SP and MP: "Dawn Patrol"

Bahger

This is a new mission, my first in about six months but easily my best, I reckon, FWIW.

It's deceptively simple, a 2-ship sweep for armored vehicle convoys, but an unexpected occurrence forces the player to reconsider his tactical approach to the mission goals and presents several ways to approach the mission. SEAD (2x Tornadoes) has been integrated very successfully within a high-threat environment. There is a Predator AFAC. The mission has custom voice radio messages from a NATO mission commander on the ground. As simple as the basic mission appears, it requires some tactical decision-making and a fairly advanced level of proficiency in the jet.

I've tested the .miz exhaustively in SP. It plays very well but as certain factors are influenced by the player's timing and proximity to elements on the battlefield, it will be interesting to see how it plays out for you. MP should work well, too and will reward good teamwork/comms between flight lead and his wingman.

All comments welcome.

Dawn Patrol Singleplayer version

Dawn Patrol Multiplayer version

Just flew it. Now that I've got my CTDs ironed out, the 97s and 105s worked beautifully. It was interesting to see them NOT hit their mark as they wouldn't with tanks charging along at 60 mph. Flying in at 12000 ft, setting the heights for 1800 with the TGP locked in on the first tank had them explode way too late. I reset to 1200 for a second pass and only got the tail end. With a bit of guesswork I did better having the TGP locked 100 meters ahead of the column and deployed at 1200. Bloody good fun, tho.:)

Asus P8P67Pro, Intel i7, 8gb DDR3, OCZ Vertex3, 120gb SSD, GForce GTX 560, Cooler Master GX850, Win 7, Logi X 3D Pro.

Thanks for taking it for a spin, jeffy, good to see you again.

Shootist, thanks for the AAR, I really appreciate it. Those tanks never go over 30 mph, anything much faster than that, in formation, would be science fiction. I tend to drop in CCIP so that I can eyeball how much to lead the pipper. Or you can plink the tank at the front with a Maverick and then follow it in with bombs as once the Mav hits, the remainder of the column will stop for a short time without dispersing too far. If you wre at 12,00ft, how did you deal with the defenses? Did you leave them to the Tornadoes?

Bahger, thanks for the mission but there were 2 major problems:

1. When I arrived at the target area, I had only a few minutes to locate and destroy the targets (at night, without precise coordinates) - there is not enough time if I do the proper startup procedure

2. You forgot to give us wingman radio frequency so I could not communicate with him.

also, IMO there is no need for AIM-9 and full fuel (50% is enough).

i7 920@4.0Ghz, 12 GB RAM, ATI 4890, LG L246WHX@1920x1200, Saitek X52 Pro, Saitek pro flight rudder pedals, TrackIR4, Audigy 2ZS, Logitech G9x, Vista 64bit.

Bahg

Those tanks sure do look like they are rolling along a lot faster than 30. I did have that thought about stopping the column with a Mav. And I did hunt down the AA first nailed one and directed my winggie at another. Loadout was 2 105s, 2 97s and six Mav Ds. Goin back now to try the Mav trick + I'll try ccip on the second column with a 105

Asus P8P67Pro, Intel i7, 8gb DDR3, OCZ Vertex3, 120gb SSD, GForce GTX 560, Cooler Master GX850, Win 7, Logi X 3D Pro.

Goldfinger: Sorry about that: 251.1 UHF.

Rainmaker/Goldfinger: There is plenty of time to find/kill the convoys based on a ramp-start time of about 8 minutes. It used to take me longer but I had to learn to keep up with my squadron-mates in the 1st VFW. Sorry if it's a bit tight for you but with a little practice there is no reason why you should not be taxiing by about the 8 minute mark.

Shootist: I think the tanks look like they are going faster than they are when you're zoomed-in in the TGP and they are moving in high-aspect (i.e. across your field of view). Also, I may be wrong but I don't think you can drop 105s in CCIP. I believe they are WCMDs that can only be deployed in CCRP. FWIW, I have found the AI wingie very effective against the moving columns. You can use his SPI if necessary to find them, and roll in on what he leaves after his first pass. The trick is finding and killing both columns in the time available.

Edited by Bahger

Rainmaker/Goldfinger: There is plenty of time to find/kill the convoys based on a ramp-start time of about 8 minutes. It used to take me longer but I had to learn to keep up with my squadron-mates in the 1st VFW. Sorry if it's a bit tight for you but with a little practice there is no reason why you should not be taxiing by about the 8 minute mark.

Agree to disagree to a point. I can do a startup procedure in under 8 minutes but a preflight is not about speed ordinarily. That was my reason for asking about the time. I probably, normally, do a little more preflight stuff then most as far as reloading weapons configs and other setting adjustments that I like. Scrambling for me would be a different story. Our personal pilots step atleast about 20-30 minutes before taxi time for this same reason. Sure, during a GAB or other issue, you can preflight faster if you need to. Of course this isn't real life and only sim, just pointing out that some may enjoy a little more time, as I do, to set and verify settings prior to taxi. Not a huge deal as I can adjust it on my end through the editor as needed but just offering an opinion.

:beer:

Shootist: Order your #2 to attack armor if he's spotted some or you know it's in the vicinity. If he draws a bead on it, you'll see a blue targeting line connecting his a/c with his SPI in your TAD. With TAD as SOI, put your TAD cursor over that SPI and make it yours own with TMS up/short then long.

Rainmaker, point well taken. This is a scramble mission, really. I'll give players a little more leeway next time.

Rainmaker, point well taken. This is a scramble mission, really. I'll give players a little more leeway next time.

Then I can completely understand the time constraint. I could plan accordingly of course if the situation deems it so. I just didn't know the initial design point of the mission so that's why I asked initially.

Good mission!

Bahg. Try Kashuri Gap. I crashed when my winggie got a sucessful hit with a 105 on that one.

Furthermore, I tried CBUTest mission again, I think by Roigat to find that I still crash in that one. These are, of course 09 version missions and yours is made in 10 ver. Wondering if it really makes a difference and how would one edit these to make them 10 version missions.

Edited by Shootist

I wish this worked in 1.0.0.9 >_<

ME and my friends rolled back due to the FPS problems with the latest patch. I played it on 1.0.1.0 and it was quite cool. CTD for 1.0.0.9 though. I know I can't expect you to support old versions of the game, but just sayin.

• 4 weeks later...