Strix Cheap Sim!

Strix

Well at first I was not sure if I want to share my home built cheap pit.

But I cant let you be without it :)

I started building the consoles provide by Dimebug.

First Left side, made with MDF, with a few panels, made from scrap 6mm wood panels I got at home. Made 2 layers for getting right the height to the Throttle. Then I printed out a overlay and laminated it and punched hole in it for switches.

Then I thought that I should make so many switches that I don't need the keyboard to start up the A-10, so I continued to build on right side panels by panels, no rush here! cant afford to do it to fast....

Then I started to use MDF as panels to. But still I was not satisfied, after reading how some ppl make there panels I now days use 4mm acrylic as top and 6mm MDF as bottom. And I think this is the best solution I can use for now.

So fa I havent done much flying :cry: only building.

I started out buying GP-Wiz40 USB interface, first one, then I buy two more, then I realize that it wont be enough with 3! Then I found out about brydlings interface and got me 1:) It is mounted in right console and the GP-Wiz is in left for now.

I gone buy 1 more from brydling when he fixes so it can handle encoders.

So far so good.

I will NOT build the whole front of the pit, only the MFCD and UFC and some switches underneath, I don't have the space to do it, because I use my computer to racing to and other games, so I need my desktop for that...

I use 3 monitors, 1, 27" and 2, 19" and I use TrackIr.

I will buy the THRUSTMASTER MFD Cougar Pack later and try fitting LCD behind.

I made UFC by my own :joystick: It works, but its not as fancy as some makes them :music_whistling:

I use switches of medium size and small size, toggle is about 17mm on medium and 10mm on small. Cant afford real thing....

So if you have any questions, ask me!

BTW!

I have my computer under the seat!!

Feels nice and warm......

IMAG0178.thumb.jpg.9925947b3c80da33f580003d568dcaf0.jpg

IMAG0179.thumb.jpg.ecc4f961eec4787a8c3aaa83f8eda67d.jpg

IMAG0180.thumb.jpg.4dbcbb538ebc5aa5dd4132f0006360fd.jpg

IMAG0183.thumb.jpg.43738e7862153dfedd98bb3828b7d0dd.jpg

IMAG0181.thumb.jpg.7b716601ce15f0dcc6e244fa3c1a161c.jpg

IMAG0182.thumb.jpg.45b3e2b78ef2be5bfffdd28f30149682.jpg

Edited by Strix
Front update
  • Like 1

Win 10 64. GTX1080 ti 11 Gb, Intel i-5, 16 Gb ram, SSD 1,5 Tb, 2 Terrabyte HD, Monitor ASUS XG32V 144Hz, Slaw Milans Rudder Pedals BF109F :thumbup:, Joystick - HOTAS Warthog, Throttle - HOTAS Warthog, TrackIR V5. Pimax 5.

Now, that's nice. Along the lines of what I'd like to do if I ever find the time and space. Functionality without going all fancy. I think I'd go for rail side panels with dzus fasteners for easy maintenance and reconfiguration. Big challenge would be to keep the ability to fly MSFS, race cars and last but not least do office chores, programming and the like. Anyone seen a good swing-role home pit? :D

Very cool! The stick mount is well done, and the panels look awesome!

TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Cougar MFDs, TrackIR 5, 3 23" monitors, 19" monitor (for MFDs), GTX 570, GTX 560 Ti, 64gig SSD, 8 gigs ram, i7 3.4GHz, 1K PSU, 2.1 speakers, all wrapped up in a "leftover plywood" home-built cockpit.

PPL

Very nice pit! How does it feel when flying?

Is that really your office computer at the same time? I noticed the card reader for the internet bank ;) How does your arms feel after some hours using the mouse and keyboard from that low seat? :)

Digital-to-Synchro converter for interfacing real aircraft instruments - Thread

Check out my High Input Count Joystick Controller for cockpit builders, with support for 248 switches, 2 POV hats and 13 analog axes. Over 60 units sold. - B256A13

www.novelair.com - The world's most realistic flight simulators of the J35J Draken and the AJS37 Viggen.

Very nice pit! How does it feel when flying?

Is that really your office computer at the same time? I noticed the card reader for the internet bank ;) How does your arms feel after some hours using the mouse and keyboard from that low seat? :)

Luckily I go pretty high up when mounting my new racing seat! A bit to high for racing and flying... And that's because I mounted my puter underneath the seat! Before I used the famous IKEA office chair!!! (everybody has one as flight seat :megalol:) I was lower then now. And that was not fun for my hands!

The computer frame, made of square aluminum 19 mm built like a box to accommodate my puter, is 26 cm high, and the seats mounting adds 8 cm!

Best thing is that I can move the seat front and back without moving frame :D So when I mount the stick, I pull the seat forward like a car-seat until the stick is on the seat, then I lock the stick in place above the seat. So it is between my fat legs in a good place. And back when I want to leave the seat without moving the stick.

Damn thing is that the stick is to high to go under the table, so I have to sit back a bit to much from my monitors., but I think I will saw a half round hole in the desk :doh: so I can move forward a bit! Gone make the hole mountable with the piece I cut out so I can use my hands on the desk when I don't fly.

Only crap with having the computer under you behind, is that it geting a bit hot there :eek:

BTW

Flying, brydling?!

Whats that? I only build :book:

Shame to say, I haven't done any flying sins I got my new seat :cry: I am still trying to build the radio panels, only the rotating switches and regular switches so far.

I always get shoot down when I try killing enemy's :dunno: I am not so good yet....

Hate to lose!!!

Edited by Strix
Forgott

Win 10 64. GTX1080 ti 11 Gb, Intel i-5, 16 Gb ram, SSD 1,5 Tb, 2 Terrabyte HD, Monitor ASUS XG32V 144Hz, Slaw Milans Rudder Pedals BF109F :thumbup:, Joystick - HOTAS Warthog, Throttle - HOTAS Warthog, TrackIR V5. Pimax 5.

Thx Guys!

Always nice when some one likes your work.

• 4 weeks later...

MFCD

I bought 2 LCD monitors 8", 4:3 format, VGA, to fit behind Thrustmasters Cougar Pack.

I found them on E-Bay 99$ each inc. fright!!

So now I will build a piece of the front inc. the MFCD and UFC. I must make it removable, I gone put it in place when flying.

So far I have almost completed the radio panels with switches. And a new interface from brydling.

I started to use acrylic on top of MDF when building panles, but I think I will use only acrylic in both layers, 4-5mm in bottom and 3 mm in top to hide nuts.

That damn MDF is dusting like hell when sawing or drilling in it...

As always the pic is bad due to a use of phone camera....

Gone post photos when progress is made.

IMAG0192.thumb.jpg.d7a4683c0c954858bcaab1012b13f3e1.jpg

Edited by Strix

First look of MFCD and UFC in same construction!

Made it of acrylic 4 mm.

(Notice the full paper basket!!)

Gone drill hole for buttons and mount the UFC board behind the acrylic and let the buttons stick out in front.

Screens will be mounted behind, and when I get the Cougar MFD I will either mount them in front of acrylic or cut out a hole for them so they get close to screens.

For now I will not cut any holes in front of screens, I will see how it looks before I do that.

To be continued!

IMAG0199.thumb.jpg.84c0c27260e8570bfb39fc9f8984d59b.jpg

MFCD, UFC

Monitors and UFC mounted on acrylic.

Bad pics as always! :music_whistling:

IMAG0203.thumb.jpg.beefbe885a6df74954e042a8791ba154.jpg

Hi Strix ,

good looking pit !!!

where did you get the MFCD square screens?

what r they dimensions ?

Thanks

If you mean the 8" monitors, I got them on E-Bay, 98 $ each. I got them for 90 $ each!! Including shipment!!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300479078667&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:1123

They are 4:3 !! Not 16:9 that don't fit as well as 4:3.

The frame are 200mm*160mm, 35mm thick! Screens 160*125mm

VGA connector.

Hope u got what u wanted.

Strix

Update

Now I have connected the 8"

It was a mess to make them work!

I do have crossfire and the 2 DVI was connected to my first card.

When I connected the VGA on second, only 1, 8" work t

I did have to connect 1VGA on one graphic card and the other on the second!

Couldn't make it work otherwise...

BTW!

Screens connected to second card don't work in crossfire mode!!

IMAG0208.thumb.jpg.141b7b1e026f1ecbaaa633d37446a203.jpg

Edited by Strix

Did not check yet!

Will do later.

If it affects the framerate, I will remove the pics in MFCD on cockpit-display I think.

Edited by Strix

I did check the framerate!

I did use the Training/Navigation lesson.

With all MFCD about 10-14 frames!

Only 8" MFCD about 12-16 Frames!

I gain 2 FPS without the 2, 3D MFCD!

Got maybe 1-2 more fps in SoftTH!!

Standing at airport gives a low fps, 8-9 fps!!

Was trying to land only using throttles!! Did succeed, but could not hold it straight down runway... So I went of in the dirt...

But managed to turn 180 degrees and land from 16000 m? or feet?

I did run it with HIGH settings before, now LOW, and I don't see much differences!!

Damn, need better cards!

Ohhh....

Forgot, I use full screen to!