Steam Sale! DCS: A-10C for $20 till Nov 28th

kylania

As a side note, if you feel limited by your controller while waiting for an opportune time to purchase a new stick or HOTAS, you can always make use of the various gameplay options to simplify flight control, avionics etcetera.

That said, I definitely recommend spending some time with those tutorials. Might take a while, but it will be very rewarding when you find yourself "getting it". :)

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Already Installed it from Steam :-|

Same system as from digitalcombatsimulator.com.

This is due to the fact that the Steam DRM system does not support 64-bit applications.

Hi!

I'm another that made the purchase after the most generous of sales from Steam.

Perhaps unfortunately, I've already downloaded it from Steam. Now I see that it's apparently best to download it here.

So should I uninstall my current install and download and activate the version from this site?

Thanks!

Flying Nutcase

It should actually be the same version, as far as I know. Some people just find it easier to work with when you don't have to adhere to things being handled by Steam - for example there might be issues with modifications you want to use if Steam decides to autocorrect any "errors".

I'd say: if it works fine right now, don't worry about it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

|
| Life of a Game Tester

It should actually be the same version, as far as I know. Some people just find it easier to work with when you don't have to adhere to things being handled by Steam - for example there might be issues with modifications you want to use if Steam decides to autocorrect any "errors".

Thanks for the reply Ethereal. I've spent the last couple of weeks following wagmat's YouTube vids and studying the manual, and now the time has finally arrived to jump into the cockpit. It sure beats the IL2 '46 "push the i button for engine start." :-]

Kudos,

Flying Nutcase

I'm a noob here so be gentle...

So... I go to STEAM and purchase a download code. Then, I head over to the DCS site and download the sim/latest patch.

Then, I use the key to "activate" the sim (not sure what that means)...

And violla! I can play... BUT...

What do I do if I build a new rig or reinstall, etc... DO I just keep the downloaded "key" and activate again?

ok, here'e the message I got in an email frm STEAM. Note sure where I get the "activation key"... I have a STEAM account I opened for IL-2 COD, but that seems to be a STEAM only type game as far as updating, etc... If I understood previous posts right, I should be able to download a key and then get A-10 directly from the DCS site? Yes?

---------

Dear Tom,

Thank you for your recent purchase on Steam.

If you’re new to Steam, install the free Steam application now:

http://www.steampowered.com/getsteam

To play your new games, just launch the Steam application on your computer and log in using your Steam account name: cavemanXYZ. Your games will be available in Steam on the “Library” tab.

Any Downloadable Content (DLC) you've purchased is automatically downloaded and will be accessible from within the base game on Steam. To view your new DLC from within your Library, right-click on the base game and select “View Downloadable Content.”

This email message will serve as your receipt. You can also access your purchase history online at any time.

Digital Combat Simulation: A-10C Warthog </SPAN></B>

19.99 USD

Subtotal

19.99 USD

Tax

0.00 USD

Total

19.99 USD

Payment Info

American Express ending with HELP

19.99 USD

Confirmation Number

Date Confirmed

Sun Nov 27 01:51:29 2011

For help or product support, please visit http://support.steampowered.com.

The Steam Support Team

http://www.steampowered.com

Edited by Cavemanhead
Edited for security

The purchase is now tied to your steam account. You can install steam anywhere, anywhen, log in with your account, download and install the game, as many times as you like. The only limitations are that you A) Must have an internet connection to start it the first time and B) You can only be logged in at one location simultaneously.

I don't think DCS has any DRM on top of steam, but I didn't buy my copy through steam, so I'm not sure.

Caveman - welcome to the forums :)

Just be careful what you post on an open forum - I edited your post to remove what looked like a serial key of sorts for security reasons. Can never be too careful.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

The purchase is now tied to your steam account. You can install steam anywhere, anywhen, log in with your account, download and install the game, as many times as you like. The only limitations are that you A) Must have an internet connection to start it the first time and B) You can only be logged in at one location simultaneously.

I don't think DCS has any DRM on top of steam, but I didn't buy my copy through steam, so I'm not sure.

Thanks. My question is how do I purchase from STEAM (as I did) yet NOT use STEAM to download the game as suggested on p. 1 of this thread? Installing instead from the DCS site getting the latest patch, etc from them. A few posts indicated there's an "activation code" that can be used after downloading the sim from DCS...

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/index.php?scr=product&ProductId=10&end_pos=135&lang=en

Download all these. Install, basically all you need steam for is to store your key. Each time a new patch comes out you just download the new ones and use the same old key.

Thanks. How do I access the key... Does DCS go looking for it automatically, do I write it down, etc...? I went to my steam account and I see my A-10 purchase there but nothing about an activation key...

Thanks. How do I access the key... Does DCS go looking for it automatically, do I write it down, etc...? I went to my steam account and I see my A-10 purchase there but nothing about an activation key...

Not sure, don't use Steam myself.

Always remember. I don't have a clue what I'm doing

there's no problem with mod and Steam, but peoples need to know they will disable the auto update of steam ( right click in steam DCS A10, and uncheck auto update ). ( or the game will check the integrity of the files and will surely make an update of them if they have been mod )

@cavemanhead... If a key is asked... right click on the DCS A10 in the Steam game list, you have the option to see the key there, choose copy to clipboard and then control V for copy it ( the game don't need to be installed for see the key ) you will get the copy of the key and can use it on the install....

Edited by Lane

- I7 2600K @5.2ghz ( EK full Nickel waterblock )

- Gigabyte P67A-UD7 B3

- 8GB Predator 2133mhz

- 2x HD7970 - EK Nickel EN H2o block

- 2x Crucial realSSD C300 Raid0

- Black Widow Ultimate - X52 -TrackIR 5

- XIfi Titanium HD

- Win 7 x64Pro

To use Steam-purchased key with other download options:

Start Steam.

Select Library.

Right-click DCS A-10C.

Select "View Game CD Key"

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Just bought, its downloading now at a amazing thunderspeed of 500 kbps...steam sale :)

I7-4790K with Corsair H110 / Asus Maximus VII HERO / 2 x 8 GB Corsair Platinum 2400 / Asus GTX980ti / OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB for OS / Corsair ax760i / Corsair Carbide 540 / Samsung EVO 500GB for games

/ CM 690 / Track IR5 / Logitech Extreme 3D / Saitek Proflight yoke, rudder & two USB throttle quadrants / Saitek X55 /

VRinsight TT planel / Thrustmaster T500RS / Samsung SM P2770HD / 1000 cables.....

What's with the price discrimination USA/Europe... 20$/25€?!?!?!?

In my country 25€ is 33,5$... that is so sad... :(

This is to blame: VAT (PDV)

Basically Steam applies 20% tax even you are in a country that has lower VAT tax or doesn't apply one on software.

Just one of the reasons I prefer GoG, besides the no DRM stance.

Edited by Mustur

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Also, don't forget that the relative values of currencies change. If they were to "equalize" those today, it would not be long until one or the other is once again crying foul. :P

(In fact, roughly a year back, the conversion ended up 100% fair at the dollar-for-euro there when adjusted for euro-VAT.)

Edited by EtherealN

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Wait, wait... you mean like a game is an exported good when leaving the USA, by Internet???

In USA it doesn't have tax to it and elsewhere it does?!?!??

We're talking Internet here man, not local markets... WTF!??!?!?

Can someone explain really in detail...?

Thank you...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

...the few, the proud, the remaining...

Wait, wait... you mean like a game is an exported good when leaving the USA, by Internet???

In USA it doesn't have tax to it and elsewhere it does?!?!??

We're talking Internet here man, not local markets... WTF!??!?!?

Can someone explain really in detail...?

Thank you...

Steam Subscriber Agreement:

B. Shipping & Risk of Loss

This is a shipment contract. All Merchandise will be shipped FOB Blaine, Washington, unless Valve designates otherwise on Steam in connection with a particular order.

If you are an international customer, you acknowledge that Merchandise will be shipped from the United States and that you are responsible for any applicable import duties, customs fees, and taxes. Valve's liability as to delivery ceases, and title and risk of loss for the Merchandise will pass upon Valve's delivery of the Merchandise to a transportation carrier at the designated shipping point.

If you pick up the Merchandise from Valve's place of business, title to and risk of loss will pass to you when Merchandise is placed at your disposal.

H. Pricing and Payment for Merchandise.

In addition to the above, the following terms apply to pricing of and payment for Merchandise. The prices for Merchandise displayed on Steam are subject to change at any time without notice. Charges for shipping, handling and tax may not be included in displayed prices for Merchandise but will be displayed during the purchase process, although such displayed prices may not include all taxes, duties, and other fees that you may be obligated to pay to applicable government authorities.

Shipping and handling charges displayed on Steam may or may not reflect the actual charges paid by Valve. All war-risk, marine, or other insurance; harbor charges; tolls; wharfage; demurrage; wharf handling; duties, or warehousing charges are excluded from Merchandise prices displayed on Steam and are your responsibility. You may be obligated under applicable local law to pay additional import duties and fees.

You must pay all applicable sales and use taxes, value added taxes and other taxes levied on you by any taxing authority on any Merchandise purchase in any country where such transactions are otherwise subject to tax, regardless of the method of delivery.

Any taxes owed by you (i) as a result of purchasing Merchandise or the payment of any fee, (ii) that are required or permitted to be collected from you by Valve under applicable law, and (iii) that are based upon the amounts payable under this Agreement, must be remitted by you to Valve. Failure on Valve's part to invoice you for any such taxes does not relieve you of the liability to pay such taxes.

You will promptly reimburse Valve for all taxes or other charges imposed upon Valve by any national, state or municipal government upon the sale, use, production, or transportation of Merchandise.

Et al

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

We're talking Internet here man, not local markets... WTF!?

Actually, you are making it too complicated for yourself.

The difference between purchasing a product on Steam, and purchasing a product on mail order, is that in one case delivery occurs via wires, in another by lorry. In both cases you are making a purchase on a good, from someone, and have it delivered and taxed. Remember, this does not only apply to local markets! Indeed, import goods are often actually under a higher duty pressure whatwith all import duties (N/A between European Union states, but otherwise applicable, including some non-EU but Schengen-signatory states).

But yes, in your words: it is an exported good just like any other.

There used to be a time when it was possible to purchase directly from Steam in dollars, and without VAT issues etcetera, but if I understand it correctly this ceased to be possible when they moved european business into a european subsidiary, which technically does indeed make it local markets. (I believe european transactions are made to the UK, but I'm not 100% sure on that.)

Anyways, with that handled, back onto the topic eh? :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Hi guys, just a quick update. I went ahead and ordered the HOTAS Warthog (I hope I don't a get a dud) and TrackIR5 for a grand total of gulp.. £418. :cry:

I'm thinking of going the whole hog :) and getting rudders and a MFD cougar panel pack. Which rudders would you recommend and is the cougar worth getting? Am I right in thinking I wouldn't need to touch the keyboard or mouse with the cougar?

Am I right in thinking I wouldn't need to touch the keyboard or mouse with the cougar?

Still a myriad of buttons you need to press, ie at startup, Master Arm, TGP on etc etc so you'll need a mouse at least for the interactive cockpit. That said, when the going gets rough you'll be more than OK with the HOTAS and MFCD's.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]