Forum Maintenance between 04:00 - 06:00 UTC ×
Forum Maintenance between 04:00 - 06:00 UTC

WIP - Improved CBU-97/105

Wags

Well I didn't mean under it - I mean let's say you're using the CBU-97 on a single vehicle. Since the skeets are ejected 90 degrees in four directions from the carrier, that means 3/4 skeets are NOT going to find anything to hit.

This isn't to say that the single vehicle would be safe, quite the contrary, but it wouldn't be 40 skeets trying to find one vehicle, it would be at most 10. Due to the positioning, a convoy of multiple vehicles on a road would be a bit 'safer' than a cluster of vehicles in a defensive formation would be.

The promo video for the CBU-97 showed the search areas for the skeets when they leave the carrier and for a single carrier there were some pretty big gaps in the coverage. It's made up for by the fact that there's 9 other carriers launching skeets randomly around the place, but I wouldn't expect a CBU-97 to hit every vehicle arranged in a line. If they were positioned randomly (like the defensive formation the tank convoys go into after you attack them), hell yes it would tear them apart.

Edited by Frostiken

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, yes, you're correct.

I'd say this is a matter of choosing the correct weapons here. Against a single vehicle you'd obviously (I would think) employ a Maverick.

Against a column of 3 or more vehicles you would employ a CBU-97. Yes, a bunch of skeets get wasted, but it's probably going to be much more effective than ripping all four of your mk-82's.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Yep :) Plus, if we ever get the supply system / dynamic campaign, these babies are going to be rare and extremely cost-prohibitive.

Though honestly against three vehicles, say they're pretty close together and they *aren't* MBTs (though even if they were...) your best weapon would probably be a GBU-10. Much more cost-effective. In real-life at least. Such a weapon would most likely flip a convoy of BMPs completely off the road and cause severe damage to just about everything. The entire reason we carried GBU-31s into Libya was to knock out groups of vehicles. Ah, but that should be the goal of the next DCS module - integrate ground vehicle physics and give us much better simulation of damage on vehicles, to say nothing of better modeling of explosions, including the shockwave bounce thus giving purpose to air-burst JDAMs :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

yet

I actually mentioned the GBU-10 over the 31 mostly because against something like BMPs, impact with the ground might give you the best results. I have absolutely no idea what an air burst would do to an APC but I imagine flipping the whole damn thing over by leaving a crater the size of a block of flats works all the same.

To say nothing of the unfortunates caught within...

Edited by Frostiken

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

WOW the pics are really amazing..

Here is a video which shows exactly how the CBU-97 and 105 are working

:smartass:

2 Gaming Pc´s

Desktop: win7 64bit i5 2100@3,6GHz 8gb kingston gainward gtx 460 glh

Laptop: Asus G21Gserie win7 64bit T9600 6gb gtx260M

maximum settings on both systems

Now WITH Joystic:joystick: i dont play KEYBOARD anymore :D

"Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now, you put water into a cup - it becomes the cup. Putting it into a tea-pot - it becomes the teapot. Look, water can flow but it can also crash. Be water, my friend."

Bruce Lee

When it's done™

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

No worries mate, I understand the desire fully. I felt the same way before I got recruited to the test team. :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

|
| Life of a Game Tester

It's a voyage of discovery, and a very nice way to learn a lot about how this type of thing works. :)

And besides, it's not like we're testing new versions of minesweeper. :P

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

It's a voyage of discovery, and a very nice way to learn a lot about how this type of thing works. :)

And besides, it's not like we're testing new versions of minesweeper. :P

Exactly...at times it can be a lot of work but I've enjoyed MP sessions with testers I wouldn't normally fly as well the nice "surprises" we get to see/test before each patch is released.

I do a lot of testing for FSX addons, currently testing an F-15E which allows the player to shoot down other aircraft and hit moving targets with GBU-12's...it's not a glorious process like many would suspect.

You spend most of your time looking for bugs, and there sure are a lot! I feel the non-testers are lucky, seeing that when they get the product, everything works per manual. In our case, we're constantly having to re-write things!

Regards, Diego

• 1 month later...