Operation First Strike

Geskes

Releasing MP mission. Didnt go trough the trouble of creating an SP version, its not really feasible for this scenario. Feel free to host your own private LAN party though and give it a go. Alternatively you could just join our squadron and have a blast :).

We had issues trying to get all clients slots loaded but I wonder if anyone is able to pull off 12 clients at the moment. (if so, let me know how!!)

Will post here all the intel briefs I posted on internal wing forum.

One thing not in below info: When Dodge gets airborne a tanker will spawn at the platform. This tanker has to get airborne before Colt flight. Therefor when taxiing to the active runway, Colt has to wait at the start at the platform untill Dodge lead is airborne and the tanker is taxiing behind the other Dodge flight members.

Operation First Strike

Launcher%202011-01-26%2019-52-31-83.jpg

Operation Map

SITREP

Tensions between Russia and Georgia have been escalating recently and have now reached a boiling point. Russia's new president is a hardliner and analysts say he might be aiming to annex parts of Georgia. USA and NATO have secretly pledged their support should it be required. Due to hugely increased troop movements along the Russian-Georgia border, relentless provocations of allied pilots by Russian air defense crews and radio transmission intercepts elements within intelligence conclude a Russian move can be expected within 36-48hrs. NATO cannot afford to lose the initiative. Therefor NATO has authorized a series of preemptive strikes. As of now, the only ground-attack focused squadron in the area is the 25th Draggins VFS, based out of Gudauta.

The 25th will be at the forefront of this campaign during the first 24hrs. Other assets are already enroute towards the Georgian Theater. However we want to maintain the element of surprise and and influx of assets now would ruin this for sure. The 25 will deal the first blow of the campaign.

Mission

Wing command has come up with a plan to strike one of the russian forward bases near Sochi-Adler Airbase and take out a big chunck of their EW capability. The biggest problem for this strike is an SA-6 site just north-east of the primary target. Other air defense elements are in out of range positions north west past Sochi and North east into the mountains.

If at any time the russians suspect an attack, they will for sure reinforce the base with these additional elements. This must be prevented. Russian radar crews have been conditioned to disregard patrols over sea by our A-10s because we do it daily but 2 flights of A-10s coming in head-on might set off their alarm bells.

Dodge Flight

Launcher%202011-01-26%2019-53-13-75.jpg

Dodge Flight-Plan

Dodge flight will be a wolf in sheepclothes. They will appear to be on a ferry flight out of theater down south, as we regularly do to transfer A-10s to the Gulf Region. When Dodge is airborne a KC-135 will take-off on which dodge flight is to form up. When the tanker approaches sukhumi it will broadcast an emergency and land. As soon as Dodge is no longer tracked by the EW radar it will hit the deck and head steerpoint two and follow the route into the mountains along the russian border (DO NOT CROSS!!) to pop-up at the IP and take out the SA-6 radar. After the SA6 radar is down coordinate with Colt to clean the area of enemy forces.

Colt Flight

Launcher%202011-01-26%2019-53-06-57.jpg

Colt Flight plan

Colt will be the decoy. They will take-off and proceed towards steerpoint 2. As usual the SA-6 will start playing games. Do not get too impressed with this. The range of of the SA-6 launchers is indicated by waypoint 4, 5 and 6. Do not fly past these! Also do not yet cross the sea border with Russian waters shown on the TAD! Colt is to entertain the enemy air defences while Dodge sneaks around the back. Use the time you have while Dodge is enroute to observe the area and spot threats. Loiter around steer 3:OBSERVATION. Communicate any targets you observe with Dodge. Once Dodge is within Maverick range you may approach the enemy position and pass beyond the SA6 range and the russian border. The EW radar is your primary target. Only colt has 2000 pounders to destroy the ammo bunkers so these are your secondaries.

Both flights should maintain communication while enroute and it is imperative that Colt shares target data with Dodge, since dodge will not have visual untill seconds before the attack commences. Aim for a coordinated strike on both SA6 and EW Radar. Do not build on a single launch, anti-missile defence systems, like Tunguska, are operational in the area. After the initial strike maintain standoff range, do not extend into Russia and coordinate follow-up attacks to take out all armor and buildings at the base.

Target Recon

SA6 Site with Dodge ingress from the NNE.

Launcher%202011-01-26%2019-52-54-93.jpg

Forward Base with SA6 to the NE and Colt ingress.

Launcher%202011-01-26%2019-52-59-10.jpg

Picture taken today (Briefing is evening before the op ;)) from our side of the border overlooking the target area.

ScreenShot_062.jpg

Specops elements will infiltrate the target area tonight and if succesfull transmit more accurate footage. Plan of execution may change based on that intel. Stay tuned!!

co12.FirstStrikev1.1.miz

Edited by Geskes
  • Like 1

I7920/12GBDDR3/ASUS P6T DELUXE V2/MSI GTX 960 GAMING 4G /WIN 10 Ultimate/TM HOTAS WARTHOG

INTEL FLASH

Transmission from Recon Bravo, enroute to locating and monitoring other forward bases behind enemy lines. Enemy AD element identified. This is one of the elements on high alert to respond anywhere and attack is anticipated. Imagery Uploaded.

ScreenShot_067.jpg

ScreenShot_064.jpg

ScreenShot_065.jpg

Gobes out!

I7920/12GBDDR3/ASUS P6T DELUXE V2/MSI GTX 960 GAMING 4G /WIN 10 Ultimate/TM HOTAS WARTHOG

NEWS FLASH

Al Jazeera has reported today about an incident along the border. Russian troops are already present on the ground in Abkhazia!

250px-Abkhazia_detail_map2.png

Georgian police officers have been in an incident with the Russian military.

There is now no way this conflict can be avoided. The operation must take place as planned, we can only hope that we are in time.

Watch here the Al Jazeera report.

• Like 1

INTEL FLASH

SEAL TEAM 3 is approaching the coast. They will be one of our dedicated recon assets for this operation. They have eyes on an enemy FARP at the forward base which means we will probably face a helo threat tomorrow as well.

ScreenShot_147.jpg

ScreenShot_143.jpg

ScreenShot_144.jpg

INTEL FLASH

EYES ONLY

Guys, this one is directly from Langley. Covert assets have discovered a critical node in the Russian command & control system. Our top brasses want to take the opportunity of the corridor our operation will create in the Russian air defences to strike this facility.

ScreenShot_148.jpg

New package TUSK will be added to operation to strike this target. Operation needs 4 to 8 additional pilots for this target. Detailed imagery will follow. (ONLY APPLICABLE TO CO12 VERSION)

RECON FLIGHT DEBRIEF

2 of our A-10s just made a high altitude recon flight to get some TGP footage of the targets from the georgian side of the border. All targets of interest are highlighted in the following footage series.

Russian Forward Base (Dodge & Colt Primary Target)

firsstrike1.jpg

Left Side Close-Up:

firststrike2.jpg

Right Side Close-Up:

firststrike3.jpg

Armor Positions:

firsstrike4.jpg

SA-6 Site (Dodge):

firststrike5.jpg

CCC & Chemical Facility (TUSK):

firststrike10.jpg

EW SITE (TUSK)

firststrike9.jpg

Artillert Fire Base (TUSK):

firsstrike6.jpg

Fire Base Command (TUSK):

firststrike7.jpg

Flight leads prepare flight and target planning accordingly.

Spec ops are now in position and reconing Dodge ingress for threat evaluation.

Gobes out!

Tusk flight plan confirmed.

ScreenShot_227.jpg

Take-off from sukhumi, then follow in behind dodge (+3 mins), pop-up at the IP and strike targets.

Recon teams have scouted Dodge and Tusk ingress route along the border with Russia. Section size AD elements spotted. ZSU-23/4, Igla MANPADS, BTR-80. They are highly mobile so no position intel can be accurate at any time.

Recon teams have setup observation posts along the border with russia. When AD threats are near you will be warned by a dual RED signal flare. Most of the teams are setup near the river in woody areas for cover. Be on the look-out for the flares from these positions. Clear route sections will be indicated by GREEN signal flares. If RED flares spotted preemptive countermeasure flare employment is advised. Do not try to engage any of these threats, if present, but take evasive action and proceed to your IP.

Depending on threat level the teams will remain in position to signal Tusk flight.

On a sidenote, Tusk flight is a beautiful flight trough the mountains. You will strike CCC targets and a firebase. 4 seats are available for this. Once you reach the target area you will be welcomed in 10+ fps heaven and probably a CTD. (j/k :D)

Loadouts also confirmed. Element leads carry 1 x M-156 WP rocket pod, wingmen carry 1 x gbu-12 besides below mentioned. All aircraft come with full gun load and countermeasures suite including jammer.

Dodge:

4 x GBU-38

4 x AGM-65D

Colt:

2 x GBU-38

2 x GBU-10

4 x AGM-65D

Tusk:

6 x GBU-12

2 x GBU-10

4 x AGM-65D

Tusk is 11% overweight for take-off :D Sukhumi has a very long runway though and you are coming in for massive destruction on buildings.

Looking very nice indeed.

Look forward to trying this. We'll see if we can get 12 in the air for it, see how our connection holds up.

Thanks, will provide feedback once its been flown a few times. :)

i5-3570K @ 4.5 Ghz, Asus P8Z77-V, 8 GB DDR3, 1.5GB GTX 480 (EVGA, superclocked), SSD, 2 x 1680x1050, x-fi extreme music.

TM Warthog, Saitek combat pro pedals, TrackIR 4

hey thanks Geskes... gave it a try and its pretty tough.

Are there any radio freqs for this mission?

thanks

Jeff

There is no BLUFOR AI in the mission besides the tanker at the start. So no frequencies really to listen in to.

If you go at it alone yeah, its pretty tough, if not very very tough. Go with dodge flight, follow the flight-plan and take out the SA-6, then try picking off some of the other priority threats in the area and you might be able to strike some primaries. Keep your distance and you should be fine. Always keep in mind where the border with Georgia is, as this is the obvious safe zone from where you can observe the area. So you'd pop-up for SA-6 kill, then after launch hit the deck and revert back over Georgia airspace. Observe and plan follow-up attacks.

Best way is to fly with some buddies though and have at least dodge and colt flight. Colt is then overwatch and can scan the area for threats while dodge is still enroute. This way you have a good picture of threats in the area that can be prioritized for elimination as soon as the sa-6 radar is down.

Either way its meant to be a serious exercise in low-level mountain flying, communication between flights and operating in high threat environment so it will be challenging.

Although I took great care to prevent waypoints from not being at ground level, a mistake might still be there.

* Just checked, in the co8 version the Dodge lead SA-6 waypoint is indeed at 5000 ft. Quite a critical mistake on my part...

:poster_oops:

Corrected file uploaded.

Also co12 was forcing scenes to low in previous upload, have removed this now.

Edited by Geskes

Although I took great care to prevent waypoints from not being at ground level, a mistake might still be there.

* Just checked, in the co8 version the Dodge lead SA-6 waypoint is indeed at 5000 ft. Quite a critical mistake on my part...

:poster_oops:

Corrected file uploaded.

Also co12 was forcing scenes to low in previous upload, have removed this now.

Nice one, i'll try it again in a bit :thumbup:

We tried it tonight, but the tanker crashed into the hill right after take off. The second flight (the one that was supposed to follow the tanker) just followed the steerpoints while the recon flight just orbitted outside SA-6 range. We killed the SA-6, EWR, some helos (with mavericks) both ammo dumps (BTW, you only need a single 500 lb bomb to kill an ammo dump), some 2S6s, trucks, alot of iglas, alot of ZU-23, and some tanks. Didn't get a victoy message, but that's OK, it felt liek we won. It was fun! Eventually we all had to go, and there were still some targets left. But what do we have to do to get victory? Also, any idea why the tanker crashed? Did you test this in multiplayer with clients connected? Aircraft AI acts different in multiplayer with clients connected.

Suggestions: Why is there no briefing in the mission? You should include the briefing, I'm kinda mystified why not?

Also, why .rar? Please, .zip is better, if possible.

Intelligent discourse can only begin with the honest admission of your own fallibility.

Member of the Virtual Tactical Air Group: http://vtacticalairgroup.com/

Lua scripts and mods:

MIssion Scripting Tools (Mist): http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=98616

Slmod version 7.0 for DCS: World: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=80979

Now includes remote server administration tools for kicking, banning, loading missions, etc.

We tried it tonight, but the tanker crashed into the hill right after take off. The second flight (the one that was supposed to follow the tanker) just followed the steerpoints while the recon flight just orbitted outside SA-6 range. We killed the SA-6, EWR, some helos (with mavericks) both ammo dumps (BTW, you only need a single 500 lb bomb to kill an ammo dump), some 2S6s, trucks, alot of iglas, alot of ZU-23, and some tanks. Didn't get a victoy message, but that's OK, it felt liek we won. It was fun! Eventually we all had to go, and there were still some targets left. But what do we have to do to get victory? Also, any idea why the tanker crashed? Did you test this in multiplayer with clients connected? Aircraft AI acts different in multiplayer with clients connected.

Suggestions: Why is there no briefing in the mission? You should include the briefing, I'm kinda mystified why not?

Also, why .rar? Please, .zip is better, if possible.

Speed, thanks for feedback.

-I only tested it once with actual clients connected and the tanker spawn trigger working (first times I had a condition that only works in SP) and there I also noticed tanker crashing into the mountain.. This didnt happen in SP test so I figured it was just that we were flying too close formation on the tanker and he was trying to avoid collision... Will change its route then, didnt know behaviour was different. Thanks!

-Can you tell me which statics need 2000 pounders? Thought it was the ammo bunkers :doh:

-No victory message, noted, will add that. What you have to do is pretty much outlined above.

At one point I stopped working on the co8 because I noticed 8 seats wasnt enough to accomodate for everyone who wanted to join in on the mission. I then made it into a co12 adding extra elements like random threats for both target areas and kept co8 as is. Only random thing in the co8 is the Dodge ingress trough the mountains. co12 is better I think and also has the waypoints for flight 3 (tusk) targets set in flight 1 and 2 flight plan so if you have not enough pilots for three flights you could opt to rearm and go back for tusk targets. It even has some scoring! Decided to keep the co8 in the package because it runs a bit better over the target area because of less AI and static objects. Maybe I should cut it out depending on what b5 does to performance.

-No briefing, that is because I did the running intel briefs on the forum of our wing showing all the target info and going into detail about each flight. I figured I couldn't do it as nicely in the briefing with all the TGP pictures and so on. The thread on our forum was the briefing. So I decided to just copy those intel posts to here and call it a day figuring anyone who would download it would see those intel posts and read trough it. I guess I was wrong :D (and lazy..). Does it mean you also didnt notice the flares in the canyons to warn for threats?? Too bad... I liked that part the most. Will add the briefing also but I don't know about the pictures, dont even know how to do it tbh. I think the mission would get very big with 20 or so pictures included?

-If ZIP is the standard I will happily adapt to that :)

This was my first venture into something MP and must say its an entirely different ball-game.. Especially balancing and testing is hard. But I have commited to a kind of 'dynamic' campaign where each week I will create a mission to fly with our squad based on the results of the previous mission. These will be posted on this forum after the flight. So you'll probably see more whether you like it or not :P Now working on a CSAR mission as one of our guys had to eject right over the target area...

Will process your feedback into an update with briefing, full scoring and victory message and post it again. As said, many thanks!

Well, they noticed the flares in the canyons, but they didn't know what they meant.

I don't know of any statics that require 2000 pounders.

a 512x512 jpg seems to be readable (as I found out today) at only 50kb. Twenty of those is only 1MB. A mission begins to get too large, IMO, at around... maybe 10MB. You'll be fine! I recently was flying a 6.4MB mission, no problem, people just took a 20 seconds longer to connect to a 1.5 hour mission.... if someone doesn't ahve the patience to sit through the load time, I can't imagine how they would have the patience to learn how to fly this jet.

Alot more people can unzip .zip than .rar. .rar usually requires you to download some spamware 30 day trial version of some P.O.S. software... no offense... I hate .rar.

Intelligent discourse can only begin with the honest admission of your own fallibility.

Member of the Virtual Tactical Air Group: http://vtacticalairgroup.com/

Lua scripts and mods:

MIssion Scripting Tools (Mist): http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=98616

Slmod version 7.0 for DCS: World: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=80979

Now includes remote server administration tools for kicking, banning, loading missions, etc.

Uploaded new version.

*Includes briefing with all the target recon footage and explicit mention of primary targets for each flight. (THANKS for the suggestion Speed, worked out really well)

*Includes messages for completion of seperate objectives.

*Includes VICTORY MESSAGE when every objective is complete.

*Changed tanker flight plan to prevent him smashing into the mountain. He now turns left over sea after take-off. Didnt have the chance to test it with clients but should be fine.

*Cut out the co8. Cannot afford time to maintain two versions. Mission can be flown with any number of pilots up to 12 though.

PS also included scoring for each seperate target but how are you supposed to check up on coalition score in MP?

Edited by Geskes

If you have WORD you can put your complete brief into it and then save it as a .pdf file. Some people can either print off the parts they need or pop it onto their tablet/ipad if they are fortunate enough to own one.

PS also included scoring for each seperate target but how are you supposed to check up on coalition score in MP?

I think for scoring in MP you are going to have to do it via Lua. Its quite a laborious task though checking on the status for each and every Objective unit. Once mission is complete you can then display the results at the end or save the results to a file and post it up on the forum.

i7-7700K : 16Gb DDR4 2800 Mhz : Asus Mobo : 2TB HDD : Intel 520 SSD 240gb : RTX 2080ti: Win10 64pro : Dx10 : TrackiR4 : TM Warthog : ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q

I think for scoring in MP you are going to have to do it via Lua. Its quite a laborious task though checking on the status for each and every Objective unit. Once mission is complete you can then display the results at the end or save the results to a file and post it up on the forum.

Its weird to me that you can set objectives with conditions and select a coalition for it. If you select a coalition for the objective it will not work in offline play, because you have to select OFFLINE for that to work. So why then the option of selecting an online coalition when it doesnt have any use?

If you are using MISSION GOALS then you are correct, you can assign BLUE or RED for ONLINE scoring. This will of course only give you a total score for each coalition at the end of the mission. I do not however know if this is working in Beta4.

I thought you might want individual scoring. i.e. A total score and a breakdown of who destroyed what. This is possible but requires quite a few lines of Lua code with each unit placed on the map referred to.

i7-7700K : 16Gb DDR4 2800 Mhz : Asus Mobo : 2TB HDD : Intel 520 SSD 240gb : RTX 2080ti: Win10 64pro : Dx10 : TrackiR4 : TM Warthog : ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q

Yes I used mission goals indeed. Kind of messed up my wording there, mission goals is what I meant to say :)

I don't really feel the need for individual pilot target kill list. You already see how many kills you have made and how many you have per player in the pool.

So you only see it in the end. Good enough for me.

PS, any sources around for basic lua stuff you can use in DCS? Just curious what you can achieve with it.

PS, any sources around for basic lua stuff you can use in DCS? Just curious what you can achieve with it.

Not DCS specific function explanations or global variable list no.

I've only just started playing with Lua in DCS after talking to Speed. Have a look at his Intervention Prevention .miz he has gone to a lot of trouble checking LOS on enemy radar through the use of Lua, not to mention his 'stare at the camera, while I F2 you and take yr picture' registration process.

For just Lua there's plenty of Tutorials on the web.