FaceTrackNoIR working in Win7 x64 with Sandy Bridge...step by step

Before you start, I suggest you ensure your system is pretty fresh. I ran into major hold ups due to device driver & codec conflicts that existed on my system prior to starting.

Part of troubleshooting lead me to reinstall Windows (which was long overdue anyhow). If you system has any issues, I'd suggest you figure those out before proceeding.

My system specs (for the record):

• Intel i7 2600K @ 5.1GHz
  • Asus Maximus IV Extreme P67
  • 2x4GB G.Skill DDR3-1866
  • 120GB Vertex 3 SSD & 500GB Seagate Momentus XT hybrid drive
  • 3x GTX 580 in tri-SLI
  • 2560x1600 Samsung 305T+
  • Windows 7 x64 Ultimate SP1
  • nVidia Forceware drivers 280.26
  • Logitech Webcam 9000Pro
  • Saitek Cyborg Evo Force FFB joystick (FFB not working yet :joystick:)

1. Download and install the faceAPI portion of the SeeingMachines headtracking Demo (after the 1st portion of installation when faceAPI finished, you can cancel the rest)
  2. Download and install the FaceTrackNoIR v130 program.
  3. Download the FaceTrackNoIR v150 update and extract the files to the FaceTrackNoIR directory overwriting the original files (I made a small donation to the FaceTrackNoIR author and he sent me the v160 update, I do not know if the v150 will work with my setup or not).
  4. Download the ED API interface x64 dll package and extracted the headtracker folder (with contents) into the game's "bin" directory.

headtracker.png
  5. Next, start the FaceTrackNoIR program, and load the DCS_A10C.ini file (its in the headtracker folder you placed in the bin directory).
  6. Then select "faceAPI" under "Tracker Source" and select "Freetrack" under "Game protocol".
  7. Now press the "Start" button under the faceAPI option...your webcam image should be displayed on the left side and within a few seconds it should detect your face and highlight the tracked area in yellow as shown below.
  8. Next I spent a couple hours ALT-TAB'ing in and out of the game adjusting my curves until I found myself pretty happy with the following settings.

translations.png

rotations.png

Make sure you have decent lighting illuminating your face...indirect lighting is best, I made a video of my current settings so you can see it in action.

Edited by miahallen

• ED Team

The above method works, I also made a small donation to facetracknoir and was sent the 1.6 update.

Just need to tweak my settings and get used to the head track itself

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team

Its taking a lot of getting used to for me, but I can see the benefits if I keep going with it :)

My main problem is, it seems to sensitive.

I have tried to adjust the curves and neutral zones, but it just seem to pick up every movement of my head.

Am I right in thinking the neutral zones are like dead zones on a joystick, or have I got it completely wrong lol.

from the facetrack site:

Smoothing

To process the raw headpose-data, FaceTrackNoIR has two features: smoothing and EWMA-filtering. Both features are meant to stabilize the raw headpose-data and remove spikes and jitter.

The smoothing setting works for all 6 DOF's at once. It adds the values of the last x raw values and divides them by x, thus creating a 'moving average'. Try to keep this value low, because smoothing will logically lead to a slower response.

Filtering

From version 1.5 on, FaceTrackNoIR has a new EWMA-filter. It was designed to respond quicker to movement and still provide a smooth image, when not moving.

The parameters:

Min. (frames): influences the filters response to quick movements. The higher, the slower.

Max. (frames): influences the filters response to slow movements. Again, the higher, slower.

Curve (pow): influences the filters readiness to respond to changes in speed. Here, the higher the value, the faster it responds.

any tips or pointers appreciated

Edited by BIGNEWY

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

yes, neutral zone is like deadzones.

to deal with the high sensitivity, I use a smoothing of 20, a min of 80, a max of 80, and a curve of 10 or 20 I dont remember.

Still, it varies day by day depending on the lighting and also how many frames Im currently getting in game (at least it seems that way). Some days my view will go where it should with minimal shakes, others it will start doing 360's and bounce everywhere. Free software i guess huh?

System:

i7 920 @3.8ghz; GTX 560ti 448; 6gb DDR3 1600 ram; 750gb HDD; 750w PSU; Win7 64bit; x52 Pro; TrackIR 5

• ED Team

thanks for the reply !

yes its the chance you take with free software, they put a lot of work into it for little reward, and I am certainly great-full as it has saved me buying trackir so I can save for my thrustmaster hotas warthog lol.

will play around a bit more and see if I can do better with my settings :)

Thx for the tut, but I see quite big lags. Picture moves too slow compared to your head. Can be it adjusted? I tried to run this app but I got only error, later I'll try use your tip :)

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

I have:

---------------------------

faceAPI Error

Failed to initialize APIScope: Unspecified error

OK

So far it seems this program still needs much to do :)

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

Accurate & responsive head tracking with HD resolution + very wide FoV video head set is the way forward. I think this is a much closer reality than some of the investments in full body tracking and 3D with very mixed results.

I hate to say it but what we really need is one of the next-gen consoles to adopt this and pony up for the dev costs and get such a device into mass production. Sony atleast seems to like video headsets atm....

I have:

So far it seems this program still needs much to do :)

It's a known issue...pony up and donate for the v1.6 ;)

http://facetracknoir.sourceforge.net/manual/knownissues.htm

Accurate & responsive head tracking with HD resolution + very wide FoV video head set is the way forward. I think this is a much closer reality than some of the investments in full body tracking and 3D with very mixed results.

I hate to say it but what we really need is one of the next-gen consoles to adopt this and pony up for the dev costs and get such a device into mass production. Sony atleast seems to like video headsets atm....

Ever heard of Kinect :music_whistling:

It's a known issue...pony up and donate for the v1.6

seems the much vaunted 1.6 is being held to ransom..... what happened to "freeware"?

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Like some other people here I have not been able to get it to work. I have followed the correct steps (I believe) but have not been able to get it to work with fc2 or black shark.

I am using windows vista 64bit and I have:

Installed the faceapi file

Installed facetracknoir (including the update to version 1.5)

I then placed the headtracker folder into the bin directory of both fc2 and blackshark.

I start facetracknoir (as administrator) with the profile set to the dcs a10c .ini file in the respective bin directory. I then set the output to freetrack.

Facetracknoir seems to track my movements perfectly.

I then start fc2 or black shark (as administrator) and nothing happens. I have tried the various key combinations listed (including alt+c) but it still doesn't work!

I would be very thankful If anyone could help me out!

[on a side not my bin directory seems empty except another folder labelled x86. Within this folder I find another named stable which seems to contain all the .dll files that other people's bin folders seems to contain. Any ideas?]

Thanks in advance for anyone's help!

• ED Team

If you have a newer processor you will need the facetracknoir 1.6 update, either wait for it to be released or make a small donation.

It has been working well for me, although I have been limited to a logitech webcam at 30fps, I have just ordered a ps3 eye camera which will track at 120fps, once it arrives and I have it installed I will report my findings here. :)

I tried the version from the website with the 1.50 update. Seems to work ok on my laptop's webcam (apart from the already mentioned lag), but causes the simulator.exe to crash upon exiting (the standard "DCS A-10C has stopped working" message related to MSVCR80.dll), though that doesn't seem to cause any problems to the main exe as I get the mission report anyway.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

I'm sorry, I can't help it

Intel i7 2600K @ 5.1GHz

Asus Maximus IV Extreme P67

2x4GB G.Skill DDR3-1866

120GB Vertex 3 SSD & 500GB Seagate Momentus XT hybrid drive

3x GTX 580 in tri-SLI

2560x1600 Samsung 305T+

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate SP1

nVidia Forceware drivers 280.26

Logitech Webcam 9000Pro

Saitek Cyborg Evo Force FFB joystick (FFB not working yet )

HOLY S***! What'd that run you, 2 arms and your life savings? Jesus Christ xD

Been using FTNOIR for a while now, and am beginning to get it to behave like I don't have parkinson's in my neck :P We'll see how it goes. I may very well get TIR5, though.