Notices

Old 06-20-2011, 08:14 PM   #1
samtheeagle

Reputation power: 8
samtheeagle is on a distinguished roadsamtheeagle is on a distinguished road
Cool FreeTrack and A-10C (64bt) HeadTracker Implementation

Ok, so I finally cracked how to implement a custom HeadTracker.dll for the A-10C game It works on my machine, and that's about as much as can promise at the moment, I've literally just got it to work! But if anyone else wants to give it a try I'd be very interested to hear if it works for you.

If this works for you it will allow you to use the 32bit FreeTrack application with the 64bit version of DCS A-10C. Instructions are included in the zip file... There's a fairly simple one off setup, and then it should just work behind the scenes for you.

Please feel free to post questions here.

<DEPRECATED> HeadTracker Binaries.zip </DEPRECATED> SEE BELOW FOR AN UPDATED VERSION

Last edited by samtheeagle; 06-21-2011 at 05:52 PM.
samtheeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:42 AM   #2
Boulund

Reputation power: 15
Boulund is just really niceBoulund is just really niceBoulund is just really niceBoulund is just really niceBoulund is just really niceBoulund is just really niceBoulund is just really niceBoulund is just really niceBoulund is just really nice

Wonderful!

It works perfectly, I had no issues at all installing or using it.
I saw no reason to change from your default values in the .prefs-file either, everything works very well and was very simple to use.

Thank you!
Old 06-21-2011, 07:33 AM   #3
samtheeagle

Cool, I guessed that the default prefs values would be ok, a standard webcam at a "regular" sitting distance from the camera would yield the same kind of FOV. Still, I though it was important that people could tweak things to suit their setup.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:00 AM   #4
Boulund

Boulund is just really niceBoulund is just really niceBoulund is just really niceBoulund is just really niceBoulund is just really niceBoulund is just really niceBoulund is just really niceBoulund is just really niceBoulund is just really nice

A good idea indeed, many people with freetrack don't use a webcam (but use wii remote or eyetoy instead) so it was a wise decision.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:10 AM   #5
tjhowse

Reputation power: 6
tjhowse is on a distinguished road

Works perfectly for me. Well done!
tjhowse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:27 AM   #6
samtheeagle

Excellent news

Having exchanged some messages with V4Friend (of FreeTrackNoIr fame) it seems that my FreeTrack wrapper application is a bit superfluous, as FreeTrack already creates a shared memory area and a controlling mutex. That's what my wrapper does, via the FreeTrackClient.dll, but that's not really needed.

Of course my way seems to be working for people, but I've reinvented the wheel somewhat I could defo simplify things now knowing what I do now.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:21 PM   #7
Boulund

Quote:
Originally Posted by samtheeagle View Post
Of course my way seems to be working for people, but I've reinvented the wheel somewhat I could defo simplify things now knowing what I do now.

Sounds great, is this something you're planning to do?
Old 06-21-2011, 12:58 PM   #8
samtheeagle

Yes, definitely I've already had a quick tweak of the code, so once I get home from work I'll be able to do some testing to see if I've got it to connect into the native FreeTrack shared memory area...

Oh yeah, and once I've got that sorted and tested I'll post the code up here too.

Last edited by samtheeagle; 06-21-2011 at 05:58 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:58 PM   #9
samtheeagle

Ok, so I've learned a thing or two today and from that I have made some updates to my HeadTracking system The FreeTrack wrapper application I developed was not really required, as FreeTrack already provided the same functionality already, I was just unaware of that fact

But that makes things even easier, as there's now only the HeadTracker.dll to worry about. If you used the earlier version you should remove the wrapper, and undo the change you made to your FreeTrack shortcut. There's no need for that with this new version.

Just place the HeadTracker.dll and HeadTracker.prefs into the bin/headtracker/ folder and you should be set.

<DEPRECATED> HeadTracker Binaries.zip </DEPRECATED>

And this time I'm including the source code, for those who are interested.

<DEPRECATED> HeadTracker Sources.zip </DEPRECATED>

Last edited by samtheeagle; 06-26-2011 at 10:56 AM.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:20 PM   #10
Boulund

Even better! This couldn't be much easier.

Thanks again!