DCS A-10C - How to increase districts visibility distance

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many Thanks Kuky!

You saved me a lot of time to nail my problem down.

Was also hours in the High.lua file editing around (but manly in the old graphics.cfg files...) after patching and hadn't the desired outcome -

but your edit seems to be the sweet-spot for me - I'm (right now) manly using six monitor at 3840x2048 (three of them at a TH2GoDigital and Three driven with SoftTH) : Doing Testing and debugging for this http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=57465 (all WIP but the Outcome should be a 3D stereoscopic view in the projection and three Touch screens below.)

Pre-patch I had a maximal view distance to buildings of 4 miles - at visibility set to high at a convenience head position (without having the head in the HUD all time). And this is also not very much...

But after the ...0.7 Patch it was down to 2.5 miles.. see yourself:

I was preparing a video ( I will ad a link once it is uploaded -now at 35%) since patch release to make my view-distance problem clear to the Developers because the view distance limitation changes with the aspect-ratio you use. And it gets rally worse when you use a triple-head... or even more. .. But than (right after starting uploading to you-tube) I found your post. Just in Time!:)

So thanks again for the quick help!

I Will fiddle around with the values at the weekend to see what everyone does and report back. This will hopefully be helpful for people that use more than one screen . (and do something similar like in this LUA edit:http://forums.eagle.ru/attachment.php?attachmentid=50016&stc=1&d=1302301884 )

Serious: Do ED have a Multi-Monitor test system?! ;) -because when simulation is set to 1280x1024 everything looks fine without glitches.

edit:

520705161_Notepaddescription.thumb.jpg.31443cd8ff2d2512907ad106b1fb6235.jpg

Edited by PeterP

Regarding world detail, I was playing a MP mission last night which I'd made with 1015 and hadn't been able to fly with 1016, and I really noticed the lack of terrain detail especially towns. Looking out the canopy it seems very difficult to navigate visually or orientate to ground reference points. I'm hoping I can tweak a graphics LUA to bring in buildings sooner because above a few thousand feet the world looks a bit empty.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Great minds think alike; idiots seldom differ.":pilotfly:

i5 3750K@4.3Ghz, MSI Z77A GD55, 8GB DDR3, Palit GTX 670, 24" Benq@1920*1080, X52 Pro, Win 7 64bit.

• 1 month later...
Thanks Kuky. This and the grass tweak makes this game look so much better!

Yes, and both threads should be on top for everyone to see.

A suggestion to ED, why not just put these ingame as an option like "ultra high" distance. The performance hit really isnt that bad. Worth a try, definately going to keep these tweaks (at kukys #10 post) for now.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My Sim/Game CV: Falcon 1,3,4. Gunship. A10 TankKiller. Fighter Bomber. Strike eagle 2&3. F19 Stealth Fighter. F117. Wings. F29 Retaliator. Jetfighter II. F16 Fighting Falcon. Strike Commander. F22 Raptor. F16MRF. ATF. EF2000. Longbow 1&2. TankKiller2 Silent Thunder. Hind. Apache Havoc. EECH. EAW. F22 ADF. TAW. Janes WW2,USAF,IAF,F15,F18. F18 Korea. F18 Super Hornet. B17 II. CFS 2. Flanker 2&2.5. BOB. Mig Alley. IL2. LOMAC. IL2FB. FC2. DCS:BS. DCS:A10C.

Found a way to do this also :thumbup:

Beautiful!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My Sim/Game CV: Falcon 1,3,4. Gunship. A10 TankKiller. Fighter Bomber. Strike eagle 2&3. F19 Stealth Fighter. F117. Wings. F29 Retaliator. Jetfighter II. F16 Fighting Falcon. Strike Commander. F22 Raptor. F16MRF. ATF. EF2000. Longbow 1&2. TankKiller2 Silent Thunder. Hind. Apache Havoc. EECH. EAW. F22 ADF. TAW. Janes WW2,USAF,IAF,F15,F18. F18 Korea. F18 Super Hornet. B17 II. CFS 2. Flanker 2&2.5. BOB. Mig Alley. IL2. LOMAC. IL2FB. FC2. DCS:BS. DCS:A10C.

• 2 weeks later...

I tweaked the files bit more and I am very happy with my current settings.

With this mod you will get new option in graphics settings for VERY HIGH visibility distance and this won't touch your existing LOW, MEDIUM & HIGH visibility distance settings, and you can see very nicely faded out cities/populated area till about 10nm, it looks pretty good... I recommend you try it.

WinRAR archive should be extracted into main DCS A-10C folder and contains following files:

...Config/Graphics.cfg

...Config/Terrain/Very_High.lua

...MissionEditor/Data/Scripts/OptionsData.lua

If your machine can't run it right now it's still got to have this extra option for later. For me (i7 950@4GHz and HD5870) I can run on average 20-30fps, only time I get low 10's is with lot of aircraft with high poly like F-15E etc near by... this just kills my video card. If I'm flying on my own even with TGP and Maverick on I get 15+fps flying low and 20 or more if I'm higher... and this is worst case scenario.

PS: For the dense grass I have reduced distance to 200m... it's more bearable on FPS, until I get new monster video card smile.gif

No longer active in DCS...

I have increased the Level of Detail of ground textures around my aircraft too.

In the --Old Noise section, I raised noise1back to 60000 and all distant textures are clear, no noticeable frame hit and no weird graphical errors.

Thanks for your very high mod Kuky, much appreciated. Sim looks lovely now.

Edited by toby23

Ryzen 5800X, 32GB RAM, RTX 3060

How did I miss this thread:doh:

Great work, this will be very useful for me. Not too please with how default DCS:A10 is looking since 1.07 myself.

Specs: GA-Z87X-UD3H, i7-4770k, 16GB, RTX2060, SB AE-5, 750watt Corsair PSU, X52, Track IR4, Win10x64.

Sim Settings: Textures: ? | Scenes: ? |Water: ? | Visibility Range: ? | Heat Blur: ? | Shadows: ? | Res: 1680x1050 | Aspect: 16:10 | Monitors: 1 Screen | MSAA: ? | Tree Visibility: ? | Vsync: On | Mirrors: ? | Civ Traffic: High | Res Of Cockpit Disp: 512 | Clutter: ? | Fullscreen: On

I have increased the Level of Detail of ground textures around my aircraft too.

In the --Old Nosie section, I raised noise1back to 60000 and all distant textures are clear, no noticeable frame hit and no weird graphical errors.

Thanks for your very high mod Kuky, much appreciated. Sim looks lovely now.

Raising that noise1back setting is unnessessary really (keep it if you prefer it though)

Best thing though is to bring it back down to 20000 and take a look at these settings in this post

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1230373&postcount=26

@Mustang, why is it better to raise distanceLevel10 than noise1back?

Does your edit affect performance at all?

Thanks mate.

I've done a bit of re-testing with that noise1back value this evening, at first i thought it looked ok with a raised 80000 setting, but then i noticed why i don't like using it...check these two comparison pics:

first pic, you can see a line where the detail stops getting drawn

screen110620211519.jpg

as the camera moves forward slightly, the detail drawn jumps ahead abruptly

screen110620211525.jpg

i would much rather have the more subtle effect of the default setting of 20000 for the noise1back.

Oh, and as for those other settings from that post in the other thread? absolutely no change in FPS for me, and looks 10x better :)

Edited by Mustang

• 4 weeks later...

First of all, thanks again for sharing this Mustang, it's the best tweak/mod for DCS: A-10C in my opinion so far, along with high quality terrain textures! :thumbup:

I've tweaked it to get cities and forests drawn as far as possible, trying not to hurt performance so much..I'd rather have some options like water on low, hdr off and really high visibility/draw distance.

After a couple hours of testing, I came up with some settings that made me happy, could you take a look to see if there's anything that could be reduced/changed? If anyone else is interested and wants to test, I'll be happy to hear your opinion..

Happy flying! :pilotfly:

Very_High.lua

Voando.org - Brazilian Flight Community

Found a way to do this also :thumbup:

1. edit .../Config/Graphics.cfg file (use Notepad++) and add new section under Camera presets like this... I called it Very_High

2. edit .../MissionEditor/Data/Scripts/OptionsData.lua file (use Notepad++) and add new entry for visibility range settings like this (look for line 325)

3. now go to .../Config/Terrain folder and copy/paste High.lua file and name it Very_High.lua and make changes you want and adjust/increase distance values to your liking

Well thank you very much kuky! =)

BUT: Now i see that even my gtx 580 quickly reaches its limits with all details on.

using everything at highest settings (except: civ traffic off, water: medium, msaa x 2, cockpit resolution:512) at a resolution of 1920 x 1080 my frames go down to about 20 fps in the heat of the battle (having tgp and mav-seeker turned on).

thats a hard impact...

I am really wondering wether another gtx 580 would solve the problem, or if the fps impact is cpu dependant (i7 930 @4ghz).

does anybody want to try this out with a single and dual gtx 580 and the very high settings? Just before I go out and spend another 380 Euro for the second graphic card :D

Greetings

Boris

9900k, 2080TI, 64GB, ssd, valve index, Thrustmaster on virpil, virpil cm2 throttle, tpr pedals, mfd.

Well thank you very much kuky! =)

BUT: Now i see that even my gtx 580 quickly reaches its limits with all details on.

using everything at highest settings (except: civ traffic off, water: medium, msaa x 2, cockpit resolution:512) at a resolution of 1920 x 1080 my frames go down to about 20 fps in the heat of the battle (having tgp and mav-seeker turned on).

thats a hard impact...

I am really wondering wether another gtx 580 would solve the problem, or if the fps impact is cpu dependant (i7 930 @4ghz).

does anybody want to try this out with a single and dual gtx 580 and the very high settings? Just before I go out and spend another 380 Euro for the second graphic card :D

Greetings

Boris

Hey scheffchen, I'm running it on a GTX580 also..my specs are:

i5 750@4.1ghz

8Gb DDR3 1600mhz

GTX580

2xCrucial C300 64gb Raid-0

I can run it fine with the Very_high.lua settings I've posted, these are my settings:

launcher201107191701081.jpg

Also, I tweak graphics.cfg:

SYNC = true

MaxFPS = 50

I only get low framerate in multiplayer, in some occasions when missions have a lot of models around in sight...Singleplayer is 90% of the time at 50fps..

Hope it helps :thumbup:

• Like 1

Voando.org - Brazilian Flight Community