My DIY analog gauges

PanelBuilder

Here's another:

1957470900_2011-09-1213-01-30_356.jpg.2f862d537e32206facfb760d1d5ee58d.jpg

2021233338_2011-09-1213-02-42_067.jpg.4ba73dea0c862383db752e878ebfbf8e.jpg

This one is an HS-311 geared to 270 deg.

As you can see, this one has no trouble doing full scale. It seems to have lots of power. And it's pretty cheap. It's a bit largish but stiill very usable.

Here's a comparison of the three servos I've used so far, showing relative force, speed, and price:

#1. HS-225BB__ 54 .14 $18

#2. HS-55______15 .17 $10

#3. HS-311_____42 .19 $8

Edit: Added first one:

Cheers,

Colin

Edited by PanelBuilder

• 2 weeks later...

Hey very cool setup. How are linking the hardware to dcs? Plus have you tried the bind keys from helios to drive the servo?

I am also working on analog gauges.. Keep us updated.

" I'm gonna have to be taking your car today. See I have some top secret clown business that supersedes any plans that you might have for this here vehicle."

Where are you getting the gears? Also have you looking into dual shafts at all? I have several gauges I want to make which require two needles (or three... yikes). I'm having a hard time finding some place that sells inner and outer shafts for use like this. I'm thinking of just buying coax helicopter shafts and cutting them up.

Where are you getting the gears? Also have you looking into dual shafts at all? I have several gauges I want to make which require two needles (or three... yikes). I'm having a hard time finding some place that sells inner and outer shafts for use like this. I'm thinking of just buying coax helicopter shafts and cutting them up.

I have gears coming form these folks for all 12 EMI gauges:

http://www.servolink.com/gearspec.htm

There's also these:

http://www.servocity.com/html/gears___sprockets.html

Next up for me is one of the gauges with the little inset dial. I haven't really thought about the coaxial shaft gauges. Maybe something out of a cheap clock ...

Cheers,

Colin

All you guys are going to make me go poor and my wife leaving me!!! Panel, if you end up making gauges like Alt/VVI/Airspeed/Fuel/all engine instuments/HYD all those things... and you make enough to sell... just a few questions. Can you use a more "realistic" needle? The one you're using is I'm sure just for the testing stuff, but looks kinda strange. Also, if you are making kits, would they be USB plug and play kits?

As I build my pit, I'm going to be wanting everything connected in a simple way... or would these need to attach to the servo card from say Opencockpits:

http://www.opencockpits.com/catalog/servo-motors-card-p-42.html?cPath=21_32

A-10C - FC3 - CA - L-39 - UH1 - P-51 - Hawk - BS2 - F-86 - Gazelle - F-5E - AV8B - F/A-18C

i5-4590 - GTX 1060 - Oculus CV1 - TM:Warthog

[sIGPIC]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic9979_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

Can you use a more "realistic" needle? The one you're using is I'm sure just for the testing stuff, but looks kinda strange.

Yes, well, it's a popsicle stick.

Also, if you are making kits, would they be USB plug and play kits?

As I build my pit, I'm going to be wanting everything connected in a simple way... or would these need to attach to the servo card from say Opencockpits:

These boards will run 6, 12, 18, or 24 servos at a pretty good price:

http://www.pololu.com/catalog/category/12

Cheers,

Colin

I will be placing orders this week to pick up x-keys matrix and polou servo boards to add support for Helios.

Yes.. very exciting news!

" I'm gonna have to be taking your car today. See I have some top secret clown business that supersedes any plans that you might have for this here vehicle."

I will be placing orders this week to pick up x-keys matrix and polou servo boards to add support for Helios.

Can we get support for phidget servo boards? Please??? The phidget boards do not so up as an interface.

I'm looking at the API for it today. I just won't have a board to test with, but it should be pretty simple.

I can send you my 8 servo phidget board with servos for you to test if you want.

• 2 months later...

PB, you'd have a VERY happy crowd of geeks if you could manufacture gauges for the pit, working and ready to go of course or even as a kit, for each gauge: Alt, IAS, VVI, Fuel, Hyd, all engine/APU gauges... I'd definitely buy a full set ASAP.

A-10C - FC3 - CA - L-39 - UH1 - P-51 - Hawk - BS2 - F-86 - Gazelle - F-5E - AV8B - F/A-18C

i5-4590 - GTX 1060 - Oculus CV1 - TM:Warthog

[sIGPIC]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic9979_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

Hi all. Glad I came across your forum. I am very interested in flight sim building, but am currently building a train simulator for a train museum. I was stuck at the gauges and I think now I have some great new ideas. Thanks for the ideas.I may too be interested in purchasing some of these gauges.

Thanks,

Mike

I have a resource that shows a schematic on how to build a dual shaft. again its for a train sim, but will probably work for flight sim. I'll have to ask his permission to post the pics though.

This gauge solution is just what I was looking for. Is there any new information on your progress and interfacing with the A10?

The gauges with the little inset dial are proving to be a bit of a challenge. You have to get the spacing of holes for the various shafts just right or everything jams up.

The two-gear ones are a little more forgiving.

Cheers,

Colin