Searching for Axis fighters wind tunnel data

Yo-Yo

• ED Team

Investigating the possibility of having a counterpart for P-51 in future I need help searching for the wind tunnel data of Bf-109 or FW-190 (or even Zero). I must say that it does not mean that the next flyable plane will be of these types :). It means that maybe an AI plane to shoot at will be added if we have good 3D model. But even an AI plane must fly at proper trajectory, mustn't it?

All available NACA resources have no necessary data. The British resources could contain something interesting because I am not sure I know them all. And German resources are still Terra Incognita for me because of my extremely poor German (as well as Japaneeze).

What kind of data will be priceless:

- wind tunnel or flight test measurements of lift carpet, L/D polars, moments, etc

- performance diagrams (though I have a lot, there is always something I would be very happy to get)

Only professional documents of WW II is required, not contemporary estimations.

Please, do not flood this thread - if you have questions and wishes, what plane to make first, you can write a private message :)

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

far be it for me to really know. but that request seems like... impossible. i just read this from a discussion on modding an old janes based sim. which seems quite a realistic scenario and adaptation thereafter seems plausible via using what we have got & "modern contemporary estimations". i know its old and not entirely related. but i dont think the actual information is really out there in any definitive form. or is it ? let me be corrected. the question is quite an old one. and the best answer some have come up with for the solution is to use what information we have about the mustang. note the german and british information is even harder to find. i know this isnt a help but i honestly believe contemporary estimations might be a better route. as there is without any doubt alot of guess work surely.

Unfortunately, this data for all WW2F aircraft is almost impossible to find anywhere. There is a lot of test data that is available for the Mustang, but they are not comprehensive. For instance, the data of the P-51D wind tunnel tests do not cover much of the range in the FLT file tables. This problem only increases for the British and German aircraft.

Therefore, any modification of the FLT tables will rely on some educated guesswork. The best anyone can do is to benchmark the flight parameters by concentrating first on the Mustang, and then applying the same procedures to the other planes and comparing performance.,

Edited by Ali Fish

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Investigating the possibility of having a counterpart for P-51 in future I need help searching for the wind tunnel data of Bf-109 or FW-190 (or even Zero). I must say that it does not mean that the next flyable plane will be of these types :). It means that maybe an AI plane to shoot at will be added if we have good 3D model. But even an AI plane must fly at proper trajectory, mustn't it?

All available NACA resources have no necessary data. The British resources could contain something interesting because I am not sure I know them all. And German resources are still Terra Incognita for me because of my extremely poor German (as well as Japaneeze).

What kind of data will be priceless:

- wind tunnel or flight test measurements of lift carpet, L/D polars, moments, etc

- performance diagrams (though I have a lot, there is always something I would be very happy to get)

Only professional documents of WW II is required, not contemporary estimations.

Please, do not flood this thread - if you have questions and wishes, what plane to make first, you can write a private message :)

Maybe you could find something for the LA-9 in Russian archives? I'd rather have a Russian counterpart than a German one. Fits the map a little better :smartass:

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

Not exactly what you requested but maybe helpful:

http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/fw190/ptr-1107.pdf

http://www.lexpev.nl/downloads/fw190a8.pdf No idea of the pedigree of this document, but it has what appears to be some pretty convincing charts

Well there you go, two docs that don't fit your criteria at all :D can I beta test the next fast jet now please?

...On a serious note, hope these help

System specifications: Computer, joystick, DCS world, Beer

• ED Team
Maybe you could find something for the LA-9 in Russian archives? I'd rather have a Russian counterpart than a German one. Fits the map a little better :smartass:

The earliest well documented in flight dynamics Russian plane that could be a counterpart for P-51 is MiG-15. Or I-15 or I-153 if you prefer this type of fighters. Yak's, La's of WWII period are extremely poor in exact data.

Russian design bureus or TsAGI archives had a bad habit to burn outdated documents instead of declassifying.

But I think that dogfight with MiG-15 is very boring... :)

Edited by Yo-Yo
  • Like 1

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

Don't know -

but how about writing a "official" request to the Deutsche Forschungsanstalt für Luftfahrt (DFL) in Braunschweig - ?

They should have all data that you are looking for.

And I'm sure the Germans where really great in storing this kind of data - even during war.

(maybe you will include a free-P-51D activation for them ;))

Here is the Russian article of a old wind-tunnel they used during war

>>>Большая аэродинамическая труба

I hope this link included all contact info.

Edited by PeterP

• ED Team
Not exactly what you requested but maybe helpful:

http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/fw190/ptr-1107.pdf

http://www.lexpev.nl/downloads/fw190a8.pdf No idea of the pedigree of this document, but it has what appears to be some pretty convincing charts

Well there you go, two docs that don't fit your criteria at all :D can I beta test the next fast jet now please?

...On a serious note, hope these help

Thank you very much, it really helps - nice manual in English with guns harmonization and many-many other useful things. And the test can be useful too.

• ED Team
Don't know -

but how about writing a "official" request to the Deutsche Forschungsanstalt für Luftfahrt (DFL) in Braunschweig - ?

They should have all data that you are looking for.

And I'm sure the Germans where really great in storing this kind of data - even during war.

(maybe you will include a free-P-51D activation for them ;))

Here is the Russian article of a old wind-tunnel they used during war

>>>Большая аэродинамическая труба

I hope this link included all contact info.

We will try to request - I think it's a right place to ask.

http://forums.eagle.ru/attachment.php?attachmentid=67779&stc=1&d=1341448959

This may be of use?

Can't we go and 'borrow' a FW190?

A while back I was reading the autobiography of Jeffrey Quill - 'Spitfire, a test pilot's story', when they had this problem they started cooking up plans to pinch one from France in 1942.

A Cpt. Pinckney and a handful of commandos (plus a understandably reluctant pilot - Mr Quill) were planning to pop over and borrow one for the duration so to speak - fortunately as I think is well known one was 'delivered' to S Wales in time to prevent the operation.

Hope the attachment works haven't test flown attachments before.

V

Incidentally the above mentioned FW190 was evaluated at RAE Farnborough in 1942 (according to Quill's account).

I have searched this evening on the UK public records office site for the report but couldn't find it, although the search engine is a blunt instrument.

There are other wind tunnel test results for various types, some non UK - will post again if anything comes up.

Discussion moved to chit-chat.

Please, do not flood this thread - if you have questions and wishes, what plane to make first, you can write a private message smile.gif

Gentlemen, in accordance with above request, please keep your posts as concise and OT as possible. This thread is specifically for aquiring data, if you want to discuss this topic, use the thread created in chit-chat.

Thank you.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

• 2 weeks later...

I think I may have something. Over on simhq there is a thread going with out of copyright material. Fortunately the thread seems have some material about both 109 G and the FW190 (along with the Spitfire mk ix pilots notes to name something.)

Unfortunately I'm not savy enough to download the stuff that could be of interest. (and I also don't have a real clue as to what you're looking for)

The thread can be found here:

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2888342/1.html