Aerial Refueling Training

Aylward

Here's a simple SP/MP training mission for practicing Aerial Refueling. There are two KC-135 tankers flying a box pattern between Batumi (where you take off) and Sukhumi, one on each corner of the box so even if you join late, one should be nearby when you take off. They are stationed at two different altitudes. Room for 8 clients and a player slot with varied loadouts(most are inert rounds and fuel tanks..combat is not part of this mission, just tanking with varied loads)... We had 5-6 in it most of last night with just the one tanker and it was a blast. Added the second tanker on a diff freq and a few more client slots (including the SP player) and it looks ok. I'm new with this editor stuff so be gentle.. :P

Note: The tankers are reachable by radio by all clients, but Tacan for the tankers only seems to work for the host (is ED gonna fix that hopefully?)

Hope this makes practicing this a little easier. Enjoy ! :pilotfly:

p.s. - My noob advice so far... DONT FOLLOW THE BOOM !! Stay level on the alt you settle on and slide forward at no more then 1-2 knots closure til the boom is filling your hud, then ease up to 0 closure and just inch it forward til it contacts. The boom will come to you if you are within reach and level. I aim for just below the wings on the boom when it's extended for a flight level and then focus on keeping the bubble on the horizon line and my line up on the tanker and then move forward ever so gently... :joystick:

Would love to hear what SOP is from the real hog pilots, including handling formations for multiple planes waiting to tank. We were lining up on it's right side last night to queue up, and then moving left when finished at someone's suggestion for lack of a better system..

Aerial_Refueling_Training.miz

Edited by Aylward

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

please... please... please... let the next DCS module be an F-18 fighter aircraft :worthy:

Far as I've seen, it seems to work pretty well for both Host and clients.. here's a couple shots of clients in my server the other night taking on fuel. Think one of those is Airdog, another is =LWS= Blade and I think Burner is the one out the front cockpit window..

:thumbup:

Screen_110226_142640.thumb.jpg.3d36433ad14c0c0c505139da7f0f2371.jpg

Screen_110226_204225.thumb.jpg.fcae2769179aeff7ad682cad42d794a4.jpg

Screen_110226_205657.thumb.jpg.02ea54f876843f8c00b45499462bc3bd.jpg

Screen_110226_141457.thumb.jpg.f4e3ba152087235265f8a11fa6fb4f00.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

please... please... please... let the next DCS module be an F-18 fighter aircraft :worthy:

The words "Transfer Complete" coming over the radio sure sounded sweet!

I dont know about you all, but it took probably 9-10 hookup/disconnects to get to Transfer Complete.....I need more practice obviously.

Cool mission :thumbup:

How do you keep your planes steady? i've increased the curvature on pitch and roll axis for more precise control, but i'm still wobbling all over the place. I only get initial contact, once i break off, i cannot re-establish contact :mad:

The longest contact was about 10 seconds

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• 1 month later...

Just tried it for the first time. OMG, for a moment there I was able to keep the plane steady after that i was wobbling all over the place! Never hooked up but I made the boom follow me a couple of times. Tho it was getting late and I have to work tomorrow I decided in my mind that the tanker pilot is messing up with me and rammed the bastard :D

I WAS ON TOP! :megalol:

Aviate - Navigate - Communicate

Note: The tankers are reachable by radio by all clients, but Tacan for the tankers only seems to work for the host (is ED gonna fix that hopefully?)

Did you set the TACAN frequency for both tankers in the mission editor Advanced Waypoint Actions?

And also set the AM frequencies for them, some people have reported issues with contacting the tanker if its not set in the actions?

Not able to test right now and posting from my phone.

Edited by Ells228

coooool love this sort of thing wish I could get on MP to give it a go. Will try SP instead

Edited by bluepilot76
spelling

Technical Specs: Asus G73JW gaming laptop... i7-740QM 1.73GHz ... GTX460m 1.5GB ... 8GB DDR5 RAM ... Win7 64 ... TIR5 ... Thrustmaster T16000m

Had a few gos on SP. Nice challenge and quite addictive. Longest hookup is about 5secs for me so far, but improving. How long does it take to take on a few 1000lbs? Not sure I will be able to hold my breath long enough anyway! Boom operator seems a bit clumsy at times he (she?) made a right mess of the front of my hog, certainly wasnt my fault. no way was it my fault chief!

Must be a lot of fun online, and the others can practice formation flying whilst in the que. Thanks for posting.

Technical Specs: Asus G73JW gaming laptop... i7-740QM 1.73GHz ... GTX460m 1.5GB ... 8GB DDR5 RAM ... Win7 64 ... TIR5 ... Thrustmaster T16000m

Did you set the TACAN frequency for both tankers in the mission editor Advanced Waypoint Actions?

And also set the AM frequencies for them, some people have reported issues with contacting the tanker if its not set in the actions?

Not able to test right now and posting from my phone.

I believe I did..but I will double check that. :pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 years later...

Refueling tips for Saitek X52 Pro users

I recently purchased an X52 Pro, primarily to get the throttle stick for aerial refueling. While the stick has been an excellent addition to my flight sim experience, I found that my aerial refueling was still suffering - short boom hookups and many disconnects. However, I adjusted my axis curves and the results were IMMEDIATE - I was able to completely refuel the A-10 on the first try after making the adjustments.

I have posted screen shots of my axis curves, but of course everybody's preferences will be different. However, the biggest positive change for me was the throttle curve. By setting it to -15, I found that I could finally control my distance on the boom. This curvature makes it so that movements on the throttle have less of an increment or decrement effect at mid levels. Sure, I still disconnect a few times, but it is extremely easy to get back onto the boom and continue filling up.

So, if you are having trouble with your A-10 refueling, particularly many boom connects and disconnects, and you have an X52 Pro, at the very least change your throttle curvature to something in the negative range. You might be surprised at how effective this small change is.

Good luck!

img1.thumb.jpg.8531c0b0e575e4cb41971c6a881b625f.jpg

img2.thumb.jpg.6a057efbe93bc978149194b5a5e70df6.jpg

img3.thumb.jpg.844a8130037490778bb9994233ecfc9a.jpg

• 1 year later...
God i ****ing hate computers. How do i download this. just tried and have to download another ****ing program called miz.WTF

Calm down Boston!

The .miz file is the mission file. Put it in your missions folder in DCS World\Mods\aircrafts\A-10C\Missions\EN\Training

or any other folder you care to choose or create.

Start DCS World and go to Missions and then click on A-10C. From there go find the mission file that you downloaded. Select it and go fly.

Deep breaths and relax.

Regards,

Milli