Warthoggers: Updated firmware released

http://ts.thrustmaster.com/eng/index.php?pg=view_files&gid=1&fid=3&pid=311&cid=1

I haven't tried this - frankly because I'm not sure why I should, but FYI..

If anyone digs up a real changelog for it (other than it just pushing the firmware versions up) it would be good to share that too. It might be inside the download itself perhaps, haven't checked yet.

All it says on the link above:

Changes :

Includes Firmware versions 10 (Joystick) & 18 (Throttle)

Protection of the flash write through HID to avoid potential flash corruption

Edited by topdog
  • Like 2

[ i7 2600k 4.6GHz :: 16GB Mushkin Blackline LV :: EVGA GTX 1080ti 11GB ]

[ TM Warthog / Saitek Rudder :: Oculus Rift :: Obutto cockpit :: Acer HN274H 27" 120Hz :: 3D Vision Ready ]

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suspect the last line of your post is the meat of the matter.

"flash corruption" would be at least some of the dead stick/throttle problems.

I've updated mine. Everything still works.

"Tank! I need a program for a TM Warthog!"

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Thermaltake V9 SECC case | Corsair RM750 PSU | Asus ROG Ranger VIII | Intel i7 6700K | 16GB 3000mhz RAM |

EVGA GTX 980Ti FTW | TrackIR 4 w/ pro clip | TM HOTAS Warthog | TM MFD Cougar Pack | Win 10 x64 |

Given that they specifically say your stick must be properly recognized in device manager and game controllers before using the firmware updater....I'd say 'yes'.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thermaltake V9 SECC case | Corsair RM750 PSU | Asus ROG Ranger VIII | Intel i7 6700K | 16GB 3000mhz RAM |

EVGA GTX 980Ti FTW | TrackIR 4 w/ pro clip | TM HOTAS Warthog | TM MFD Cougar Pack | Win 10 x64 |

thanks for sharing this. I will check my firmware version first before running this upgrade. My serial is in the mid 2000s.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus Z390-E, 32GB Crucial Ballistix 2400Mhz, Intel i7 9700K 5.0Ghz, Asus GTX1080 8GB, SoundBlaster AE-5, G15, Streamdeck, DSD Flight, TM Warthog, VirPil BRD, MFG Crosswind CAM5, TrackIR 5, KW-908 Jetseat, Win 10 64-bit

”Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.

However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore.”

Thanks for the heads up topdog. Just updated mine, and everything seems working fine. But why do I have to touch something that is working?:angel: what's life without risks, heh?:devil:

@ Teej according to this post I thought that nothing is 'downloaded' to flash memory in the device. Is this somewhat related, or I totally missed the point?

Thanks for the heads up topdog. Just updated mine, and everything seems working fine. But why do I have to touch something that is working?:angel: what's life without risks, heh?:devil:

@ Teej according to this post I thought that nothing is 'downloaded' to flash memory in the device. Is this somewhat related, or I totally missed the point?

I stand by what I said - the profile isn't "donwloaded" to the stick like it was with the Cougar.

Clearly something with the system has the potential to corrupt the firmware however. Whether that's the throttle (or stick) corrupting its own firmware during the initialization process when they're powered on (by plugging in to a computer) or TARGET writing something out there that I'm not aware of (which, as it stands today, I doubt but wouldn't swear isn't happening), I don't know.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Done...all good.

Out

Same here, all good!!!:pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Celticcoho (OriginFreedom)

WIN 7 64 bit, I7975 at 3.6ghz,X58 Classified 3 Mobo, 6gb Corsair 2000 ram, 2 ea ATI 5870 Eyefinity 6 2gb's , 27" Ultra Sharp,(main view), 3 23"touch screens , Tm Warthog, Saitek Combat Pedals Track IR 5,:D JIM.:book:

Updated and running fine here. My motivation? "Protection of the flash write through HID to avoid potential flash corruption"

As Teej says, the Hog works differently than the Cougar. The Cougar will actually download code to generate character output from key presses. The Hog only generates DX key presses, and uses TARGET to translate them.

This new firmware download is supposed to prevent the Hog firmware from being inavertently corrupted, which seems to be the primary failure most users affected have experienced. I would advise anyone to update the firmware, even if they haven't experienced problems, yet.

Abit IN9 32x MAX- Kentsfield QX6700 @3520

1.5 vcore watercooled D-Tek Fuzion/PA-160/MCR120/2x MCP655

2x2GB G-Skill 1066 5-5-5-15 2T@1.9vdimm

2x EVGA 580GTX 1.5GB SLI

2x 74GB Sata Raptor Raid0

2x 320GB Hitachi Sata II

X-FI Elite Pro

Dell U3011

Lian Li V2100B

Corsair HX1000

I stand by what I said - the profile isn't "donwloaded" to the stick like it was with the Cougar.

Clearly something with the system has the potential to corrupt the firmware however. Whether that's the throttle (or stick) corrupting its own firmware during the initialization process when they're powered on (by plugging in to a computer) or TARGET writing something out there that I'm not aware of (which, as it stands today, I doubt but wouldn't swear isn't happening), I don't know.

Thanks for your honest answer Teej, I appreciate that :)

I don't understand. I installed this, the HID's were showing in devices and I do see now throttle and stick logo's in devices but when I go in target the firmware isnt updated.

Still 9 / 17.

I7920/12GBDDR3/ASUS P6T DELUXE V2/MSI GTX 960 GAMING 4G /WIN 10 Ultimate/TM HOTAS WARTHOG

Does it fix the "always on green glow" of the throttle backlight?

I was about to say "I don't think so" but then decided I'd try it before I went off half-cocked....good thing.

There are definitely some differences in the way the unit handles power....and I'd have to say...it just might fix that problem for you.

When plugged into my system (EVGA x58 FTW3 motheboard), if I 'sleep' the computer, the throttle does indeed go dark.

I normally keep my throttle plugged into the monitor, however (powered hub, essentially). The throttle does not go dark on that when 'sleep'ing the computer. Still gotta turn my monitor off to get the throttle lights to go off.

However...the more interesting difference I see is when you plug the device in and/or un-sleep the computer. I used to get several seconds of the 5 LEDs, and when they went out it was at the same time the panel backlights kicked in.

Now when I plug it in, the 5 LEDs just give a very brief flash...the throttle stays dark for a couple of seconds...and then the panel backlight comes on.

They almost certainly did something here.

Edited by Teej

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Confirming lights go out on power off. But it will take some time to drain all the power.

Also don't get a heart-attack if they dont turn on immediately when you turn on the pc, they will only turn on once windows is loaded :)

I7920/12GBDDR3/ASUS P6T DELUXE V2/MSI GTX 960 GAMING 4G /WIN 10 Ultimate/TM HOTAS WARTHOG

Also don't get a heart-attack if they dont turn on immediately when you turn on the pc, they will only turn on once windows is loaded :)

Good point. I wrote something about that but then rearranged my post and left that off. :D

I nearly had to change my shorts at one point during this testing because I thought my WH had left the reservation. :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Confirming lights go out on power off. But it will take some time to drain all the power.

Not working for me. Turn off my PC and two minutes later the lights were still bright and shiny. Firmware updated just fine.

@kylania:

Plugged into motherboard or powered hub?

(sorry if you've said before)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Odd.

That's (exactly) how mine was set up when I tested it and it went dark instantly on sleep mode, despite the fact that it's sensitive enough to wake up on a keyboard hit, monitor power change (monitor acts as a USB hub), turning my laser printer on, etc.

Pardon the stupid question...you've gone into TARGET and seen the rev 10/18 firmwares loaded? got the "supershort" blink of the 5 LEDs when you plug it in?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Good luck ;) I'm out for pretty much ~ 12 hr now.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]