Image size limit for posting on the forums

Bucic

I needed some place to drop my recent posts on the subject (visitor messages don't allow BBcode etc.). IMO the information is not useless, so I hope mods won't mind the form.

Image size limit for posting on the forums:

First of all thank you for your attitude... of minding other users. Few others don't give a damn. I've been raising this issue during recent months when faced my connection degradation down to ~10 KB/s.

I hope you won't mind if I copy/paste some of my recent posts on the subject. You can click on the red quotation square to go directly to the source posts.

I'm probably one of those not very pleased with 2+ MB images but I havent given you any negative rep for that, IIRC. I snapped when someone embedded 15 to 20 MB of images in one post (~4 MB images). Although the forum rules don't specify the max size for an image but they do mention posting with consideration of users with low bandwidth. Huge over 4 MB images (few of them) can even bring a netbook to its knees due to high CPU load, so it's not a bandwidth issue exclusively. That said I'm pretty sure we don't need references to official rules to sort this out.

When one posts images he hosts from his own account on image sharing service such as photobucket posting clickable thumbnails is trivial (and you can get multiple images posted like that at once). The problem is with images posted from external sources like mvsgas usually does. Does anyone know of any method of posting thumbnails for such images?

The only solution I have found is

[url=http://URL_OF_YOUR_IMAGE.jpg][img=http://URL_OF_YOUR_THUMB.jpg][/url]

It works the same as clickable signatures like mine but this obviously requires a smaller version of the original picture to be available somewhere so you can get its URL. Any other ideas?

Some of us live in third world countries, internet-wise, you know... Have mercy. For such images even 300 KB is an overkill.

Radical Image Optimization Tool (RIOT)

Works as a standalone or as plugin for other image viewers/editors. Unseemly easy to use.riot_mare.jpg

The tool intent is to provide real-time preview of image and predicted file size during adjustments and output format selection. It also teaches people what image format is optimal for what kind of images and that sometimes 70% JPEG quality is more than enough.

I'm not going there again. Like I said - shots of such resolution in JPEG format should be ~4 times smaller unless you insist on exibiting your computers illiteracy.

One can always download few wallpapers of his resolution to see what are the typical file sizes.

But it's not about minimums. It's about avoiding overkills. Posting BMP's, PNG's or over 300 KB 1920x1200 is an overkill (the file size, not the resolution). One can always post a clickable thumbnail.

Re quoting images - indeed. In fact recommendations regarding quoting images on the forums are in the forum rules, including some vague file sizes recommendations. A bit of good will and no solid rules are needed...

Sorry I posted much more than what was directly related to your question.