UTM only has 5 numbers

Havoc25

Every time I try to input UTM coordinates I get an error on the CDU. One thing I've noticed is all the post say that UTM come with 2 letters and 6 numbers. Every time its given me a 9 line it has been 2 letters and only 5 numbers. Is there something more that should be put in?

I usually have to use L/L coordinates that they send thru as MSG that get on MFCD. Thats fine, but I'd like to create a WP with UTM. Whats the deal?

• Like 1

Doesn't matter, still works. Hope it gets fixed soon... it's not often a problem but when it pops up it's just some extra asspain. Would also be nice if the JTAC would give his.... whatever you call 'em. The BIG grids. The ones the JTAC doesn't announce and if you put in his information but with the wrong grid you get a target 130 miles away...

Sorry, brain no think good.

Edited by Frostiken

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

One tip with grid numbers that helped me, put the tad cursor near JTAC or the attack waypoint and you'll get the appropriate grid reference. Less asspain, but still would be better with more JTAC detail.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Check this out

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1098811&postcount=6

Havoc you never explained how it is you only get 2 letters and 5 numbers a track would be handy or the mission it happened in

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

That's offset navigation, not UTM, afaik.

True, UTM stands for Universal Transversal Mercator Projection, which means that a certain position can be determined by pairs of numbers with the same amount on each side.

Example: 185/245 (on a Map scale of 1:50.000 that means a accuracy of 100 meters in a square of 100 by 100 meters). So 4 numbers on each side would mean a accuracy of 10 meters in a square of 10 by 10 meters.

the first both numbers representing the grid where every line in nothern-south and western-East directuion is numbered..

so where is the grid in DCS and how to locate the respective numbers to determine a certain position and further...how to get coordinates to feed the CDU?

I really am interested in this

I'm not the brightest star in the sky when it comes to this stuff, but there are many good threads if you search. One way to get coordinates is just to slew the cursor or the TGP and note the coordinates at the bottom of the screen (you can switch between LL and MGRS with an OSB). JTAC will of course also feed you the coordinates as part of the 9-line.

Just to get my head around it, I have reduced the process as follows (which may or may not be correct):

MGRS must be at least 6 digits. With 5 digit coordinates, you need to insert either a zero as the first digit or a zero as the fourth digit. You can try both and see which results in a waypoint in the vicinity, or you can slew to the relevant waypoint or approximate JTAC position and note where the zero is in those coordinates.

With Lat/Lon, you take the last two digits, divide by sixty, and round up so that the result is three digits only. The end result will be XX XX.XXX, which is what you enter into the CDU. If you are figuring out Lon and the coordinates are less than 100, you need to slap a zero on the front. I generally stay away from using Lat/Long.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

well, honestly I havent known until today thats generally possible to feed CDU with UTM Coordinates to save WP. This sounds cool and I want to figutre that out today.

I´ll give it a try about what you´ve mentioned (slewing and writing down the coordinates from the map).

Pages 457 to 460 are very useful in this process, and a lot of mission designers are using this method to locate targets now so you have to enter them into the CDU.

It's very simple to do and takes about 20 seconds for each waypoint when you get used to it.

Pages 457 to 460 are very useful in this process, and a lot of mission designers are using this method to locate targets now so you have to enter them into the CDU.

It's very simple to do and takes about 20 seconds for each waypoint when you get used to it.

And this thread adds some extra information:-

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=74097&page=2

:)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]i7 Haswell @ 4.6Ghz, Z97p, GTX1080, 32GB DDR3, x3SSD, Win7/64, professional. 32" BenQ, TIR 5, Saitek x55 HOTAS.

Search User Files for "herky" for my uploaded missions. My flight sim videos on You Tube. https://www.youtube.com/user/David Herky

Please take a look:

http://www.youtube.com/user/SpareTimePilot?feature=mhee#p/c/24181A658668FAC0

If you only get 5 numbers for the UTM coordinates you need to add a "0" to the 2nd coordinate.

NM554020

Hi leonsilver,

do you got the correct UTM zone?

37T or 38T ?

Take your time and watch the videos. Everything is explained.

Edit: OK, fixed