Ragtop's A-10C Build

Ragtop

Well, I never thought I'd be making one of these threads!

I've always been a very relaxed gamer, once every couple of days or so, and never for too long. I'd always been a Warthog fan since LOMAC, which I got into in about 2005-6. Always sucked at it though, never took the time to learn the controls!

I got an X-52 as a christmas present which really marked a turning point for me, making sims FAR more playable than with my Microsoft Sidewinder.

Over those couple of years I faded in and out, and settled at the faded out part unfortunately.

Until that is, I saw DCS A-10C in Beta! I was totally hooked and followed every article, forum and video from the announcement.

So, here we are, a few months down the line. I bought the TM Warthog, TrackIR 5, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals, bigger displays, a new headset for multiplayer (Got that today infact, so I'll be online very soon!) But nowhere to put it all.

I scoured the web for a LONG time, looking at all the amazing simpits, messaging a lot of builders (Very helpful builders too!) and trying to come across ideas. Then I saw Dimebug's AWESOME modular pit design, and my mind was made up!

I'm going to build the consoles first, followed by a generic ACES II seat, and a generic centre console/keyboard/display stand, which will eventually become a replica centre console as by the plans Dimebug has released.

I'll be posting my progress/questions in this thread, so your comments/feedback will be greatly appreciated.

On with the show...

Edited by Ragtop

476th vFG Alumni

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting Started

So, today marks the first pit build I have ever done. Infact, today marks pretty much the first serious carpentry I have ever done, that being said, don't expect perfection, but expect a lot of pencil marks, a lot of offcuts, and a lot of swearing!

First I went and picked up my supplies. I worked out that I could fit everything onto a single sheet of 2440x607mm MDF (Standard size here in the UK), which was perfect. I set off drawing everything onto the sheet and began cutting away! You can see my saw guide, a piece of hardwood clamped to the surface, worked perfectly for guiding the circular saw.

After I had all my pieces cut out as blanks, it was time to start drawing up the detail cuts and getting to work. As you can see by the last photo, I've only done one of the detail parts, and thats only half done so far! I need a protractor before I can continue! So I'll be picking one up after work tomorrow and making a template with the first piece, to trace onto the rest.

I can already tell this is going to be a very long process, but I'm very excited to be where I am so far.

Once again, I should mention that all credit for this design (Not that I've got much of it to show just yet!) should go to Dimebug, he's the genius behind it!

IMG_8394.thumb.jpg.c70319037cefe251a15c60e367cd55dc.jpg

IMG_8400.thumb.jpg.3745e255f64737a5a4e8d728ef3b2e3c.jpg

IMG_8401.thumb.jpg.8a5503f74953bf3c8b98351c3e3b23a0.jpg

IMG_8407.thumb.jpg.329db9c5663a773f3f9daceee37db66d.jpg

476th vFG Alumni

Once cuttoff done, you have finished with the hardest :-) (about the main structures).

It would be nice if people send PM to me and inform me that they're using my drawings, this way, we could create a list of builder, a kind of builder group sharing tips and eventual modifications and eventually meet builders of their area.

Coming from the man himself, that gives me some confidence!

Great idea about a builders list, I like the idea of discussing any problems we've faced etc.

I'm actually picking up a protractor right now, posting from my lunchbreak :P Itching to get home!

476th vFG Alumni

for sure, but i'm planning to visit few US state next year

If you do, stop by the Pentagon (it's easy to find) because I think some of the guys in the Air Force procurement department should talk to you. Your pit looks a lot less expensive than the stuff they are currently using!;)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Right Console!

I had work today, so I was unable to get as much as I'd like done, but nonetheless progress was solid and I'm happy so far. I Got the right console framework completed and ready to take a shell.

I must say at this point, starting completely green has been an amazing experience, I already feel like I've learned a world of things about carpentry, and I can only get better at this point. My first centre piece was a little poorly cut, but I really saw some improvements in the second piece, which was quite a confidence booster. One problem I did encounter was that the MDF I'm using did split in a couple of places. Luckily this is not going to be an issue as it's screwed in so many places, that it is still tight. From now on I will also be gluing my joints so I don't need to screw in so tight. I also found that pre drilling with a slightly larger bit solved the problem.

I'm glad I started on the right console - Something I'd advise everybody who builds these plans does. The reason is that you need to tailor the left side very perfectly to fit the TM:WH throttle, where the right side is just a panel board, allowing for the imperfections that follow the learning curve.

I'm going to be leaving the right console blank at first, acting simply as a place to put my mouse, flight documents and beers. After all the carpentry is complete I will start to tackle the electronics, something also completely alien to me at the moment! My deepest explorations with electronics have stretched no further than building an IR LED track hat to try with my webcam before I got a TrackIR (A world better, but we all knew that!). I'm sure I'll have a whole other world of problems awaiting me when I get to that point! When that day arrives however, I'll be starting with the battery and electronics panel I think, as my aim is to get as much of the startup procedure as possible, without using the mouse. It also looks like a fairly simple panel to build, no awkward shapes, and only toggle switches on it.

But for now, woodwork is taking up my life for the foreseeable future, that's for sure!

Anyway, enjoy.

IMG_8409.thumb.jpg.df6ed2ae3180b43c6997e04f49549e00.jpg

IMG_8413.thumb.jpg.135cb832fa4f50bfe549d4d748f67ec7.jpg

IMG_8410.thumb.jpg.24ffc88f816417416aea56a653c59803.jpg

IMG_8415.thumb.jpg.ffb2a140fa878fa55405b90ae2098c61.jpg

Edited by Ragtop

476th vFG Alumni

that looks really good ragtop:thumbup:, id love to do that but have no room or at least none thats not full of junk..:music_whistling:

AMD A8-5600K @ 4GHz, Radeon 7970 6Gig, 16 Gig Ram, Win 10 , 250 gig SSD, 40" Screen + 22 inch below, Track Ir, TMWH, Saitek combat pedals & a loose nut behind the stick :thumbup:

I did not see any blood on the wood so your carpentry skills are better than mine.;)

Seriously, that is looking nice and solid. On that subject, I am a firm believer in glue as well as screws or nails whenever possible/practical.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I think you've done really well Ragtop. You may find the more you build the more you'll want to build! i.e. add more and more detail.... pitbuilding does strange things to you!! :) lol

Asus Rampage II Extreme, i7 920 @3.8Gh, 6Gb Corsair Dominator 1600hz, Msi GTX 470 Twin Frozr, Corsair 850w Mod PSU, TIR 5, HOTAS WH

that looks really good ragtop:thumbup:, id love to do that but have no room or at least none thats not full of junk..:music_whistling:

You might be interested in doing something similar to what I was using before this build!

I actually used an old electric drum kit, you could probably find one the same in a charity shop/ebay for under $50.

First thing I did was stripped out all the wiring, took out the soft padding and made a wooden plate for the WH stick to sit on, screwed the plate into the drum pad and drilled some holes in the bottom so I can remove the stick without having to take out the plate.

Next I cut down the sides so I didn't keep hitting my knees on the pads, and smoothed them down with fine sandpaper. As you can see it's foldable so you can put it almost anywhere, has a fairly small footprint and is almost infinitely adaptable (especially if you got two kits, you could make a ton of attachments!

IMG_8418.thumb.jpg.4c2caf038cfe38b07e87826b972dbd83.jpg

IMG_8423.thumb.jpg.25512b39e962343ddb88ebbd70b38f89.jpg

IMG_8426.thumb.jpg.c9c331ad575f4f8ad6ea150909877659.jpg

476th vFG Alumni

Haha! Rockin' pilot :P

I've finished the left console and fitted the throttle now, so its just skinning the frames and then getting to work on the panels!

How would you guys go about fitting to the top of this frame?

Dimebug, in your plans it shows to use steel, how exactly would you fit this, there aren't really enough places to fit screws securely, and MDF splits apart when you put too much into it.

I'm a bit stuck at this point guys!

Pictures will come later on, for now, I'm off to the pub

Over and out!

476th vFG Alumni

One problem I did encounter was that the MDF I'm using did split in a couple of places. Luckily this is not going to be an issue as it's screwed in so many places, that it is still tight. From now on I will also be gluing my joints so I don't need to screw in so tight. I also found that pre drilling with a slightly larger bit solved the problem.

That's the correct way to do it. You can also buy threaded inserts to screw the pit together. You drill the part off the MDF that receives the screw and install the insert with the proper size allen wrench. Then you drill the hole in the other piece for the screw and assemble. You can tighten them very tight with the insert taking all of the pressure. I built several book shelves using inserts and they are incredibly strong. You can also disassemble/reassemble the project at a later date if need be. The inserts don't add too much to the total cost of the project.

Quick update

Had a longer night out than I'd expected, wound up getting home at 0330 with my friends house keys in my pocket somehow... My girlfriend was less than impressed :P

Anyway!

I got the left console built and fitted the throttle (which fits wonderfully, something I was more than a little worried about!

I'm late leaving for work so I better get off the computer!

Tonight I'll hopefully get onto the covering for the frames, but I'm still in need of help/suggestions with how I should mount the panel rails, any help would be very useful indeed.

EDIT - Ignore the tape on the bottom left corner, I was clamping it in place and didn't want to damage the wood surface, forgot to take it off :P

IMG_8431.thumb.jpg.371d99808f1d99b1ec26b3f5dea73709.jpg

IMG_8434.thumb.jpg.ed55024bf1c54663c7ca041266a054de.jpg

476th vFG Alumni

Got a couple of the side covers cut and ready today, but I'm helping move my girlfriend into her new place at the moment, life always getting in the way of pit building! :P

As a side note, two questions.

1) Does anybody know if it's possible to pick up the toggle switches used in the TM:WH throttle anywhere? I'd like to continue using the same switches for consistency and also because of the nice firm feel they have.

2) Does anybody have any photos of how the Hogs panels are constructed, from base to switch plate? It looks like there are a few layers to deal with. Materials, thicknesses etc would all be great to know. I don't plan on building anything as intricate as the real thing - (Klafaille/Y2Kiah I'm looking at you guys! Wowed by some of you guys skills!) But I'd like to see how people do it so I can get a gauge on what will work best for me.

Edited by Ragtop

476th vFG Alumni

Mil standard MS25212 is a one page drawing that details common dimensions for panels. You should be able download it using this link: http://www.everyspec.com/MS+Specs/MS2/MS25000-MS25999/download.php?spec=MS25212C.008526.PDF

If you'd like to know about the rails these units fasten to in aircraft, take a look at MS25213 http://www.everyspec.com/MS+Specs/MS2/MS25000-MS25999/download.php?spec=MS25213B.008527.PDF

If you'd like to know about the "DZUS" fasteners, see MIL-F-25173 http://www.everyspec.com/MIL-SPECS/MIL+SPECS+(MIL-F)/download.php?spec=MIL-F-25173A.015077.PDF

"DZUS" quarter turn fasteners aren't made by the DZUS company. They are made by DFCI Solutions www.dfcis.com and are part of their PA-3500 product line. A guy named Dzus developed them a long time ago, but lost the "DZUS" product trade name.

If you're interested in light plates, see MIL-P-7788 http://www.everyspec.com/MIL-SPECS/MIL+SPECS+(MIL-P)/download.php?spec=MIL-P-7788F.026180.pdf