"Smerch Hunt": Radio message target coordinates for CDU

Bahger

I'm not talking about the JTAC (UTM) format here; Thanks to WarriorX I now know how to input JTAC coordinates into the CDU as a navigational backup plan for target location if the datalink triangle does not appear.

My question is: There are two other target locations supplied by scripted radio message in this mission, I think these are MGRS and Long/Lat. Can anyone advise re. how to input these formats into the CDU? I know Effte has posted excellent r/l information about this but all I need to know is how to input them into the CDU so that I get an accurate TAD reference. Many thanks.

Paulrkii made a PDF tutorial showing you how it is done. It can be found in this thread. While there are minor flaws in the calculations and coordinates used (mentioned only so you won't be tearing your hair out trying to repeat the calculations), it does a very good job of showing you the buttonology and the coordinate formats.

WarriorX has an MGRS CDU entry tutorial? Got a link? He's making some quality material, so I'd like to read that one as well.

Cheers,

Fred

Much of the procedure is the same from the UTM coordinate entry (post #4 in this thread: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=68946), so I took the liberty of pasting my UTM tutorial here and changing the relevant parts.

Use a mission data card to get all the info on the Lat/Long coordinates and the specific weapon, direction of attack, direction of egress and weapon requested.

To make the Lat/Long coordinate provided by JTAC into a waypoint do the following:

Find a safe area to do a wide orbit. Set your autopilot to ALT and then make a left or right banking level turn and hold it. Then engage the autopilot and ensure it is holding the turn and you have no elevation conflicts around you.

The Lat/Long coordinates will be in the form of 2 sets of 7 numbers. The first set is the North coordinates, the second set is the East coordinates. You will see a N and a E next to OSB 16 and OSB 17 to help you enter the coordinates in their proper places.

Make sure your STEER PT switch on your AAP Panel is set to FLT PLAN.

Set your right MFCD to the CDU repeater function.

Check OSB 10 to ensure L/L (Lat/Long) is displayed.

Hit OSB 9 to select the number presented next to the question mark as your new target waypoint.

Using the CDU or the UFC, enter the first set of numbers without spaces in the scratchpad. This is your North set of coordinates.

Hit OSB 17 to enter the coordinate in to the computer. (Note the N at the beginning of the string)

Verify the number entered is correct.

Using the CDU or the UFC, enter the second set of numbers without spaces in the scratchpad. This is your East set of coordinates.

Note: When entering the East set of coordinates it is sometimes necessary to add a 0 to the beginning of the coordinate. For example, the coordinate given as: 42 58 38 will need to be entered as 042 58 38. I am not sure why this is, but if you do not do this, you will get a "Input Error" in the scratchpad.

Hit OSB 16 to enter the coordinate in to the computer. (Note the E at the beginning of the string)

Using the CDU or UFC keypad give your new waypoint a unique name eg: TGT A and hit OSB 7 to change the name.

Now turn your STEER PT dial on the AAP from FLT PLAN to MISSION.

Use the UFC STEER rocker or with the HUD as SOI, DMS UP to cycle thru the waypoints until you see the unique name you created for this target.

Find your target waypoint symbol on the TAD and then use the steering cue's on the HUD to prosecute your attack.

EDIT #1: I created a Powerpoint Tutorial provided in the link below as a PDF that covers this post and adds some pictures and helpful info.

JTAC 9 LINE LAT LONG COORDINATE ENTRY PROCEDURE 03-08-2011.pdf

Edited by WarriorX
  • Like 3

Note: When entering the East set of coordinates it is sometimes necessary to add a 0 to the beginning of the coordinate. For example, the coordinate given as: 42 58 38 will need to be entered as 042 58 38. I am not sure why this is, but if you do not do this, you will get a "Input Error" in the scratchpad.

Always use

DDMM[.mmmmmmm] for latitude and

DDDMM[.mmmmmmm] for longitude.

Latitude goes from 0 to 90 degrees, so two digits are enough. Longitude goes from 0 to 180 so will at times require three digits.

Now, if you only enter two the CDU may be able to figure out what you are up to if your longitude is between 18 and 100 degrees, and add the missing 0. However, if your longitude is e g 16 degrees 32.87 minutes and you enter it as

163287 (DDMM.mm)

the CDU will likely interpret it as 163 degrees, 28.7 minutes.

Avoid this by entering the coordinate as

0163287 (DDDMM.mm)

Edit: No need for spaces, and it would appear that the CDU is in fact ignoring them.

Cheers,

Fred

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to effte again.

+1

I created a Powerpoint Tutorial provided in post #3 above as an attachment provided in PDF format that covers this post and adds some pictures and helpful info.

I will also have a hyperlink to the thread as an addition to my signature line to make it even easier to find.

• 2 weeks later...
Much of the procedure is the same from the UTM coordinate entry (post #4 in this thread: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=68946), so I took the liberty of pasting my UTM tutorial here and changing the relevant parts.

Use a mission data card to get all the info on the Lat/Long coordinates and the specific weapon, direction of attack, direction of egress and weapon requested.

To make the Lat/Long coordinate provided by JTAC into a waypoint do the following:

Find a safe area to do a wide orbit. Set your autopilot to ALT and then make a left or right banking level turn and hold it. Then engage the autopilot and ensure it is holding the turn and you have no elevation conflicts around you.

The Lat/Long coordinates will be in the form of 2 sets of 7 numbers. The first set is the North coordinates, the second set is the East coordinates. You will see a N and a E next to OSB 16 and OSB 17 to help you enter the coordinates in their proper places.

Make sure your STEER PT switch on your AAP Panel is set to FLT PLAN.

Set your right MFCD to the CDU repeater function.

Check OSB 10 to ensure L/L (Lat/Long) is displayed.

Hit OSB 9 to select the number presented next to the question mark as your new target waypoint.

Using the CDU or the UFC, enter the first set of numbers without spaces in the scratchpad. This is your North set of coordinates.

Hit OSB 17 to enter the coordinate in to the computer. (Note the N at the beginning of the string)

Using the CDU or the UFC, enter the second set of numbers without spaces in the scratchpad. This is your East set of coordinates.

Hit OSB 16 to enter the coordinate in to the computer. (Note the E at the beginning of the string)

Using the CDU or UFC keypad give your new waypoint a unique name eg: TGT A and hit OSB 7 to change the name.

Now turn your STEER PT dial on the AAP from FLT PLAN to MISSION.

Use the UFC STEER rocker or with the HUD as SOI, DMS UP to cycle thru the waypoints until you see the unique name you created for this target.

Find your target waypoint symbol on the TAD and then use the steering cue's on the HUD to prosecute your attack.

EDIT #1: I created a Powerpoint Tutorial provided in the link below as a PDF that covers this post and adds some pictures and helpful info.

What if no red triangle shows up? How do I configure the SADL Net?

I've tried the mission In the Weeds, and after the first JTAC call, no red triangle showed up. I think I'm missing something.

Banned by cunts.

apache01.png

The following SADL Net settings usually get you the datalinked red triangle

Setting your OWN ID to 01

and your GROUP ID to 01

• 3 months later...

You guys sure know your stuff!

Thank you again for this awesome info. It makes Playing the sim that much better when I can actually use more and more of the systems in a realistic manner. Many thanks again!:thumbup:

• 5 years later...