Important Change in A-10C Startup--Please read!

WarriorX

I think it would be a good idea to let the community know the changes in the ramp start procedure in regards to the HARS. This is of course listed in the 1.1.0.8 Readme, but some people are doing more flying than reading.

As you all know, 1.1.0.8 is introducing the HARS correctly being the default Navigation Mode when doing a ramp start. It was EGI mode previously.

With the HARS mode active, you will not get any FPM/VVI in the HUD, and you will not be able to arm the EAC.

If you switch from HARS mode to EGI mode after complete INS Alignment, then the FPM/VVI returns, and you can arm the EAC.

• Like 2

Also you can turn on EGI and CDU before engine start. Alignment will be much faster this way and the EGI will align while you wait for the engines to start.

I messed up earlier and said the CICU instead of CDU. Sorry.....

Edited by Zeke

Thanks for the heads up. Some how I think I see several post in the making. ;)

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

Just did a startup the old way, and it completely confuzzled me, that neither my PFM and VVI did worl correctly. Went down again after take off, crosswind landing, with no FPM, nice. Did all the BITs again, nothing.

Thanks for pointing this out!

• ED Team
I'm presuming the real a/c defaults to HARS mode too? I.e this wasn't just done for the hell of it.

Yes the real aircraft defaults to HARS. EGI mode has to be turned on manually.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

К чему стадам дары свободы?

Их должно резать или стричь.

Наследство их из рода в роды

Ярмо с гремушками да бич.

I'm still a bit confused due to others comments about startup.

Is it possible to start EGI alignment as soon as the APU/APU gen are powered on? Do you need to wait until the engines are running?

I've seen startup procedures that have you turning on the L/R AC gens on before engine start and after engine start. Then the EGI/CICU to start alignment.

What is the true proper order as well as the quickest way to get up and running(and aligned) without any problems?

Corsair Graphite 780T / ASUS Maximus VIII Hero / i7-6700K@4.5GHz / Corsair H110i / 32GB DDR4 PC-2666 / ASUS 1080 Strix / EVGA 850 Pro / Samsung 950 Pro M.2 SSD / Win10x64 / Samsung UN48JU7500 4k / Logitech G910/933 KB/Headphones / Razer Naga Epic Mouse / MFG Crosswinds / TM HOTAS Warthog / HTC Vive

Yes, you can turn on the CDU and EGI while on APU power.

I've seen several versions of personalized startup procedures floating around. Most of them are incorrect either due to user error, or because they accommodated some electrical system related bugs in the previous versions. Those problems have largely been fixed, however.

EDITED to add: The CICU should be turned on after engine start. The CICU is not required for EGI alignment.

Edited by BlueRidgeDx

"They've got us surrounded again - those poor bastards!" - Lt. Col. Creighton Abrams

Any chance of an updated manual? I'm just about to start learning the A-10c and I'll no doubt forget about this.

I updated my one, check my sig

I´ve tested it and it worked quite well. new things are taken into the manual

Edited by MemphisBelle

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

BlackSharkDen - Helicopter only

Specs:: ASrock Z790 Pro RS; Intel i5-13600K @5,1Ghz; 64GB DDR5 RAM; RTX 3080 @10GB; Corsair RMX Serie 750; 2x SSD 850 EVO 1x860 EVO 500GB 1x nvme M.2 970 EVO 1TB; 1x nvme M.2 980 Pro 2TB+ 3 TB HDD

Hardware: Oculus Rift S; Meta Quest 3; HOTAS Warthog; Logitech Rudder Pedals, K-51 Collective

I dream of users undergoing a mandatory changelog reading before being allowed to play a new version. :D

^That, and get a mandatory lesson in using A) their eyes and B) the famous "search" function :D

I'm on the last stage........Acceptance!

:)

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

reading changelog doesn't mean that I understand what it means!

Honestly my rampstart procedure is a list of buttons to press, even if some of them I don't know what they are for, the manual tells me the description, noone tells me when I will need to use it ! That's where the manual lacks and where the forum is a great help from the very newbies, to the most experienced users.

L'important n'est pas de tuer, mais de survivre.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

if you read this you are too curious

I'm on the last stage........Acceptance!

I always thought the last stage was dying of brain hemorrhage in a desperate attempt to save your spouse from taking the shrapnel of your head exploding.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

Ok, I have now modified my personal startup procedure which seems to work fine and gets me in the air much faster.

Basically, it's:

Batt on

Inverter on

fuel pumps on

APU on >100% then,

APU gen on

AC gen L/R on

Oxygen on

Bleed air on

Main Air Supply on

Temp Norm

CDU/EGI on(INS ground alignment begins)

SP switch>flight plan

Radios on

Lights on(pos>flash, formation/interior as needed)

Contact twr for engine startup(optional)

Left eng start

Right eng start

APU gen off

APU off

SAI uncage

CICU on

IFFCC to test

Initiate Bit test

SAS on and trim set

Exit Bit test and/or make custom adjustments, then

DTS load all

IFFCC to on

Right MFCD to CDU(I usually go to MAV first and set slew to 2.0)

Left MFCD to TAD(I go to STAT first and adjust slew to 7.0, then configure DSMS before switching to TAD)

TGP on

Laser arm

Gun/Pac arm

CSMP on>semi

INS to NAV(usually ready by this time)

NMSP to EGI

JTRS on

EAC/Radar Alt on

Anti-skid on

Nose gear lights to taxi

Flaps>10%

NWS on

Seat arm

Canopy close(if not done earlier, or wait until taxiing)

Request taxi

At threshold:

Nosewheel to Land

Pos lights to steady

Anti-Collision on

Pitot heat on

May not be 100% correct, but it works for me.

Edited by Baggy MacDouche

Corsair Graphite 780T / ASUS Maximus VIII Hero / i7-6700K@4.5GHz / Corsair H110i / 32GB DDR4 PC-2666 / ASUS 1080 Strix / EVGA 850 Pro / Samsung 950 Pro M.2 SSD / Win10x64 / Samsung UN48JU7500 4k / Logitech G910/933 KB/Headphones / Razer Naga Epic Mouse / MFG Crosswinds / TM HOTAS Warthog / HTC Vive

Baggy,

That's basically the same thing I do, saves a couple of minutes now. One other thing I do while waiting for the APU to spin up to 100% is turn on the radios and tune them in to the freq. I need. Saves a few more secs....