DCS: A10C WARTHOG START-UP GUIDE

oritpro

I created an A10C start-up guide based on the training mission in the SIM. It includes several screenshots with the controls highlighted just as they are during the training mission.

I've found it helpful as I learn my way around the cockpit and thought that others might find it helpful as well.

On Google Docs:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1oSPiSZn2C10N5KbuJgvF2kETX9olzRt3Nqm8P-_hYms/edit?hl=en#

Enjoy

Edited by oritpro
  • Like 4

Intel Core I7 2600K, DP67BG Motherboard, 12GB Ram, MSI GTX460, Saitek PRO Flight X-65F, Dual 1080P Monitors

Flight Sims:

* DCS: A-10C Warthog

* DCS: Ka-50 Blackshark

* Lock On Platinum

* Rise of Flight

* Enemy Engaged - RAH66 Comanche Vs KA-52 Hokum

Nice guide there oritpro, FYI although the training mission does instruct you to start operating the radio's before starting the APU, and then switching the APU Gen switch to ON, I would strongly advise against it. Here is why.

Since Beta 2 when you switch from battery power to the APU Generator power by hitting the APU Gen switch to ON, it seems to mess up the switches on the radio that you have already set. The closest I can come to explaining it is like a reset, but the switches do not move to you, they still are set where you put them while on battery power.

Nice guide there oritpro, FYI although the training mission does instruct you to start operating the radio's before starting the APU, and then switching the APU Gen switch to ON, I would strongly advise against it. Here is why.

Since Beta 2 when you switch from battery power to the APU Generator power by hitting the APU Gen switch to ON, it seems to mess up the switches on the radio that you have already set. The closest I can come to explaining it is like a reset, but the switches do not move to you, they still are set where you put them while on battery power.

Thanks for the tip WarriorX, you're way ahead of me. I haven't done much with the radios yet.

Intel Core I7 2600K, DP67BG Motherboard, 12GB Ram, MSI GTX460, Saitek PRO Flight X-65F, Dual 1080P Monitors

Flight Sims:

* Lock On Platinum

* Rise of Flight

• 3 weeks later...

After I asked oritpro if it was alright for me to use his document as a starting point to come up with a version containing as many references as possible to get closer to the source of information about all those acronyms we have to swallow...

I was sooo bored turning those >600 pages looking for some switch location or the meaning of a bunch of uppercase letters, sooo many times read and forgotten... Here is what I could do so far:

The format is HTML so I can play with CSS stylesheets and keep going with improvements as I can think of more or someone suggest any...

[edit - link updated]

I shared it via Google docs --12MB WinRAR archive :book: -- Comments & ideas are welcome

Edited by ivanwfr
link updated

I think what we need here are checklists...no images, plain and simple checks we can rely on...including startup checklist, gun shooting, mav shooting, LGB and JDAM shooting...etc, and of course systems/engine shutdown check...that would work for sure!

Thx konkussion i printed that one out

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheA10FAN?feature=mhum

coolermaster HAF full tower

Intell i7 960 bloomfield 4.0Ghz

Evga X58 Classified 3 mobo

Corsair H-60 Hydro Cooler

Corsair Dominator GT 12g DDR3 1866 ram

Corsair Pro Series AX1200w ps

OCZ Vertex3 SSD 240g

Evga GTX590 Vid Card

Creative X-FI Titanium soundcard

TM Warthog Hotas

note: Checklist updated. (link unchanged) https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OofEfpi9kHG_jmvT8Z3BXrgOD9AZzJrLgKAI-yF0-Q4/edit?hl=en&authkey=CI-D4mY#

LINK IS NOW POSTED IN MY SIGNATURE

Decreased upper and lower margins for space to add details without exceeding one page if at all possible.

Relocated alignment step to more logical position in the order and enhanced prominence.

Added minor details throughout- capitalized all switch positions, italicized details.

Edited by S77th-konkussion

Any reason the link is dead for me?

Unknown- I just checked all 3 links posted since yesterday- including the signature link- they all work for me.

Here it is again- taken directly from the page. Maybe Google docs was down for a while..

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OofEfpi9kHG_jmvT8Z3BXrgOD9AZzJrLgKAI-yF0-Q4/edit?hl=en&authkey=CI-D4mY#

Has anyone seen that the training start-up is not the same as the manual start up ?

HaF 922, Asus rampage extreme 3 gene, I7 950 with Noctua D14, MSI gtx 460 hawk, G skill 1600 8gb, 1.5 giga samsung HD.

Track IR 5, Hall sensed Cougar, Hall sensed TM RCS TM Warthog(2283), TM MFD, Saitek pro combat rudder, Cougar MFD.

• 2 weeks later...
I think what we need here are checklists...no images, plain and simple checks we can rely on...including startup checklist, gun shooting, mav shooting, LGB and JDAM shooting...etc, and of course systems/engine shutdown check...that would work for sure!

Checklists are fine but the start-up guide I created was aimed at people that are new to the sim and might not know where all of the switches are located yet, it gives them something visual to reference during a ramp start.

After using the guide several times during missions I finally graduated to checklists. :thumbup:

Nice checklist konkussion! I added it to my (ever growing) collection.

Now this is funny:

Ejection Seat to ARM (not in hangar!) :megalol:

Edited by oritpro

Flight Sims:

* Lock On Platinum

* Rise of Flight

• 4 years later...

I am new to this and just getting started.

I have created a cold start checklist and it works well except for one thing.

How can I get to the Radar Altimeter and EAC switches after i have started the engines? The throttles block my view unless i push them up and then i move the aircraft and i don't want to.

Also, how do i brake on landing?

I believe you are supposed to shut down the battery (off) once the generator is functional.

I think there is a nice checklist in the downloads section already. Bullet points, and emergency switchology as well. Only two pages that can go on a knee-board.

Good day,

DrDetroit

I am new to this and just getting started.

I have created a cold start checklist and it works well except for one thing.

How can I get to the Radar Altimeter and EAC switches after i have started the engines? The throttles block my view unless i push them up and then i move the aircraft and i don't want to.

Also, how do i brake on landing?

The easiest solution is probably setting up key bindings for these (or get the Warthog HOTAS that comes with hardware switches)

Alternatively you can use the mouse to click "through" the throttle at the right spot (to find it move the cursor over the throttle and wait for the correct tool tip to appear).

You can also move your cockpit view backwards (RShift+RCrtl+Numpad / or TrackIR) to bring them into view.

As for landing: don't come in too fast (watch AoA indexer left of your HUD), flare, throttle back to idle, after touchdown apply full (air) speed brakes (LCtrl+B) and apply wheel brakes (W) as needed - preferably at lower speeds.

You can engage NWS below 80(?) knots - although I usually wait until I'm below 50 knots.

Edited by Blackeye

Good guide!

IMO there's a step missing. After "You must wait until the CDU display reads T=4.0.0.8 before selecting NAV mode or you will not be able to activate the EAC in the next step."

After alignment the EGI button on NMSP has to be activated. Otherwise you'll not be able to set EAC on LASTE. Or did I oversee that point in the guide!