JTAC for KA-50

I was reading a post from someone and he said: If the A10C has JTAC, then why is it not possible to add it for the KA-50? Now that I started learning about modding I thought: Let's have a go at this. Within an hour I was talking to Axeman 1-1 using the R-828 VHF-1 radio. "Smoke is on the deck!"

About this mod:

This modification will add the JTAC and AWACS to your radio menu. You will be able to communicate with them just as in the A10C.

Features:

- The R-828 channels were updated to commonly used VHF AM frequencies.

- The JTACs and AWACSes options were added to the radio menu and are functioning.

- JTAC transmits coordinates in L/L (DMS) format.

- Kneeboard integration

Demonstration video: Nothing fancy, just showing how (well) it works. Using TGT point creation with ingress on TGT point and Willy Pete.

All information about this mod can be found in the manual (separate download, see attachments). This manual also includes instructions for using the R-828 and the PVI-800 for TGT point creation in the form of a step-by-step guide.

Version information:

V1.0

- initial release

V1.1

- Added instructions in the manual for changing the Weapons folder. Check-in line now works.

- New sound files to fix broken messages

- JTAC now uses L/L

V1.2

- Working with DCSW 1.2.1 and up

V1.3

- Ground Crew NVG and Turbo Gear bug fixed

- Added frequency table on the pilot's kneeboard (By Ebs)

- Added better sound for the Russian word 'And'

- Optimized folders for installation by JSGME

- Updated the manual

- JTAC now transmits DMS coordinates in XX'XX.XXX format instead of XX'XX.X

V1.4

- Working with DCSW 1.2.4 and up

V1.5

- Working with DCSW 1.2.6 and up

Thanks to Ebs, Kegetys, Puddlemonkey and the testers for their contribution...

JTAC&AWACS Ka-50 manual 1.3.pdf

JTAC&AWACS Ka-50 v1.5.rar

Edited by TurboHog
  • Like 6

'Frett'

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This can be used by Su-25T also? And maby A-10A and Su-25 that is coming with FC3?

(HJ)

Yes, all of them. P-51 as well. Even player controlled ground units but that wouldn't make sense. But first I'm going to test it for the KA-50 and see if I can use it in multiplayer without breaking compatibility...

• Like 1

'Frett'

wouldnt it make sense to insert LL coordinates for the shark ?

as far as i know (i might be wrong) its only possible to check LL koordinates in the abris :huh:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There are two types of fighter pilots - those who have, and those who will execute a magnificent break turn towards a bug on the canopy . . . .

http://www.youtube.com/user/schnarrsonvomdach

http://www.twitch.tv/schnarre

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Schnarre-Schnarrson/876084505743788?fref=ts

;1534466']wouldnt it make sense to insert LL coordinates for the shark ?

as far as i know (i might be wrong) its only possible to check LL koordinates in the abris :huh:

You can enter L/L in the PVI-800 very fast if you do it often... if you use a TGT point you can even ingress on target. However, elevation data is unknown and set at 0 MSL, so ingress on TGT point in mountains is confusing.

See current problems in first post. JTAC must use L/L. Can't figure out how to do that it seems that I can't edit this. Willy Pete is working great!

Edited by TurboHog

'Frett'

Added the manual to the first post. It includes some extra info about the PVI-800, the R-828 and about converting MGRS to L/L, which is still required (unless I can find a fix with the help of someone).

Waiting for the same someone's help to resolve one of the issue's.

Edited by TurboHog

'Frett'

... coordinates are not L/L

You can use SLMOD 6.1 from Speed http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=80979 to convert the coordination - but it will not work in Singleplayer Missions!

• Like 1

Playing: F-16C

Intel i7-13700KF, 64GB DDR5 @5600MHz, RTX 4080 ZOTAC Trinity, WIN 11 64Bit Prof.

Squadron "Serious Uglies" / Discord-Server: https://discord.gg/2WccwBh

Ghost0815

You can use SLMOD 6.1 from Speed http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=80979 to convert the coordination - but it will not work in Singleplayer Missions!

Most servers and almost all open servers are not running SLmod. There are other possibilities to convert coordinates.

http://www.earthpoint.us/Convert.aspx

Got this on my phone and was able to create a TGT point based on L/L coordinates 30 seconds after receiving the MGRS coordinates. You will have to be aware of the zone you're in all the time though, since the we live in 37T and 38T in our world :P

'Frett'

Most servers and almost all open servers are not running SLmod.

Which wouldn't be the case if more missions/mods were designed for it :thumbup:

Intelligent discourse can only begin with the honest admission of your own fallibility.

Member of the Virtual Tactical Air Group: http://vtacticalairgroup.com/

Lua scripts and mods:

MIssion Scripting Tools (Mist): http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=98616

Slmod version 7.0 for DCS: World: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=80979

Now includes remote server administration tools for kicking, banning, loading missions, etc.

Thank you for this initiative TurboHog. It is a great addition for Shark Pilots.

However, I can't get JTAC to respond. I noted that originally, in the first post you wrote that the virtual Pilot could not be heard (something similar is stated in the documentation under current problems and limitations), but that comment has been removed from the the first post and replaced with the video demonstrating its use where the pilot can be heard. Am I confused about the limitation? I also noticed that in the video, you comment that the radio is tuned to channel 3 VHF FM 32.000 Mhz, but the documentation states that the frequencies should be tuned on the VHF AM (page 4 under R-828 frequencies and setup). Incidentally, I can get the JTAC menu dialogue to appear in AM or FM frequency, but can't get a response in either.:helpsmilie:

Thank you for this initiative TurboHog. It is a great addition for Shark Pilots.

However, I can't get JTAC to respond. I noted that originally, in the first post you wrote that the virtual Pilot could not be heard (something similar is stated in the documentation under current problems and limitations), but that comment has been removed from the the first post and replaced with the video demonstrating its use where the pilot can be heard. Am I confused about the limitation? I also noticed that in the video, you comment that the radio is tuned to channel 3 VHF FM 32.000 Mhz, but the documentation states that the frequencies should be tuned on the VHF AM (page 4 under R-828 frequencies and setup). Incidentally, I can get the JTAC menu dialogue to appear in AM or FM frequency, but can't get a response in either.:helpsmilie:

It is FM modulation. I discovered the AM mistake today...

You can't hear your own check-in line because there is a part that is not covered by the Russian voice. After some time the JTAC starts talking...

- Don't forget to tune in on a frequency. (Wait untill the light fades)

- Don't forget to set the SPU-9 selector to VHF-1 and check that VHF-1 master switch is in the 'on' position.

- Oh, and not every JTAC is on 32.000 VHF FM. See the channel table in the manual.

Then, by using the SPU-9 PTT, select the JTAC and start talking.

If you're having problems with the radio menu itself. Check this post.

Awesome job TurboHog!!

Thanks for that contribution!

Thanks! Your welcome :)

Edited by TurboHog
  • Like 1

'Frett'

It is FM modulation. I discovered the AM mistake today...

You can't hear your own check-in line because there is a part that is not covered by the Russian voice. After some time the JTAC starts talking...

- Don't forget to tune in on a frequency. (Wait untill the light fades)

- Don't forget to set the SPU-9 selector to VHF-1 and check that VHF-1 master switch is in the 'on' position.

- Oh, and not every JTAC is on 32.000 VHF FM. See the channel table in the manual.

TH,

Check, check, check and check. I had things set up properly, it just wouldn't work with the mission I was attempting to use it on. Made a scenerio from scratch and it works as advertised. Brilliant addition.

Thanks again.

• Like 1

TH,

Check, check, check and check. I had things set up properly, it just wouldn't work with the mission I was attempting to use it on. Made a scenerio from scratch and it works as advertised. Brilliant addition.

Thanks again.

Great! Good to know that it is working for other people.

More feedback always welcome! Wondering if anyone tried to use in multiplayer already? I've had no problems so far.

I've also released a training mission for this mod. Check it out here.

'Frett'

Nice, it seems to work.

It also seems to be quite easy to modify the JTAC communications so that when flying the Ka50 it gives the coordinates to you directly in latitude/longitude. With minimal effort I already got it to say "north 42.6943212 east 41.6683924" by modifying 'Sounds\speech\nato.lua'. Maybe modifying ussr.lua would make it work on russian side as well.

Also if you copy around some of the differently named sounds under 'Sounds\Speech\Sound\ENG\DCS Ka-50\Player' so it matches 'Sounds\Speech\Sound\ENG\Common\Player' (many are missing but you can substitute some other sounds) you can hear your checkin as well. The errors of what files are missing come up in the error log/debug output.

• Like 2

As a cyborg, you will serve SHODAN well

http://www.kegetys.fi

Nice, it seems to work.

It also seems to be quite easy to modify the JTAC communications so that when flying the Ka50 it gives the coordinates to you directly in latitude/longitude. With minimal effort I already got it to say "north 42.6943212 east 41.6683924" by modifying 'Sounds\speech\nato.lua'. Maybe modifying ussr.lua would make it work on russian side as well.

Also if you copy around some of the differently named sounds under 'Sounds\Speech\Sound\ENG\DCS Ka-50\Player' so it matches 'Sounds\Speech\Sound\ENG\Common\Player' (many are missing but you can substitute some other sounds) you can hear your checkin as well. The errors of what files are missing come up in the error log/debug output.

Hey man could you PM me the changes? I will add it in version 1.1. These things will be credited to you of course!

I've been trying to find what I had to change in NATO.lua but no luck.

For Russian side you must also make USSR units JTAC compatible. This makes mission incompatible with other players in multiplayer, I suppose.

EDIT:

HAHAHA the reason why the check-in line doesn't work is so extremely silly. Go to \DCS World\Sounds\Speech\Sound\ENG\DCS Ka-50\Player and find the folder named 'Weapons' there. Rename it to 'Weapon'

Will also include in manual 1.1

Edited by TurboHog

'Frett'

I'm currently working on V1.1

The check-in line is completely fixed now. The problem was that a folder named 'Weapons' should have been named 'Weapon' and a sound file called 'Guns' should have been 'Gun'.

Thanks Kegetys!

Now waiting for some help with the L/L coordinates. If it works I will release V1.1 with an updated manual.

A new demo video will also follow to demonstrate the new features. It will be as if the JTAC was made for the KA-50 in the first place ;):thumbup:

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback (and the reps :P)!

Edited by TurboHog
  • Like 4

'Frett'

Wonderful mod!

What does "Willy Pete" stand for? "Way Point"?

Google is saying "White Phosphorus" but it doesnt make sense :smilewink:

white phosphorus grenade or smoke pot. :thumbup:

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||