Build-Up in Patara Valley

EDIT: V1.1 uploaded - First upload was still in a test state.. heh sorry bout that.

v1.2 - 20120203 - Fixed reported issues. Added ability to recall SEAD with F10 if you want to take AA assets out yourself.

This is the first of four missions set in the Patara Valley, near Tbilisi. The other missions will be posted as soon as they're cleaned up.

1. Build-up in Patara Valley

2. Battle for Patara Valley

3. Patara Valley NightCAS

4. Retreat from Patara Valley

Video and mission outline:

Best in 1080p full screen

Mission 1 of 4: Build-Up in Patara Valley

====================

Highlights:

- SP or MP

- SEAD reports mud tally and kill

- If you breech the AO before SEAD complete, support bugs out to prevent blue on blue

- Mission indication if AA clear

- You can request intel on AA location (F10) for each one still active (if SEAD fail)

- Enemy convoy bottleneck on two roads(MM61/MM63) FTW

====================

FLASH MESSAGE:

The lead mechanized forces for an impending full scale Russian invasion are moving toward Tiblisi. Your elimination of these support vehicles will soften the blow of the main incursion.

Two elements of Apaches are currently executing SEAD ops to eliminate no less than ten Russian anti-air assets in preparation for your strike.

STRIKE ORDER, USAF EUCOM

1. Take off from Vaziani, fly NOE low and hold low at WAYPOINT ONE(1) over Tblisi

2. Standby for indication that anti-air assets have been eliminated

3. On command, proceed to WAYPOINT FOUR(4) following NOE low along the Mtvari river to ingress the enemies rear flank

4. If no immediate visual, contact JTAC for talk on to targets to the EAST and to the SOUTH

TARGET: Russian support vehicles

LOCATION: ELINT tracks forces moving east inside WAYPOINTS THREE to SEVEN(3-7)

Due to restrictive terrain and lack of roads, firelines are expected to form at grids MM63 and MM61

SUPPORT ELEMENTS:

AWACS - MAGIC 7-1 (E-3D Hawkeye) at 127.5 MHz AM

CAP - SPRINGFIELD 1-1 (F-15C Eagle) at 127.5 MHz AM

SEAD NORTH - UZI 1-1 (AH-64D Apache) at 127.5 MHz AM

SEAD SOUTH - UZI 2-1 (AH-64D Apache) at 127.5 MHz AM

AFAC NORTH - UZI 3-2 (OH-58D Kiowa Warrior) at 30 MHz FM

AFAC SOUTH - UZI 4-2 (OH-58D Kiowa Warrior) at 31 MHz FM

1_BuildupInPataraValley_v1-2.miz

Edited by StrongHarm

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

Thanks Aces! The next mission, Battle For Patara Valley is what all the other missions are built around. It's super large scale. The premise is a WW2 scale battle in a cold war type setting.. what might have happened. Besides a battlefield with 300+ vehicles on each side (it runs fine with incremental AI activation.. I'll talk about that when I lauch it).. there's also four side missions that can be activated by contacting command. One of the side missions has audio from a real CAS mission. I put many many hours in it and I'm very proud of it. I have to work a few bugs out then I'll launch it. Should be in the coming week I hope. The other two missions NightCAS and Retreat received good reviews from my test subjects :) NightCAS has Red and Blue forces battling between two cities that are about a mile apart. In retreat the Russians are trying to make it back across the border through a huge mountain pass.. you have to rout them so they won't return.

Edited by StrongHarm

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

Looking very cool Strongharm!

You mentioned in the other thread you have a version with Ka-50s in it, any chance you can release that version or perhaps modify it slightly for dedicated server usage? (implement SLmod to compensate for lack of F10 functions)

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

i remeber the original had bad framrates on my pc... has this one been optimized for crap rigs like mine?

Yeah, I've spent quite a bit of time optimizing it. I'll be interested to hear how your sytem takes it.

You mentioned in the other thread you have a version with Ka-50s in it, any chance you can release that version or perhaps modify it slightly for dedicated server usage? (implement SLmod to compensate for lack of F10 functions)

Thanks buddy! I'm on it. Are you thinking a Blackshark dedicated version, or Warthog/Blackhawk co-operative? I'll try to have it up tomorrow.

Try this out Grimes. I've not thoroughly tested it yet. If it looks good I'll post it in a different thread.

Be sure to read the mission briefing. This is the same as BIPV, A-10C.. but SEAD is now Blacksharks instead of Apaches. It all plays out the same, unless a Blackshark pilot logs in, then the AI Blacksharks RTB to make way for the client Blacksharks. All 10 AA assets are marked as PVI targets, but NorthSEAD and SouthSEAD have them marked in reverse order (Southern most target marked as TGT01 for SouthSEAD, Northern most target marked as TGT01 for NorthSEAD).

If anyone has time, I'd appreciate mission feedback so I can troubleshoot and post a final. Thanks :)

EDIT: see v1.2 below

Edited by StrongHarm

Flew it for a while (unloaded one inventory of armament on the enemy)..

- fun and quite an easy mission.

Short distances to fly, great for quick instant action with a lot of targets and stuff happening around you.. You get a nice feeling of being part of something...

Took a peek in the ACMI/TACVIEW track, and WHOA - there's a lot going on :)

The Track-file was over 100 megabytes in the approx. hour I stayed up..

I can fly for 2-3 hours online with 4-6 friends and the track is only 20-40 megs :)

Nice mission, thanks!

The "radio" told me that the SEAD failed or died... and told me to proceed..

Then after a few minutes, after I engaged a SA-13 that I found from the F10 menu, the Apaches managed to kill the other 2 remaining SAM assets..

- Somehow, some trigger thought they failed...

Also, the F-15s lawndarted on their own.. Looking at the ACMI-track, they just flew straight in to the ground .. maybe raise them up a a few thousand feet? .. or was my experience just a fluke?

Sometimes I Amaze even Myself!

Thanks for the feedback!

1. The 'fat log' is probably caused by the MLRSs firing. I only need to really have two of them fire during the Hawgs holding patern over Tbilisi.. the others I'll hold fire so they just become targets. My intention was to allow the pilot in pattern over the city, to see the city start burning to give the feeling of 'being in the sh**'. I'll tone the other MRLSs back and that should also increase the performance.

2. SEAD is set to fail after 600sec if they're not done with all the AA assets. There's an AI task for 'SEAD RTB, Hold fire'. Problem is, they seem to continue to attack if they already had something targeted. I'll test and modify.. thanks!

3. There seems to be a problem with the F-15s if they orbit at AGL instead of ASL. After the furball spawns and they kill the migs, I should have them switch waypoints and orbit high. The logic says ' when a hawg is in zoneX, spawn a fighter furball in front of them'. This also is designed to give the feeling of 'being in the sh**'.

I appreciate the feedback, it's hard to test a mission of this scale alone. I'll make these changes and post v1.3.

Flew this mission today and enjoyed it. Feedback I would have:

I too had the "SEAD Fail" and then AA continued to count down until all destroyed. A little confusing at first, but I just assumed other units destroyed the remaining AA and continued the mission.

My rig really struggled at times, it was a bit of a slideshow during the taxi and furball, but sped up later on.

There seemed to be two predators orbiting the AO with the same group/unit ID (0102) which makes them flash on the TAD. Either that or there was a single predator jumping position by around 10 miles every second. This was a little distracting.

The odd zu23 or strela to keep us on our toes would have been good as once established onsta, there wasnt really any threats, but I understand what you were trying to do there.

It was cool seeing the ammo dumps go up!

Overall I enjoyed it, and am really looking forward to the next.

Cheers

[url=http://www.aef-hq.com.au/aef4/forumdisplay.php?262-Digital-Combat-Simulator][SIGPIC]http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/2500/a10161sqnsignitureedite.png[/SIGPIC][/url]

Tried it last night using my pooter as a server. CTD twice in a row before I gave up. I am assuming it's because Im on wireless along with three other PCs in the house but was wondering if anyone experienced same?

Asus P8P67Pro, Intel i7, 8gb DDR3, OCZ Vertex3, 120gb SSD, GForce GTX 560, Cooler Master GX850, Win 7, Logi X 3D Pro.

Tried it last night using my pooter as a server. CTD twice in a row before I gave up. I am assuming it's because Im on wireless along with three other PCs in the house but was wondering if anyone experienced same?

If you're trying the Warthog/Blackshark coop mission, it's multi only. You can start a server on LAN rather than the internet if you want to fly it alone though.

There seemed to be two predators orbiting the AO with the same group/unit ID (0102) which makes them flash on the TAD. Either that or there was a single predator jumping position by around 10 miles every second. This was a little distracting.

Confirmed, I had this same issue. There are 2 Predators in the air.

And add this:

I had to de-tune 127,5 since ... well, after the SEAD did its work,

The Comms got swamped with "XYZ, RTB, at 3000" or something last night..

It just repeated over and over and over again. Can't remember the callsign anymore.

Sometimes I Amaze even Myself!

All issues reported prior to this post should be resolved. Also, added ability to recall SEAD with F10 if you want to take AA assets out yourself.

I see 18 people have tried the new version. Thanks for checking it out.

Has anyone seen any bugs or negative behavior in the Hawg version?

Anyone have any feedback on the Warthog/Blackshark co-op version? (still need to bring this version to 1.2)

Hi, I tried it, thanks for the mission! Ran a little choppy too, there seemed to be a lot going on though! I didnt do particularly well so had to RTB after wasting most of my weapons and havent had another chance. Must be a great one for MP!

Technical Specs: Asus G73JW gaming laptop... i7-740QM 1.73GHz ... GTX460m 1.5GB ... 8GB DDR5 RAM ... Win7 64 ... TIR5 ... Thrustmaster T16000m

Yes, I apologize for the system resources required for this mission. Although I did try to optimize, there are dozens of triggers, and vehicles on each side, all targeting one another. Also, the detail of the city of Tbilisi on top of MLRSs causing fires there, causes a significant system resource drain. This mission isn't as bad as the next in the series. I would suggest to anyone with a system having trouble with Build-up In Patara Valley, not attempt to run Battle In Patara Valley when I release it.

Also, You may try lowering Scenes, Visib Range, Water, Shadows, MSAA, and HDR. If you have system resources being eaten by other processes, a good solution is to run GameBooster, it turns all that off when you play games, then turns it back on for normal operations afterward.

Edited by StrongHarm

It seems I get random crashes on any mission I host. I dl'd your 1.2 which has only four a10 slots. You say you have one with a10s and BS? I know a couple of regular players have asked about BS availability so if you have one could I get it?

Asus P8P67Pro, Intel i7, 8gb DDR3, OCZ Vertex3, 120gb SSD, GForce GTX 560, Cooler Master GX850, Win 7, Logi X 3D Pro.