new controller and trim in Black Shark?

Hey all I'm new and have been trolling the forums for a couple days as I wait for my copy of Black Shark to arrive.

I used to fly serious flights sims years ago and still have an old CH Fighterstick/Pro Throttle and Pro Pedals but they are all gameport versions purchased just before the USB stuff hit the market. It all needs to get replaced.

I keep reading how Force Feedback sticks are better for trimming the Ka-50 for some reason. Is trim and the stick I use something I need to worry about or can I just replace my CH stuff with the same gear gear but the USB versions, download a profile and get to flying?

Is the "trim" something I need to worry about with what stick I buy for the sim?

The difference for trim between a FFB stick and non-feedback stick for Ka-50:

FFB ex: - You push stick forward to maintain a desired pitch while flying. You press trim and the stick will stay in that position allowing you to release pressure with your hand to make things more comfortable and less fatiguing. How well certain FFB sticks do this for Ka-50 I am not sure since I never owned one. Also, with a FFB stick it can be used for other sims like IL-2 and FSX and the stick will react to different events, cannon fire, stall buffet etc.

Non FFB ex: In Ka-50 to simulate the above, you push stick forward to maintain a desired pitch while flying. You press trim, then release the stick to let it center. You now have a new center that is equal to where the stick was when you pressed trim. There is also another trim simulation option, but the above method is the default.

Search the forums and youtube. You'll see lots of talk about this topic and video examples on youtube.

• Like 1

I've used the old MS FFB Sidewinder 2 back in the day, and really enjoyed it. I understand aircraft trim, but for some reason I'm not understanding what guys like so much about the Logitech FFB in Black Shark.

I'm starting to feel dense. I'm sure it won't be the first time as I learn a new sim. :)

I use a MS FFB Sidewinder 2 in BS and it works well, BUT it took a while.

You have to invert the feedback axis on the options page and ensure the 'return to centre' trim option is not selected.

You can fly with a non-FFB stick but it feels unnatural...if you ONLY fly BS (and no real world flying) then probably soon adjusted.

I suggest reading http://www.simhq.com/_air13/air_421a.html for a heretical view on trimming and flying the BS.

Cheers,

Keith

I've used the old MS FFB Sidewinder 2 back in the day, and really enjoyed it. I understand aircraft trim, but for some reason I'm not understanding what guys like so much about the Logitech FFB in Black Shark.

I suspect the reason is that in an aircraft you are typically "trimming" your control surfaces. IRL I mostly work on the pitch axis, which manipulates trim tabs on the control surface itself. With a helicopter, you are trimming the stick, not the control surface. This may seem like a minor difference, but the ramifications on how you operate the aircraft are major.

The thing with the Logitech FFB is basically that it works well (driver/motor-wise) with the requirements of a helo sim like DCS:BS. Saitek sticks with FFB (like my old Saitek Cyborg Evo Force) have issues with doing it correctly, but from what I've heard the Sidewinder and Logitech ones are pretty good.

The alternative, non-FFB, method isn't bad though. Takes a bit of practice to get used to the center mechanism, but after putting that stuff into muscle memory you're good.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Thanks for all the reply's guys. It's a tough decision buying a new HOTAS and this helps. Maybe the FFB isn't the must have I'm reading about for Black Shark. I wish I could try both and make up my own mind with out laying out hundreds of dollars. :)

If you have time would you way in on my HOTAS question here concerning a Cougar or a CH Pro setup?

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=1141323#post1141323