LGB GBU-10/12 employment - Step by Step

Heli Shed

*****LESSON 6 - LASER GUIDED BOMBS - GBU10 & GBU12*****

Hi all,

There seems to be a fair amount of confusion on how to employ LGB's in the Sim. Matt Wagner produced an excellent video going through step by step what is required. This post is an 'extract' from the 74th vfs 'The Flying Tigers' Engagement School, Lesson 6. It accompany's Matts video and also calls reference to some further reading and Geskes own video for those of you who would like more.

We hope it is of some help.

On behalf of all the 74th vfs 'The Flying Tigers'

'T'

paveway.jpg

GENERAL INFO:

Laser Guided Bombs or LGB's are an excellent and accurate system of engaging ground Targets. The GBU 12 (a Mk 82 500lb bomb with laser seeker attachment) and the GBU 10 (a Mk 84 2000lb bomb with laser seeker attachment) once dropped from the pylon, home in on a laser that is fired automatically or manually by the pilot, from the Lightning II 'Sniper' Targetting Pod. It is important that the pilot maintain a steady flight until the Target is destroyed to ensure that the Laser is not masked by the airframe of the A-10C. This, is it's only limitation. Accuracy is it's greatest strength. In comparison to any of the GPS guided or inertially guided Bomb units, it is possible to place a GBU 10 or 12 through a window, making the GBU 12 a perfect 'Tank Plinker' in a top attack, and the A-10C can carry 14 of them! The GBU 10 being 4 times bigger, ideal for attacking structures. The method of delivery is via CCRP in the 5 mill or 3/9 method and it is important that the weapons release button is held down approximately 10 seconds before the solution cue passes through the reticule, to avoid a 'Hung Station' When this happens, the bomb is released automatically and depending on Laser setup, will home in immediatly or after a pre-set time.

A10CCRPHUDMode.png

LESSON INFO:

Auto Lase:

* Master Arm to On

* TGP on and aquire Tgt using the same method as explained in Lesson 3

* Laser Arm to on

* Make the Tgt the SPI

* Select the DSMS, then profile and select the GBU

* Activate the profile, View it, change to CCRP and then change the 'auto lase' to on

* Set the desired Laser time (15-17 seconds at 15,000 ft) to activate before impact

* Save the settings

* Master mode should be on CCRP. Hud should be in CCRP Mode

* If neccessary, 'EXTEND' away to gain altitude and distance

* Align to Target at desired altitude - 15000 ft is a good height, 25000 to avoid TOR's

* Keep the aircraft steady and use the ASL (Azimuth Steering Line) to guide your bank angle to level flight

* Maintain a level flight toward the Tgt

* Await the 'solution cue' to reach 10 seconds then press and hold the weapons release button

* Weapons release button depressed, throught 'solution cue drop' through reticule

* Note the Bomb release by absence on DSMS or 'clunk' sound of release

* Maintain level and steady flight

* Watch the TGP and note the flashing 'L', meaning the Laser is being fired when the Bomb is short of the target in 'time', as specified for the Laser to fire

* Once the Tgt is destroyed, re-quire a new Tgt and repeat

Manual Lase:

* Master Arm to On

* TGP on and aquire Tgt using the same method as explained in Lesson 3

* Laser Arm to On

* Make the Tgt the SPI

* Select the DSMS, then profile and select the GBU

* Activate the profile, View it, change to CCRP and ensure 'auto lase' is off

* Set the desired Laser time (15-17 seconds at 15,000 ft)

* Save the settings

* Master mode should be on CCRP. Hud should be in CCRP Mode

* On the TGP MFCD select the 'Cntrl' Page and change to 'Latch on'

* If neccessary, 'EXTEND' away to gain altitude and distance

* Align to Target at desired altitude - 15000 ft is a good height, 25000 to avoid TOR's

* Keep the aircraft steady and use the ASL (Azimuth Steering Line) to guide your bank angle to level flight

* Maintain a level flight toward the Tgt

* Await the 'solution cue' to reach 10 seconds then press and hold the weapons release button

* Weapons release button depressed, throught 'solution cue drop' through reticule

* Note the Bomb release by absence on DSMS or 'clunk' sound of release

* Maintain level and steady flight

* Note the Time to Impact timer on the TGP MFCD, at 15 seconds to impact (or whatever time you have set) activate the Laser by pressing NWS -INSERT Key

* Watch the TGP and note the flashing 'L', meaning the Laser is being fired

* Once the Tgt is destroyed, re-quire a new Tgt and repeat

Now watch the following video

Laser Guided Bombs - GBU12

FURTHER LEARNING:

Visit & study the following resource pages:

* DCS Wiki CCRP

* Paveway II site

* LGB Ordanance Site

* MemphisBelles Step by Step http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=75781

This excellent video by 'Geskes' may also be of assistance:

Edited by Tyger
  • Like 1

Come pay us a visit on YouTube - search for HELI SHED

Main Banner.PNG

I am in Game mode and no matter what I do I cannot bring up the steering azimuth line to drop bombs (which are preselected for CCRP mode). Naturally this means the bombs won't drop, they simply stay there, even though I am holding down the weapons release button.

I didn't know you could get a hung station with Paveways. Also how do you drop Paveways in 5 mil CCRP?

I am sure hung stations can occur for a numerous amount of reasons with all weapons, pure speculation tho.

As for the 5 mil, I believe you would need to changer your consent to release in the hud after the bit test to 5mil, otherwise it will use a default for that weapon. Don't qoute me on that tho and if I am wrong I am happy to hear the correct way. :)

• 4 years later...
Does anyone have available or know where I can obtain the first five, and any subsequent, lessons authored by Tyger?

I've never seen his offerings on Youtube, assuming you are referring to Youtube.

AccessiveHeadspace has some really good lessons on this among other subjects, if you want something to use until you find Tygers' offerings.

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.

• 9 months later...

You can ripple them or throw them in pairs. But all (lets say 6) at once in the exact same second ist not possible.

At least thats for the GBU10/12

GBU-31/38 you just can ripple one after the other.

Modules: Well... all of 'em

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VIII Hero | CPU: i7-6700K @ 4.6GHz | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengance LPX DDR4 | GPU: GTX TITAN X (Maxwell) | SSD1: 256GB NVMe SSD System | SSD2: 250GB Games | HDD 4TB WD Red

• 3 years later...

Definitely helpful and appreciated........ I've always been stumped when "Auto Lase Fail" msg comes up....... what'd I do what'd I do????

now, Kelevra9987 said:

"GBU-31/38 you just can ripple one after the other."

I've thought that multiple units of JDAMs could be delivered by one aircraft but my recollection is that the profile maker's choices of changes for 31's, 38's, CBU-105 and 103 are none..... can't set N/T or SGL/PRS/RIPs?

Half the challenge is learning what not to do :)