Caution panel test video

pitbldr

Just finished up my caution panel using Helios and a Phidgets LED board. Here's a video of me starting up the A-10 then towards the end randomly shutting off systems to activate the caution lights.

Sorry about the poor quality of the video.... crappy webcam. Couldn't get it where you can actually see the words on the panel, but if you've ever gone through the start sequence, you'll know what's happening. In the attached image you can see the board better and can tell that a few of the indicators are lit.

DSC02070.jpg

• Like 1

I was not familiar with a 'Phidget' until I saw your post. I did a little looking though and it looks like a very neat solution. I especially like the idea that with one of these LED64 and an 8 port servo interface you could build most of the instruments needed for a pit. I was wondering though, how easy is interfacing the software with Helios?

I guess you're grabbing the network stream and parsing it through a third party phidget app?

I don't suppose you've come across a how to or similar that would give me an idea of the process?

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

I was not familiar with a 'Phidget' until I saw your post. I did a little looking though and it looks like a very neat solution. I especially like the idea that with one of these LED64 and an 8 port servo interface you could build most of the instruments needed for a pit. I was wondering though, how easy is interfacing the software with Helios?

I guess you're grabbing the network stream and parsing it through a third party phidget app?

I don't suppose you've come across a how to or similar that would give me an idea of the process?

Helios has direct support for Phidgets... No external software required.

Thanks guys! :)

I really wish the video was better. I may have to find a better camera and reshoot it.

Shu77 - It is extremely easy with helios. If you don't have it, you're missing out! I have Helios and the phidgets connected to the same computer that's running A-10. At some point, I may test having it run from another computer, but right now it's running great.

I don't know of a how-to, but it really is easy. The Phidgets board comes with everything you need except the LED's. The included cables can be attached to the LED's (I soldered mine) and then the cable plugged right into the board.

Download helios and check it out. Then visit the SC Simulations site for more help if you need it.

Edited by pitbldr

Very neat and impressive work! I wish I had the skills/time/money/space/patience to do something half as good!

Thanks! HELIOS and Phidgets made this easy though. My part was very small. I just had to make a panel that looked similar to the real thing and it took me several tries. More luck and persistence than skill... believe me. :D

Impressive truly impressive

HaF 922, Asus rampage extreme 3 gene, I7 950 with Noctua D14, MSI gtx 460 hawk, G skill 1600 8gb, 1.5 giga samsung HD.

Track IR 5, Hall sensed Cougar, Hall sensed TM RCS TM Warthog(2283), TM MFD, Saitek pro combat rudder, Cougar MFD.

Want. Will you be making more and selling to two left handed people like me ?

Possibly, but it would be a couple months before I could as I have several other items I need to complete first. If and when I can, I'll be sure to post back to let everyone know. :)

Thanks! :D

I sure don't feel like I am!! I think most of you guys just did much better/more detailed planning than I did. I've already redone the framework of my consoles twice and know I'll be redoing the front dash at some point. I am debating also whether I want to raise the height of my seat a few inches and I'm sure I'll hit a few more snags along way. But it is nice to finally be at the point where I can start doing some "test flights"! :joystick:

How did you output the warning signals to the hardware? What kind of hardware specs? Can you list components used?

" I'm gonna have to be taking your car today. See I have some top secret clown business that supersedes any plans that you might have for this here vehicle."

Thanks guys!

The panel is made from clear, white and green acrylic. In all it's 5 layers. I laser cut all the pieces and then glued them together in stages and painted them. Next I just engraved the text onto the buttons. At somepoint, I'll take some photos of the process.

I am using HELIOS and Phidgets LED. HELIOS sends all the signals to the Phidgets board after you configure it, which is simple to do.

HELIOS site - http://www.scsimulations.com/

Phidgets LED - http://www.phidgets.com/products.php?category=15&product_id=1031

Thank you for the info.. I am also using Helios cap loz 1.33 profile. I would love to see your progress pics.. Best looking panel I've ever seen. You could make good money selling them.

I may have to pick your brain on how to get Helios to control the phidget board.

Edited by TulsA-10

" I'm gonna have to be taking your car today. See I have some top secret clown business that supersedes any plans that you might have for this here vehicle."

Yeah.... do a better job of painting it! :)

The panel itself is made from two 1/16th layers of acrylic. The bottom layer is on piece and the top layer had the shapes for the indicators cut out of it - a guide to help align them. I glued these two together and then glued the "indicators" in place and then painted it all at once. What'll I'll do in the future it paint the two layers before gluing them together since it was very hard to fill in those places in between without getting too much paint on the indicators. I noticed it when I was painting, but couldn't do much at that point.

I also used clear acrylic as it was all I had. I have some black 1/16th on order and think that may work even better. I'd use that only for the top layer. The bottom would still need to be either white or clear.

that's very interesting!!!! but i'm a visual guy... i don't quite get how it was put together without pictures. too late now I guess...

I got the WA to build a home pit, so right now i'm gathering ideas from here and there and wil start building somewhere in the fall.

You've given lot's so far! ;o)

Pit

MOBO ASUS P5QL-Pro, Intel Q9550 2.8Ghz @ 3.5 GHZ, 8GB DDR2 Crucial, XFX HD6950, TM Warthog, TIR4 /w Pro-Clip, 24 In Samsung Syncmaster LED, 2 X Cheapo 8in LCD's for MFD's and TM MFCD's attached to it, Windows 7 Ultimate x64.