Solved - How to remove the Sun's Glare in DCS A-10C

I found out how to remove the Sun's glare and keep the lovely HDR effects.

1. Navigate to the following folder in your DCS A-10C install folder - \DCS A-10C\Bazar\Effects\PostMotionEffect\options

2. Make a backup of the file hdr.lua

3. Open the original hdr.lua with notepad++

4. Find the following text and replace 3.0 with 0.0 to remove the effect

-- sun glow radius
hdr['glow_radius'] = 3.0

5. Start DCS A-10C and enjoy late afternoon flights without the glare in your eyes...

Happy hunting

Edited by toby23

Ryzen 5800X, 32GB RAM, RTX 3060

I don't have the game, but I'd like to see it also.

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

You are aware that flying a real aircraft you are affected by glare. A helmet sunshield reduces it but never eliminated it, in my (limited) experience.

Maybe I'm too 'hardcore', but removing sun glare removes some of the challenge. "Watch for Huns in the sun" (an old RAF saying) is meaningless if you start making detection unrealistically good.

To each their own/horses for courses/strokes for folks/<insert cliche here> - you are free to change the game as you please. Just be aware that you are reducing your realism. Then there's no need for good airmanship by choosing to approach your target from a different vector that doesn't put the sun dead ahead, so a little something is lost without glare.

Edited by Moa

comparing

hdr['glow_radius'] = 3.0 (bottom)

hdr['glow_radius'] = 0.5 (top)

(couldnt bring myself to make it 0 :cry: )

compareHDR_3_0.5.thumb.jpg.129139e41e64dbd56f730a320f2379f3.jpg

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

The bottom looks way better, I think the top looks like doo doo to me.

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

Comparison Screenshot below...

It just removes the milky effect that covers the screen.

It doesn't remove the bloom effect of the sun (lightening and darkening of screen)

You are still affected by the sun but the cockpit remains clear.

Each to his own.

Edited by toby23

In real life, the glare is reduced by visors/ glasses/ glare shield etc so I guess that my edit is unrealistic and the original is closer to real life. I just don't like flying with this effect.

I will play around and see if I can get it closer to real life through a helmet.

If anyone can provide an in cockpit shot into the sun, that would really help?

See attachment.

Edited by toby23