Operation Gridrion MP

Joyride

"Operation Gridiron" (4 or 8 player co-op)

Coalition forces have prepared a snatch and grab mission to capture a key insurgent commander that has been behind renewed enemy activity in the region. The enemy commander, codename HUSKER, is believed to be located in a heavily fortified residential and military compound 8 km west of Nalchik.

http://files.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/110077/

Zip file includes 4 and 8 player MP co-op, plus the maps. Difference in 4 and 8 player is simply volume of targets/threats.

Sorry for the long mission brief that's included, but it's a time-on-target, heavily coordinated effort between flights. Total flight time 1.5-2 hrs. Night ops skills a must!

OGI-TARGETAREAMAP.jpg

OGI-RECONPHOTO1.jpg

OGI-RECONPHOTO2.jpg

Edited by Joyride
  • Like 1

Wow deephouse,

Looks like another classic. Can't wait for the weekend to host an MP session.

Good idea with the flares. Yes yes. yes.....

Loadout:

2x AIM-9

2x AGM65D

6x Mk82

2x GBU-12

LUU-2 Illumination Flares

TGP

Cheers

Edited by redfish

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AEF 161 Squadron CO ~~~ My YouTube Channel ~~~ "We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering." The Shoveller ... Mystery Men

Tried this last night, had a lot of fun. I was on Tusk flight and we pretty quickly took out the Strela and Shilka at the stadium. My wingman ended up getting one Ka-50 with a sidewinder, but since he'd never used them before I ended up getting the other with a GBU-12, aww yeah. Nothing like LGB'ing a flying (well, OK, hovering..) target!

Pig flight ran into a much more trouble though. Some SAM launches on their side and a lot of accurate AAA fire. Both their planes ended up going down and I retasked to take out their targets.

We never got any information about UZI/VIKING moving into the compound though. I saw their helos hovering nearby, but not entirely sure they ever went in. Also the vehicles trying to sneak through Gap X were stopped on a road near the edge of town and were easy pickings.

Since I was out of weapons and almost out of fuel at that point and the only plane still up I headed back to base. The unfortunate thing was Kutaisi airfield has crap for runway lighting and I forgot how to adjust NVGs so wasn't using them due to glare from the HUD and I may have slammed into the ground on landing and exploded in a glorious fireball that finally properly lit up the runway.

We never got any information about UZI/VIKING moving into the compound though.

Glad you enjoyed it, Kylania. Sounds like UZI/VIKING never left it's hold point since the defenses at the compound staying active. They won't insert into the compound until all are destroyed. As such, with no Seals on the ground, you didn't get the calls of them operating. Additionally, since the enemy didn't see helos/Seals infiltrating the compound, the reinforcements were never called in from Nalchik (and were thus easy pickings as stationary targets).

The mission is dependent on the air defences and tanks/APCs going down at the compound, and relatively fast. Makes me want to add a message letting the players know that's what holding up the mission, though...thanks for the comments!

Kylania - if you didn't hear any calls from Viking as they were inbound (6 min, 3 min, 1 min call etc) then it would have been some AAA or the SAM on the east & west ridges (in the photo 1 above) still left that they were holding on to be destroyed. Also, per the photo above, there are also ground vehicles (MBTs, IFVs) at the garrison area and near the north main gate that need to go down as well, or Uzi/Viking will have a rough go.

• 4 weeks later...

We flew this one last weekend, had a blast, It's a good mission, and it actually feels like a mission. You make one trip out, and one trip back :thumbup: This mission is more about team work and doing your job. Not saying that missions where you do multiple re-arms and refuelings over the course of hours aren't fun either- otherwise, why would I have made a mission like that myself- it's just that sometimes, less is more as well.

A tip for anyone flying it: first time I tried this one out was with just two folks including myself, on the four player version, we got overwhelmed, even with custom, excessively over-loaded-with-ordinance aircraft. We just couldn't blow stuff up fast enough, and couldn't put our attention in enough places at the same time. If you are under-strength like that, I'd recommend not killing the air defenses at the enemy base until you've killed all the other enemies at the enemy base... otherwise, about the time you finish killing the enemies at the base, the enemies from the city will arrive concurrent with the friendly helos, and you will fail the mission. With four folks, able to divide attention better, things would probably work out differently. But with only two... yea... wait to kill those ADs at the enemy base till last.

The second time we flew it we had four folks though, but I made sure we waited to kill the AD till they were the last enemies at the base anyway. Things worked out pretty well, but even with every aircraft carrying 6XMavDs, 3XGBU-12 and 2XGBU-38, we let one tank slip by and get as close as about 2 miles to the base and helos before we noticed it and took it out. Turns out we could have probably done the mission just fine with the default load out though, we had some Mavericks left over and a bunch of gun. Sorry deephouse if you don't appreciate us carrying custom load outs, but after I had gotten overwhelmed with two ridiculously over loaded aircraft, I kinda erred on the side of caution :)

Also, good job balancing the mission to the point where it will keep four or eight experienced A-10 pilots on their toes the whole time.

Anyway, this mission was a lot of fun and we'll be flying it again I imagine.

Edited by Speed

Intelligent discourse can only begin with the honest admission of your own fallibility.

Member of the Virtual Tactical Air Group: http://vtacticalairgroup.com/

Lua scripts and mods:

MIssion Scripting Tools (Mist): http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=98616

Slmod version 7.0 for DCS: World: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=80979

Now includes remote server administration tools for kicking, banning, loading missions, etc.

Thanks, Speed. I take absolutely no offense to those taking custom loadouts - I know this mission is a bear. We tested it a lot at the 1st VFW and generally had success (had some missions where there we reinforcements starting to shot at the Blackhawks as we hit them), but we fly together a ton and have the comms pretty much down. Coordination is huge in this one...can't get everyone fixated on the same targets or another will slip through.

DH, great mission again, although I have to agree with Speed the loadouts just aren't enough.

We had 3 flying the 4 miz, and we also took custom loadouts otherwise we just wouldn't have had enough to defend with. Only trouble was we had to reduce fuel amount for heavy loadout. On miz complete we headed back on fumes. I plugged into texaco, 1 made it back and 1 flamed out and after a very dark cockpit glide he crashed 2 miles short of the field (boy did we laugh).

We did take out air defence first as it allowed us to drop lower and use guns on soft targets saving the rest for harder/more difficult targets. I guess Speed wimped out and doesn't like to use his Gau ;) It certainly helped having 2 others who are great with comms & coordination. Prioritization and teamwork is the key to success.

My only criticism is with seeing units spawn. Apart from ground troops to simulate them coming out of buildings.

Thanks again for the mission. Keep em coming!

Edited by Druid_

i7-7700K : 16Gb DDR4 2800 Mhz : Asus Mobo : 2TB HDD : Intel 520 SSD 240gb : RTX 2080ti: Win10 64pro : Dx10 : TrackiR4 : TM Warthog : ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q

My only criticism is with seeing units spawn. Apart from ground troops to simulate them coming out of buildings.

Thanks again for the mission. Keep em coming!

Thanks, Druid. I'll have to take a look and see what spawns...all of the reinforcements in Nalchik are already there, just go AI-ON via triggers. Some troops spawn (activate) in the camp but sounds like you saw something else. Do you remember where/what it was? Thx.

tbh it was one of the guys who I was flying with, he was orbiting over base whilst I took my turn at targets approaching on Road. He reckoned a couple of tanks spawned but just maybe they sneeked in unnoticed and he's making excuses for his poor surveillance:music_whistling:

i7-7700K : 16Gb DDR4 2800 Mhz : Asus Mobo : 2TB HDD : Intel 520 SSD 240gb : RTX 2080ti: Win10 64pro : Dx10 : TrackiR4 : TM Warthog : ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q

tbh it was one of the guys who I was flying with, he was orbiting over base whilst I took my turn at targets approaching on Road. He reckoned a couple of tanks spawned but just maybe they sneeked in unnoticed and he's making excuses for his poor surveillance:music_whistling:

Yea, probably so... I made a few *slight* additional edits (sorry but I needed to test my units_hitting function (configured to report friendly fire) in a long mission), and checked out the triggers, and I only ever found units with AI off going to AI on, except for the infantry at the base, which must be activated from a inactivated invisible mode. So if there ARE vehicles spawning in from invisible, I didn't see them in the ME myself. I think your wingie was just making excuses, unless there is some bug where AI off units could sometimes be invisible until AI is turned back on. THough... I didn't check the whole units list. A hidden group could always spawn without a trigger just based off of a start time. Could have slipped by deephouse's attention if he forgot about em...

Edited by Speed

Intelligent discourse can only begin with the honest admission of your own fallibility.

Member of the Virtual Tactical Air Group: http://vtacticalairgroup.com/

Lua scripts and mods:

MIssion Scripting Tools (Mist): http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=98616

Slmod version 7.0 for DCS: World: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=80979

Now includes remote server administration tools for kicking, banning, loading missions, etc.

• 4 weeks later...

Updated (v2.0) to swap British Tornado GR.4s out for German IDSs. Noticed today that with the 1.1.1.0 patch, there are no default loadouts for the GR.4s, so the SEAD won't work now on the old version unless you manually change the loadouts to carry ALARM anti-radiation missiles.

we had play this tonight. while holding at IP waiting for the tornado's to do their thing. next thing we knew, the tornados called RTB without engaging the SA6.

i was shot down by AAA along with 1 of tusk flt an the other tusk flt CTD after receiving a SPI. the other pig flt NOE'd to the SA6 and successfully strafed it.....hmmm!

Asus x99, i7 5930k, 32g mem, MSI 1070GTX, 970 Samsung M.2, LG 35in Ultra-Wide, TrackIR 4

Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I noticed that also, ver 2.0 the Enfield flight never fired on the SA6 at the airbase. They just called RTB. Any suggestions?

P.S. This may be caused by a known and reported bug affecting SEAD action in 1.1.1.0. Hopefully it will be in the Hotfix.

Edited by WarriorX

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hm, the four pilot version really needs the entire two flights firepower... our poor special forces dudes got waisted last night... ;)

Ha ha... when the rumble starts, with all the tracers in the darkness of the night, one is rushed to commit all sorts of suicidal attack runs to save his brethren...

Once again, great mission!!! :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

...the few, the proud, the remaining...

Hey Deephouse, thanks so much for updating this mission. I am looking forward to flying it.

P.S. Just flew the mission and paid close attention to the Enfield Sead flight..I enjoyed the new comms for their engagement, but I never saw an AGM-88 come off the airframe of either plane. The SA6 at Nalchik was knocked out though and that is what counts.

Edited by WarriorX