pure cyclic recovery at that moment.

Maybe it is just me but I trained for all kind maneuvers and really prefer maneuvers where I use more cyclic like in military turn.

Not sure I understand this. From my understanding, using the collective should only alter the pitch of the individual blades in the rotor, right? I thought pulling on the cyclic (which alters the angle of the rotor mast) while going fast was what made the rotors collide with eachother on the KA-50.

Which is also the reason why when I go fast in the KA-50 I'm very careful with making cyclic inputs.

Wasn't talking about high speed maneuvers, just when you decide to dive a bit, even at 150 km/h...

I talk about any speed maneuvers. From 15kph to 350kph.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Collective increases or decreases blade pitch for all blades collectively, hence the name. Cyclic can work two ways, it can change the angle of the mast (kind of unusual tbh) and/or alter the pitch of individual blades to create asymmetric lift, thus resulting in pitch/roll. Since the blades are spinning, the change in pitch is cycled through all the blades, hence the name cyclic.

Regardless, I think what dimitriov is getting at is the Gazelle doesn't descend as quickly as the Ka-50 with collective decreases, so more pitch is needed to get the same result.

I would guess the dimitriov means that if you use collective to increase lift of the rotordisk, the load is simply to high, so you have to actually pitch up like with a plane to recover from a dive.

At least that is my interpretation.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

*unexpected flight behaviour* Oh shiii*** ! What ? Why ? What is happening ?

Two days after last video release ? :D

Comming soon: Best off FM code fails with funny glitches and crashes. ;D

With code examples plox ! :D

Edited by microvax

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

*unexpected flight behaviour* Oh shiii*** ! What ? Why ? What is happening ?