Video projection Sim

Guest masterwon

Guest masterwon

Im about to upgrade my system and Im considering going Vid projection.

Is anyone here doing the same? any tips on projector type , screen size?

I want to start with one at first and then build up to 3 screens.

thanks in advance.

I've used 1 projector in the past but am now much happier with a 46' LCD. You could set 3 of those up with an ATI card for a better (and possibly cheeper) result. Here http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1339888&postcount=153 and others here http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=66189&highlight=post+setup(metalwood?). Edit: haven't gone through this thread in a while. Damn there are some talented people out there.

Search is your friend:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=82133&highlight=projector+lcd

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=61019&highlight=projector+lcd

Edited by hassata

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Guest masterwon
I've used 1 projector in the past but am now much happier with a 46' LCD. You could set 3 of those up with an ATI card for a better (and possibly cheeper) result. Here http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1339888&postcount=153 and others here http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=66189&highlight=post+setup(metalwood?). Edit: haven't gone through this thrfead in a while. Damn there are some talented people out there.

Search is your friend:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=82133&highlight=projector+lcd

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=61019&highlight=projector+lcd

wow great pics. thanks for your thoughts

Guest masterwon

Just weighing in some further options. How would a 42' plasma serve as a screen for the A10 sim?

I have the tv sitting there but not sure how good it would be.

I've used projectors for years now and won't go back. Currently I'm running a Dell 5100 HD proj. I don't have the room for three screens and I'm satisfied with the one screen for now. If you do go the three proj. route make sure you buy three of the same type so you don't have any differences in image quality.

As for the TV try and see what its like (especially if you already have the TV).

Just weighing in some further options. How would a 42' plasma serve as a screen for the A10 sim?

I have the tv sitting there but not sure how good it would be.

Image retention is going to be an issue with a plasma display. Anything that stays static on the screen for long, will leave a shadow behind.

I speak from experiance as I tried using a PS3 on a plasma. Thankfully the resulting shadow of the map display in GTA wasn't permanent and slowly faded away with time/use watching movies. Which I guess is really all the plasmas are intended for... movies/tv. Still can't beat them for their deep black-levels and superior colour saturation.

-Mack

From what I understand the image retention is pretty much a non factor in new plasma panels these days but that could depend on how different manufacturers deal with it. The only issue I have with plasmas is the grainy look up close. I would have a plasma over LCD in my house for critical movie watching but not for my flight sim when sitting close.

I was recently thinking of going to a curved screen with two or three projectors. Right now I have 3x42" lcd's and the resolution is really good with around 160 degrees wrap around.

I can tell you what turned me off projectors for the mean time. You need to get short throw projectors so that you can get a large image without the projector having to be 4M behind you. Short throw projectors don't come in 1080p resolutions, they are mostly 1280x800.

I have a good horizontal fov with my screens but it would have been nice to get a larger vert fov. BTW, if you have not sat in a pit with 3x42" screens then when you finally do you will probably not want more but having lived with it for a while everything gets smaller in time. When I got my 50" plasma it was huge. It feels a lot smaller now.

Back to the point. I don't think that I could live with the decreased resolution of a short throw projector. I would be getting a much larger display area using only half the resolution.

If I was flying FSX and I had a pit with all the displays/gauges etc in the pit and the projectors only dealt with the outside visuals then I would go for it.

I was worried that for a lot of sims where I dont have the gauges in my own pit that the resolution would be too low for me to want to read the cockpit gauges on the projected image.

The 42" screens do give a really good image at a high resolution.

Well for a tight space Metal, you need a first surface mirror to increase image size. I have a 8' area to throw the image so my projector beams at a mirror on the wall from about 2' away and gains me 4' of throw distance. With my set-up I get a little over 100" in screen size. And I totally fit your description of someone who has gauges on a secondary screen but even still it was fine for flying before having the sec. screen.

I'm currently shopping for a projector, will hopefully pick up an Optoma HD20 today. (1080p native)

Right now I have the BenQ MW712, which will do 1080p, but is 720p native, and I've found the picture quality is lacking in DCS, FSX, and movies I've watched.

If I wanted to spend a little extra money, ($1500 cdn) I would get the Optoma HD33 which is 1080p, 3d ready.

Well for a tight space Metal, you need a first surface mirror to increase image size. I have a 8' area to throw the image so my projector beams at a mirror on the wall from about 2' away and gains me 4' of throw distance. With my set-up I get a little over 100" in screen size. And I totally fit your description of someone who has gauges on a secondary screen but even still it was fine for flying before having the sec. screen.

Yes it's acheivable but starts to get to be a real pain in the a** when you are doing it for triple projection and have to line them all up well enough for edge blending etc.

Guest masterwon
Image retention is going to be an issue with a plasma display. Anything that stays static on the screen for long, will leave a shadow behind.

I speak from experiance as I tried using a PS3 on a plasma. Thankfully the resulting shadow of the map display in GTA wasn't permanent and slowly faded away with time/use watching movies. Which I guess is really all the plasmas are intended for... movies/tv. Still can't beat them for their deep black-levels and superior colour saturation.

-Mack

Plasma turned out fantastic and free because its my TV as well. I just bought a $30 converter and a 5 m cord to tv for the Pic . even though the converter max resolution is 1024 x 768 the image is crystal clear even from 10ft away .No image or static issues and have set the screen blackout on the pc for 5 mins so should be okay.

Guest masterwon
I have just tested the HD20 i picked up today and am really impressed. Couldn't be happier... bought it used off craigslist for $600!

HD 20 looks like you got a great deal. I like the 4000/1 contrast

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-HD20.htm

How does the inst panel look like, can you see all the numbers easily?

How far from the screen do you sit? Im still leaning towards 3 screens considering the hog has a 3 split already in its software

Benefits to both large format and PJs. Have run both over the years for different sims.

The last two panasonic 50" plasmas I have used have had no issue with image retention.

Currently run a triple 40", but have used 32s, 40's, 42s and 50's over the years.

Projectors are nice too.....This one is a friends, but use the same for my full size 737 hardware based sime. A bit more dialing in involved with curved screen (edge blending and warping).

4881405513_359d8c2648.jpg

IMG_7090.jpg

4890116979_947421514e_z.jpg

Geez.. That's a very nice setup. How is the input lag on those monitors for gaming? I've heard horror stories about huge input lag using a TV type monitor. Also, the model number you're using.

I'd really like to go with a big monitor like that for every day computer use and gaming.

Terminal, here is a link to some answers for the 3 42" screens I use

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1206813&postcount=21

I dont have input lag and I bought one to check before I went out the next day to get the other two.

When I researched input lag I saw that most of the information on the net was posted years ago and is obsolete. Unfortunately there is no specific information saying that things are better now so now the net will mostly return out of date information which doesnt help people now, if anything it helps turn them off.

There are a lot more console gamers now than us guys and the tv makers had to cater for that.

HD 20 looks like you got a great deal. I like the 4000/1 contrast

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-HD20.htm

How does the inst panel look like, can you see all the numbers easily?

How far from the screen do you sit? Im still leaning towards 3 screens considering the hog has a 3 split already in its software

EDIT, sorry bad links to pics.

IMG_20120222_101447.jpg

IMG_20120222_101232.jpg

Here are a couple pics of the projector running in 1080P. The screen size is 68", the pj throw distance is 9' 4" right now, and I sit around 7' from the screen.

When I have time to finish the room, those distances/sizes will be a little higher, but its a temporary setup for now.

So, I have no problems seeing gauge numbers, or text on web pages.

Edited by crazysundog

I was strolling around today and past a TV place that had some projectors set up. One in particular stood out with the projector ony 6ft away and a stunning clarity so I bought it on a whim . Well actually I have been toying with the idea for 6 months or so.

BenQ MX613ST DLP "short throw" Projector..3d ready and 1024 x 728 res.

now I really will need a reason to leave the house

Edited by cheap charlie

Thanks you all for great Thread!!!

Thanks for this information !!! the line i was looking for was:

"If I was flying FSX and I had a pit with all the displays/gauges etc in the pit and the projectors only dealt with the outside visuals then I would go for it. "

If you are only using one pc in your flight simulator then you are generally running more than one monitor off your graphics card. Different sims provide different ways to display gauges etc on the second/third/fourth display.

Thats how it's done on the ED games, for other games like FSX there are other ways which allow you to get more performance, e.g. different computers running different displays for the same aircraft views and instruments.