Notices

Old 08-22-2011, 12:49 PM   #1
Alphamale

Reputation power: 0
Alphamale is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help with CH Fighterstick and Pro Throttle

I'd like to use the three modes on these. My question is, do I need to run these devices in Direct mode to do this or can I use mapped mode? I also have Saitek Flight Pedals. I have downloaded a couple different CH profiles that I use in mapped mode, but none of these take advantage of the three modes that each of these devices have. I see some have shifted functions, but that's not really the same as the three modes. Also, when I enter A-10C options menu under controls, I see not one CH Manager listing, but two. I thought the idea of using CMCC was to have the games see all CH devices as just one stick. When I'm in Direct mode, yes, I see the USB Fighterstick and USB Pro Throttle as separate columns as they should be. But in mapped mode, I thought I'd just see one column listing for both CH devices labelled CH Manager. But there are two columns saying this. Any help would be appreciated.

AM

Last edited by Alphamale; 08-22-2011 at 03:45 PM.
Alphamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 04:53 PM   #2
Bushmanni

Reputation power: 12
Bushmanni is just really niceBushmanni is just really niceBushmanni is just really niceBushmanni is just really niceBushmanni is just really niceBushmanni is just really niceBushmanni is just really niceBushmanni is just really niceBushmanni is just really nice

The mode button can be used only in mapped mode and combining the devices together is done also in mapped mode. Control Manager help files will explain how it's done.
Bushmanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:47 PM   #3
Crunch
Veteran

Reputation power: 114
Crunch has much to be proud ofCrunch has much to be proud ofCrunch has much to be proud ofCrunch has much to be proud ofCrunch has much to be proud ofCrunch has much to be proud ofCrunch has much to be proud ofCrunch has much to be proud ofCrunch has much to be proud ofCrunch has much to be proud ofCrunch has much to be proud ofCrunch has much to be proud ofCrunch has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Crunch

" I thought the idea of using CMCC was to have the games see all CH devices as just one stick."

Negative, There is nothing wrong with seeing multiple devices in mapped mode. In fact it is preferred as you can get more axes and buttons. The idea of having everything appear as one is for games/sims that don't support multiple devices. Most older games do not, and a some newer ones still stupidly support 1 or 2 devices.
Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:58 PM   #4
Alphamale

Then you're saying I should use a profile that uses Direct mode rather than Map mode to get the most out of these two devices for A-10C? I thought Map mode automatically unifies all devices as one stick. Control Manager Help files leave a lot to be desired without illustrations and samples.

Last edited by Alphamale; 08-22-2011 at 06:00 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:05 PM   #5
Crunch
Veteran

Crunch has much to be proud ofCrunch has much to be proud ofCrunch has much to be proud ofCrunch has much to be proud ofCrunch has much to be proud ofCrunch has much to be proud ofCrunch has much to be proud ofCrunch has much to be proud ofCrunch has much to be proud ofCrunch has much to be proud ofCrunch has much to be proud ofCrunch has much to be proud ofCrunch has much to be proud of

Again, no need to unify unless you have a game that supports only 1 device. An example would be something old like Freespace.

Direct Mode is just plug and play. Windows will see each of the CH devices with their proper names. Each device will have button 1, button 2 etc.

Mapped mode lets you use CH Manager to program the devices. For example, Button 1 on your stick can send a keyboard command (spacebar etc.) There is lot of other stuff you can do like macros and scripts.

If you haven't pop, by www.ch-hangar.com
Old 08-22-2011, 07:30 PM   #6
Alphamale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunch View Post
Again, no need to unify unless you have a game that supports only 1 device. An example would be something old like Freespace.

Direct Mode is just plug and play. Windows will see each of the CH devices with their proper names. Each device will have button 1, button 2 etc.

Mapped mode lets you use CH Manager to program the devices. For example, Button 1 on your stick can send a keyboard command (spacebar etc.) There is lot of other stuff you can do like macros and scripts.

If you haven't pop, by www.ch-hangar.com
Ok, I think I have it now. So if I wanted to edit another player's profile that they made available for download to include two more "layers" of commands via the mode buttons, I could do that seemlessly providing I enable the mode device in the programming section of the CH Control manager? Will that provide two more programming layers for both devices each or just the one that I designate for Mode? See both stick and throttle have the three mode capability. And when they tell you that only one stick needs to be specified for the "mode switching", it seems to imply that the sticks are some how united. Do you get my drift? And about the CH Forums? I have been there and have registered but have not been sent an account confirmation so that I can participate in the forums. What's up with that? It's been about three days since I registered. It shouldn't take more than a day to receive this confirmation (i.e. I can't ask questions until I get the account confirmation). Thx Crunch. Btw, one of your files is one that have toyed around with and seems to work well. Thx again,

AM
Old 08-22-2011, 07:46 PM   #7
Crunch
Veteran

No problem! For the CH forums, send me a PM in another day or 2 if u don't get setup and I'll PM a forum admin.

Yes, you are getting it now. I don't use modes much, but you select what device you want to be able to designate mode switching, stick or throttle, then that device will switch modes on BOTH the stick and throttle. The one controls the other, but not really unified as 1 device. This option allows you to keep a button free for programming on the device that is not switching modes.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:26 PM   #8
Alphamale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunch View Post
No problem! For the CH forums, send me a PM in another day or 2 if u don't get setup and I'll PM a forum admin.

Yes, you are getting it now. I don't use modes much, but you select what device you want to be able to designate mode switching, stick or throttle, then that device will switch modes on BOTH the stick and throttle. The one controls the other, but not really unified as 1 device. This option allows you to keep a button free for programming on the device that is not switching modes.
Ok, now another question. My take is that there are two ways to use a button. Either as a button location (say Joystick button #10) which is located on device #1 and this can be used to assign a function that is equivalant to a keyboard key that is defined as default by the A-10C game itself, or the button can be mapped directly through CH Control Manager as a keyboard press and release function. Is that correct? If I use the first method, then each key is like an empty station that is filled with a function by the game directly according to the game's default key assignments for a particular game function. If I use the second method of programming a key, then the stick button is not empty as it enters the game and has a key press/release that corresponds to a function of the game defined by the default keyboard assignments on the far left of the device listing menu. IOW, when I prgram using the first method, Imust press the key on the stick that I want to assign a function that is in the same row as the default keyboard list. With the second method, I don't have to do anything because the stick's keys already have that information before it enters the game. Is that correct? If so, which is more versitile?

Last edited by Alphamale; 08-22-2011 at 08:29 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:43 PM   #9
Crunch
Veteran

You're on the right track.

Let's take button 1, the trigger button of the Fighterstick.

You can use Direct mode.
The button will be Directx button 1 for the Fighterstick. In A-10C the default for Button1 is Fire cannon. You could in A-10C assign this button to any other function.

You can use Mapped Mode.
By default The button will be Directx button 1 for the Fighterstick exactly like above. In CH Manager you now also have the option of making this button any other Directx button. For ex. Dirextx button 2 which would fire weapons in A-10C. You can also deselect Directx for a button. You can then map any keycommand you want to the button. For example Spacebar. This would also fire the cannon.

Here is the way I setup. I use mapped mode in CH Manager and program all buttons to send keycommands. I use all the default keycommands from the sim. This way if I ever have to reinstall a sim, as long as I have my CH Profile to load, everything is all set in terms of buttons. The axes might have to be setup again, but I know when I press the trigger it will send the spacebar command and fire the cannon.
Hope this helps
Old 08-22-2011, 09:17 PM   #10
Alphamale

It does tremendously. Thanks. So how do I use the three mode set up? my guess, is that I'd have to program button #1 on the joystick three times while in mapped mode. Right? If so, how do I do that? Do I need to have the green light on for function #1, yellow light for function #2 and red light for function #3?