DCS A-10C - How to increase districts visibility distance

Hey Kuky I had a look on your very_high.lua . Why did you lower some distances like townLightNearDistance, noisemax, noise1bottom, farFullRenderDistance and so on. Did you do that to gain some fps or lower value = better quality ? Could you explain that please ? Want to thank you for the tweaks though.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey scheffchen, I'm running it on a GTX580 also..my specs are:

i5 750@4.1ghz

8Gb DDR3 1600mhz

GTX580

2xCrucial C300 64gb Raid-0

I can run it fine with the Very_high.lua settings I've posted, these are my settings:

Also, I tweak graphics.cfg:

SYNC = true

MaxFPS = 50

I only get low framerate in multiplayer, in some occasions when missions have a lot of models around in sight...Singleplayer is 90% of the time at 50fps..

Hope it helps :thumbup:

Hey there again!

Armaholicbr, I´ve tried various settings and these are my results, so far that I´ve found out the last hour:

For my quick benchmarks regarding the graphic settings I used the instant mission (winter, west georgia), startet the mission with fps-counter on and looked over to the left (to the mountains), turned left after 5 seconds and kept flying to the mountains. In this very terrain there are numerous trees that show the impact of the tree slider nicely (see below).

System specs: i7930@4ghz, gtx 580, 12gb ram, intel ssd 320 series, win7 64bit, 1920x1080@120hz

Here are the results: :smartass:

- Both of the .lua (yours and kuky´s) did not make any noticable difference in fps

- With the above settings playing an instant mission (winter west georgia) gives an average of 40 - 60 fps, BUT: playing in the campaign (second campaign, first mision) fps go down to mid twenty during fight (cas, sead, cap action, tgp and mav seeker activated and locked on target).

- no big difference between 2xaa vs. 8xQ, low vs. medium water, no civ traffic vs. medium, hdr off vs. on, tssaa off vs. on.

- However: HUGE difference between tree distance 7000 vs. tree distance 15000 :cry:

- huge FPS drop, when zooming the cockpit view in in direction of the horizont (obviously because a lot of extra 3d-models have to be rendered). Solution: I dont zoom any more ;)

conclusion:

I absolutely love and hate the new config files, because the truth is simple and old: eye candy vs. fps. :(

Now my favourite settings are the "very_high distance" preferences combined with maximum tree distance of 7000.

My advice for all other dcs-a10 players is to try out the very_high distance mod, because the change of appearance of the landscape is really really really incredible! For the first time you can spot villages and small cities from far away, and the 3D-environment adapts to the f10-map in point of details (you know, on the map where every small city has a name and you always wondered why you didn´t recognize itwhile obviously having flown over it).

Thats all for now.

Good night =)

Boris

PS: Can anyone try out the very high distance and tree settings with a single and dual gpu rig? Pleeeeaaase? :music_whistling:

Edited by scheffchen
system specs added

9900k, 2080TI, 64GB, ssd, valve index, Thrustmaster on virpil, virpil cm2 throttle, tpr pedals, mfd.

This is really very nice. I'm also wondering myself why I had not bumped into this thread before.

I've just tested it and I can confirm that the tree setting does eat a nice amount of fps.

I haven't tried it in the campaign, but in the single missions it eats a pretty considerable chunk. As a result, I left trees at 7km, too. :thumbup:

I am running and i5 2500k @ 4.6GHZ, GTX 580 and 8GB RAM.

I also have another question... hope Kuky sees this.

Is it possible to get these same results with Black Shark? I mean, it would be great to get rid of the transparent buildings. Now when you are looking through the TGP at a target 15nm away from you it's nice and solid, the way it should be.

Would it be possible to get the same result with the Shark?

Hope you get this Kuky. And +1 rep for your great work. :smartass:

EDIT: I can't give you any more rep, Kuky. :(

Edited by dok_rp

@ Migo ... reason I lowered some values (mostly near distance) is because it gives better transition from close to far... I increase the far distance and discrease the near distance, this makes most difference with cities... if the near is far out all the building will be rendered very sharp and will I presume eat more FPS... also the image is distorted in real life by fog and atmospheric conditions so my goal was to make it that you can see from far out there is some city there, but you should not be able to see it in great detail and this kinda achieves it.

@ dok rp ... I cound try it out for BS also but eventually ED will release compatibility patch for it and it'll make both A-10C and Ka-50 the same so both these can be changed the same way... I don't have my PC running for a few days now though as I bought a new case, and I am in process (slowly) of changin my water cooling... still waiting for some bits to finalise it so it will take few more days.

Edited by Kuky

No longer active in DCS...

because it gives better transition from close to far
Okay thanks for the answer. One more question: I saw you changed the noise values ? Which effect does this create ? Do you use it with Mustangs new Noise texture ?

Thanks a lot Kuky... I'll wait for the compatibility patch.

I was comparing both config files from BS and A10 and they are pretty different. There are some lines which BS doesn't use/support.

I guess, after both games become compatible and share the same graphics engine, we'll be able to use these same graphics settings.

Thanks again for your effort.

Best regards!!! :pilotfly:

At that time I did not use Mustang's noise texture so it's for default one
Alright. For Mustangs noise texture one has to set noise2persquare to 75. But you also changed noise1top and noise1bottom values. Do you recommend those settings for Mustangs texture, also or are these settings only for the default one ?

greetz, Migo

Alright. For Mustangs noise texture one has to set noise2persquare to 75. But you also changed noise1top and noise1bottom values. Do you recommend those settings for Mustangs texture, also or are these settings only for the default one ?

greetz, Migo

they will work for both

Hello Kuky,

I've just upgraded to 1.1.0.9 and the mod seem to have stopped working.

I'm getting a bunch of "texture missing" messages where I should have a text box and the mission editor no longer opens.

Is there a particular line we have to edit in order to get to work with the latest patch?

Gosh, I just hope ED didn't do anything to prevent it from being used. :huh:

Thanks again for your constant attention. :smartass:

You can still increase visibility distance by just editing the lines in the "Low\Medium/High.lua". It's just that you won't have another "Very High" option. But I see no reason to switch between them all the time, so just edit the lua file. More easy way is to backup your High.lua, download Kukys files and only use his Very_High.lua renamed to High.lua

It's just that missing "Vey_High" option...

Edited by Migo

I tried manually editing the files to add the new "Very_High" option.

I fixed all the wrong lines, but the option no longer appears in the option menu. :huh:

I guess they've changed something that blocked it. :huh:

Did you edit also the OptionsData.lua ?

path: root\MissionEditor\Data\Scripts

Starting line 329 -( I still haven't installed , sill downloading 1.1.0.9)

{ id = "Low", dispName = _("LOW")},

{ id = "Medium", dispName = _("MEDIUM")},

{ id = "High", dispName = _("HIGH")},

{ id = "Very_High", dispName = _("VERY HIGH")},

{ id = "Your_own_name", dispName = _("your own name")},

"your own name" is just a place-holder for the edited file you have stored in root\Config\Terrain\Your_own_name.lua
Edited by PeterP

I didn't understand the "place holder" line. Do I have to add this line regardless of it not being included before?

I also tried copying the contents of the "Very_High.lua" file into the "High.lua". However, to my surprise, some graphic abnormalities have appeared. Now, I get a dark green area on the map wherever forests should be on. That didn't occur before.

I guess the patch changed a few more things that ended up "breaking" this mod. :cry:

I don't have the 1.1.0.9 installed yet, in fact my PC is still not running as I am waiting for parts to arive.

Take this advice though... don't use the whole file and copy/paste into new installation, instead look for the same file in new installation and edit that file... look for lines of code that are changed and change them only.

Most likely what ED have done is add/remove some lines of code and if you use previous version file it will have lines missing that are causing this issue.

So sorry but untill I have my PC running again I can't get 1.1.0.9 installed and look at this

Do what Kuky and I said.

This still works as before but you have to manually edit the new files.

There is new code in the new files that is required by the sim.

Backup before you start editing!

• Like 1

Ryzen 5800X, 32GB RAM, RTX 3060

Hello guys,

Thanks for all the input. I tried and modified the files without simply overwriting them, and even though I couldn't get the "Very High" option to appear under the "Visibility Distance" setting, I was able to get it to work, I presume.

The only downfall I noticed is a decrease in fps, when compared with the 1.0.8 version, but I have to test it a little further.

Anyways, thanks for all the headsup. :pilotfly:

As stated in some earlier replies, the old files previouly posted will not work with the 1.1.0.9 patch.

I created a rar which matches the A10C folder hierarchy for those having trouble editing their own. I also added the originals in case you want to go back.

These give the option of "Very High" in Visib Range selection

VeryHigh.rar

Intel i7-3770K,Windows 10 64,Noctua NH-U12S ,ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ,G.Skill 32GB DDR3 2400,EVGA GTX 1080,ADATA XPG900x2 RAID 0, CM HAF XB Case,Thrustmaster Warthog,Combat Rudder Pedals,Logitech G930 with wireless TrackIR 5, 39" Insignia LED 120Hz Monitor, Oculus Rift