Editing DCS A-10C Skins Tutorial (Basic Version)

Ranger79

Hello everyone, a request was made to make a tutorial on creating or modifying skins in DCS-A10C. Ths video goes over the basics. More videos will be produced of more advanced techniques. I want to thank ED Tester Snoopy for making his tutorial which got be started editing skins.

Please leave any questions below or PM me. Thanks in advance. Go easy on me, first tutorial, and I was pretty tired.

PROGRAMS YOU WILL NEED:

Photo editing software: Adobe Photoshop

DXTBMP: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Graphic/Graphic-Editors/DXTBmp.shtml

Notepad++:http://notepad-plus-plus.org/

Re-Rendered Video, much more detailed!

Edited by Ranger79
  • Like 4

Nice thanks for taking the time to put this together.

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

+1 Ranger - Nice one :-)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus ROG Rampage Extreme VI; i9 7900X (all 10 cores at 4.5GHz); 32 Gb Corsair Dominator DDR4; EVGA 1080Ti Hybrid; 1Tb Samsung 960 Evo M2; 2Tb Samsung 850 Pro secondary.

Oculus Rift; TM Warthog; Saitek Combat Pros.

Yeah thx for the quick response:thumbup:

No problem Cibit. I hope this sperns on users trying to create their own creations. The more the better for the community.

Thanks for the tutorial made this one together with snoopys PDF. It´s more for personal use but I thought I should at least show it.

[ATTACH]50870[/ATTACH]

Nice one, thanks for the kind words.

Appreciate you taking the time for the video, i know its explained pretty clearly but ive still managed to mess it up i thought i followed the video pretty well but when i loaded up the game with the skin my plane was orange with white lines and error text. Any idea what i did wrong?

Appreciate you taking the time for the video, i know its explained pretty clearly but ive still managed to mess it up i thought i followed the video pretty well but when i loaded up the game with the skin my plane was orange with white lines and error text. Any idea what i did wrong?

Ensure your .dds files are put into your test textures folders. Also ensure the name of your .dds file is located in your .lua file.

Ensure your .dds files are put into your test textures folders. Also ensure the name of your .dds file is located in your .lua file.

I had an -a in the text which wasnt supposed to be there my bad, thanks again!

Very good guide Ranger! As an extra tip, GIMP (free software) has a DDS plugin to edit DDS files directly.

(HJ)

Nice, I was not aware of that!

I'm sure there is a plugin for PhotoShop also! Check google ;)

Yeah I checked, but for my Adobe Version it would not work, if you find one for CS3 let me know.

• Like 1

What is a freeware equivalent (or as close as one could expect) to Photoshop? I'd like to give this a go, but Photoshop is out of my league.

I see someone mentioned gimp. Is that my answer?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Intel i7-8700K @4.9Ghz | 32Gb memory DDR4 | Evga GTX 1080ti | Saitek Eclipse keyboard |

Logitech Mx518 | CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle/Pedales | TIr5 | Win10 x64

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Yes GIMP (GnuImageManipulationProgram) works very well. I did my skins with it. You will need to get to know it a bit first but I think it´s not that hard.

Thanks. I'll install that and get to learn'n, as we say in these parts. :book:

Intel i7-8700K @4.9Ghz | 32Gb memory DDR4 | Evga GTX 1080ti | Saitek Eclipse keyboard |

Logitech Mx518 | CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle/Pedales | TIr5 | Win10 x64

• 10 months later...

How can i make the skins so that they look into other folders for some skin files?

We have a number of players with callsigns on the nose, but when we have around 8-9 different skins, and they all use the same DDS files the file starts to get heavy.

Can i have a folder that contains the non-unique DDS files so all skins will look into that folder?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Vincere Est Totum

• 1 year later...

I have the same problem.I followed your steps and I created a TestTextures file because i couldn't find this file but the aircraft's skin was orange.Why I can't see the TestTextures file?What's wrong?

Intel i7 4770,Gigabyte GA -H87-HD3,Corsair Vengeance 16Gb 1600MHz,SSD Samsung 840 Pro 128GB-OCZ TR150 480GB,Nvidia MSI GTX 1080ti Gaming X,TrackIR 5,Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog

I will (try to*) upload a vid I done about editing/making skins in DCS..

* that is if youtoob let's me...

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

How can i make the skins so that they look into other folders for some skin files?

We have a number of players with callsigns on the nose, but when we have around 8-9 different skins, and they all use the same DDS files the file starts to get heavy.

Can i have a folder that contains the non-unique DDS files so all skins will look into that folder?

I've got an updated "how to" that I'll be releasing after 1.2.4. is released. It will solve your issue, we have the same thing in the 476th vFG. Each pilot has their own nose section but share all the rest. The new way will make it easier for future releases but that's all I can presently say (NDA).

• Like 1

Compress all the standard DDS files (file -a to -L) in to bazard/world/textures/A-10.zip file.

For each custom paint job you have to have an individual folder in bazar/liveries/A-10C

so:

Player 1 folder

Player 2 folder

etc...

In each folder all the custom paint jobs for each pilot has to be put in theyre folder.

So, in each liveries folder there should be:

Custom nose art .DDS file

Custom .lua file

In the .lua file the DDS file for the pilot (usually just file -a) has to be set to [FALSE].

False indicates that the DDS file should be loaded from the liveries location.

All the other DDS files should be set to [TRUE] (usually DDS -b to -L).

True indicates that the .DDS files should be loaded from the A-10.zip file.

Good luck.

Example from one of mine:

livery = {
{"A-10C_PAINT_1-a", 0 ,"A-10C_138greenTaproot_1-a",false};
{"A-10C_PAINT_1-b", 0 ,"a-10c_138green_F-b",true};
{"A-10C_PAINT_1-c", 0 ,"a-10c_138green_F-c",true};
{"A-10C_PAINT_1-d", 0 ,"a-10c_138green_F-d",true};
{"A-10C_PAINT_1-e", 0 ,"a-10c_138green_F-e",true};
{"A-10C_PAINT_1-f", 0 ,"a-10c_138green_F-f",true};
{"A-10C_PAINT_1-g", 0 ,"a-10c_138green_F-g",true};
{"A-10C_PAINT_1-h", 0 ,"a-10c_138green_F-h",true};
{"A-10C_PAINT_1-i", 0 ,"a-10c_138green_F-i",true};
{"A-10C_PAINT_1-j", 0 ,"a-10c_138green_F-j",true};
{"A-10C_PAINT_1-k", 0 ,"a-10c_138green_F-k",true};
{"A-10C_PAINT_1-L", 0 ,"a-10c_138green_F-l",true};
{"A-10_Number", 0 ,"TactNumbers-USAF-Light_black.tga",true};
{"A-10_Number_Noze_F", 0 ,"TactNumbers-USAF-Light_black.tga",true};
{"A-10_Number_Noze_T", 0 ,"TactNumbers-USAF-Light_black.tga",true};
{"A-10_Number_Wheel", 0 ,"TactNumbers-USAF-Light_black.tga",true};

}
countries = {"GER", "GRG", "NOR", "RUS", "UKR", "USA", "TUR", "UK", "NETH", "BEL", "DEN"}

Result:

winter.jpg