Countermeasures questions

Bahger

Understanding the A-10 CMs are a weak spot for me so I did the tutorial twice yet two things continue to baffle me:

- I edited one of the CM programs ("B", I think) to release 3 flares only. I therefore set the flare quantity to 3 and reduced chaff to zero. I then selected this program and, with the CM mode set first to MAN and then to SEMI, found that when I push UP on the HOTAS CM button, it dispenses flares until I manually stop the program with CM DOWN. The manual refers to something called "continuous dispense" but, if this is enabled by default, I do not know how to disable it. So, embarrassingly, I cannot figure out how to dispense 3 flares only per press of CM UP.

- The tutorial refers to HOTAS CM "Down" and HOTAS CM "Back" (also keyboard "-"). On a standard four-way HOTAS CM joystick button (the same one on every joystick I've seen, including the r/l A-10/TM Warthog) how can this be? How can CM "Back" and "Down" not be the same action? I know this is a common issue in DCS A-10 naming conventions but this is the first time it has me baffled, as, in my CH profile, "extra" button functions seem to have been assigned to other HOTAS buttons. However, it is preferable to have all CM functions on one button, if possible, so I'd appreciate guidance.

Thanks!

• Like 2

- The tutorial refers to HOTAS CM "Down" and HOTAS CM "Back" (also keyboard "-"). On a standard four-way HOTAS CM joystick button (the same one on every joystick I've seen, including the r/l A-10/TM Warthog) how can this be? How can CM "Back" and "Down" not be the same action? I know this is a common issue in DCS A-10 naming conventions but this is the first time it has me baffled, as, in my CH profile, "extra" button functions seem to have been assigned to other HOTAS buttons. However, it is preferable to have all CM functions on one button, if possible, so I'd appreciate guidance.

Thanks!

HOTAS CM down means pressing down the switch, not moving it back/forward.

Bahger, the CMS on the stick of an A-10 has 5 ways of travel:

Forward: initiate program.

Back: terminate program.

Left/Right: switch program.

Down (as in: press it as if it was a button): Initiate Jammer.

Incidentally, on the TM Warthog HOTAS, you also have the same thing with the radio switch: four-way "hat" that can also be depressed for a fifth function. There is also an ability to depress the slewing microstick on the throttle.

Edited by EtherealN

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Thanks, gents. I tried "Down" by pressing down on the CM button but my CH CM button appears not to have that function. It's no big deal, I will map Initiate Jammer to a shifted function to keep it on that button.

Any intel on my failure to program a 3-flare burst? It's annoying when I seem to be missing something obvious but I really appreciate the assistance on offer here.

Page 403.

CHAF field is amount of chaff

FLAR field is amount of flares

INTV is the time between release

CYCL is amount of cycles.

So 0,3,1,3 will be three flares, one second, three flares, one second, three flares, stop.

You are looking for 0,3,x,1

(Though I would probably recommend that you instead go for 0 - 1 - 0.25 - 3 instead.)

Edited by EtherealN

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Many thanks EtherealN, I believe I understand the process but what's baffling is that, even with Program B edited merely to eliminate chaff and dispense 2 flares per cycle -- with everything else left alone -- on MAN and SEMI, one press of CM Forward in-flight pumped out flares without limiting the quantity as programmed, and it seemed it would do so until it ran out, or I terminated it with CM Back. As I said, I must be missing something very simple so thank you for bearing with me.

Many thanks EtherealN, I believe I understand the process but what's baffling is that, even with Program B edited merely to eliminate chaff and dispense 2 flares per cycle -- with everything else left alone -- on MAN and SEMI, one press of CM Forward in-flight pumped out flares without limiting the quantity as programmed, and it seemed it would do so until it ran out, or I terminated it with CM Back. As I said, I must be missing something very simple so thank you for bearing with me.

The setting you're looking for is not the flare amount, but the cycle amount, which is the last digit on the right side of the CMSC display.

- EB

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nothing is easy. Everything takes much longer.

The Parable of Jane's A-10

Forum Rules

It's best to avoid adjusting programs A-D too much as they are used by the CMS in Semi and Auto modes to counter specific threats.

You can obviously adjust them to suit you (I do, I don't like the default dispense patterns) but bare in mind the CMS will use them as follows;

A - Old Gen Radar SAMS

B - New Gen Radar SAMS

C - IR SAMS

D - Unknown/Misc

So as you can see, if you switch program B to all flares, it could be a problem. ;)

Program N-Z are unused, so you can use those if you have a 100% custom program in mind.

Edited by Eddie

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

Bahger, Program B by default is 4-0-0,5-10. This means that if your change is limited to removing chaff and asking for 2 flares, the programe will be 0-2-0,5-10; 2 flares every 0.5 seconds for 5 seconds - 20 flares.

Also note (Page 401) that if you select Semi mode, the system itself will select program but require manual activation, based on threat. This means that even if you edit program B properly to be 0-2-0,5-1, if the system judges the threat to require more it will switch to another program.

As an aside: Program K is 0-2-1-1 by default: one double flare deployment only.

EDIT: double-sniped. :D

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Glad you started this thread cuz I was gona start one about how to run the ECM, but as stated above, push down CNS buttton....thanks.

intel i5 3570k @ 4.5 Ghz + Corsair H100 in push-pull / Asus Maximus V Formula mobo / 16Gb Gskill Ripjaw Z ddr3 1600 / evga 690 GTX 4gb / 1 TB WD caviar Black 7200 rpm sata HDD + 80GB Corsair F80 SSD + 2x Corsair 60Gb Force3 SSD / TM Warthog HOTAS-G940 Peddals / Corsair 1200 AX gold PSU / Windows 7 64 bit OS / 27" Qnix 2710 @ 2560 x 1440 120hz PLS Monitor & 23" acer touch screen with Helios/

Always wondered why that jammer never went active. :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

257th Fighting Falcons/First VFW-25th Virtual Fighter Squadron

Specs: Win7 HP 64 bit, i7-960 @ 3.2GHz, 12GB DDR3 RAM @ 1333MHz, Intel-based Alienware mobo, 256GB Samsung SSD, WD 1.0TB HD, Samsung LCD monitor @ 1920x1200, TM Warthog, SIMPED vario F-16 rudders w/brakes, R.A.T. 7 mouse, 2xMimo 7" LCDs, 2xTM Cougar MFDs, and TrackIR4 w/Pro Clip. Wife who tolerates it. Cat who thinks she can interrupt at ANY time. :doh:

Always wondered why that jammer never went active. :D

Yeah me too, I'll have to looking into this a bit more been flying around with a jammer pod and having no idea how it works within the sim, range of jammer, Does the AI pick up the jammer from twice the range like in FC