Operation Saucage and Cheese

Geskes

I present:

OPERATION SAUCAGE AND CHEESE

SITREP

Insurgent forces have been operating from the mountains south of Kislovodsk. From this area they have been quite succesfull in disrupting BLUFOR operations. The insurgent area of influence is marked with a red circle on below map. Kislovodsk is the southern tip of coalition controlled territory at the moment.

We have been trying to find the insurgents operating base but apparently they have been very cautious with putting up bases or even prepared positions up untill today.

A routine predator reconnaisance detected a small insurgent encampment in the mountains 20 clicks south-west of Kislovodsk.

OBJECTIVE

Command has ordered a raid on the encampment to gather intel and neutralize any insurgents operating from the camp.

FORCE DEPLOYMENT

2 sections of rangers, inserted by helicopter will perform the raid supported by 2 Bradley IFV. Air defences will be suppresed by a flight of A10s. After suppression of air defences A10s will provide CAS during ground force advance on objective.

THREAT ASSESMENT

Predator imagery indicates an SA-9 and ZSU-23 positions around the encampment. An APC platoon as well as some infantry patrols have been detected. Additional forward or observational positions may be present in the forests around the encampment. Several well-equiped insurgent units are known to be operating from the insurgent infested area around the encampment, including multiple APC platoons.

MISSION TIMELINE

23:30 Mission Start

23:30 Predator drone, callsign Pontiac1, arrives on target site to provide real-time imagery.

23:30 4 x UH-60, callsign Uzi1, carrying 2 infantry sections take-off from Mineral'nye Vody airport and head to holding point Alpha, 8 clicks South-east of the encampment.

23:30 2 x Bradley IFV, callsign Axeman1, will clear the route towards the encampment southwest of Kislovodsk and hold at holding point Bravo.

23:45 4 x A10C, callsign Springfield1, take-off from Mineral'nye Vody to clear Air defences at encampent and provide CAS and overwatch for the operation.

23:55 ETOT of A10Cs. Upon receiving codeword "SAUCAGE" given after elimination of AAA and SAM threats, Axeman and Uzi will depart holding points and advance to target area. Uzi will drop troops at the Drop Zone and RTB. Springfield will destroy any armored targets at the site during the advance and provide CAS on OPFOR response.

0:15 ETOT of Axeman teams

0:20 On completing search of encampment taskforce Axeman will consolidate and prepare defensive positions. At this point Springfield is RTB and 2x AH64D, callsign Colt1 will take over CAS assignment.

FREQUENCIES AND ADDITIONAL SUPPORT

Operation frequency is 128.5 AM

Awacs in the air, callsign Overlord, frequency is 132.5

CSAR available on 132.8AM

FURTHER OPERATION DETAILS:

CODEWORD SAUCAGE: Air defences at objective are down, ground forces start advance on objective.

CODEWORD CHEESE: Encampment clear and search completed.

ALTERNATE STRIP: MOZDOK

Overview map of operation:

saucage1.jpg

Zoomed in map-view showing Axeman holding points and our area of operations as well as insertion helicopter flight path, and the planned attack routes of the IFV's and infantry sections:

saucage2.jpg

View of encampment:

saucage3.jpg

Briefing posted now for pre-flight preparation :) , mission will follow tomorrow or sunday after I have flown the mission with my wing. Both SP and 4 player coop variants.

(I know sausage is misspelled but unfortunately it is used so often in the mission material I decided to keep it as is :))

Some notes before you try:

Coop version: Mission seems unstable in first minutes. If you get client crashes at the beginning of the mission, please have the host run the mission for 4-5 minutes and then have the clients join. This doesnt impact mission timing, take-off was scheduled at 23:45 mission time so you still have 10 minutes. Also AI will not proceed untill you start pounding the target position. Pairs have alternating loadouts so 1 can mark targets with WP while 2 is illuminating the area.

SP version: Known beta issue but the Wingmen will start taxi way before you, so you have to cut them off by going onto the runway one taxiway before where they are waiting. (if you catch my drift)

Mission can be challenging, there is no JTAC to help you out spotting targets, you are kind of functioning as AFAC and have to guide your wingmen on any targets.

Mission cannot fail technically, but you will know when you have screwed it up. Unfortunately couldn't make it otherwise because in current beta infantry is not detected by opposing ground AI unless they are engaging targets themselves. This makes them invulnerable against any kind of armored target.

Oh before I forget: Read The Briefing!!!

Good Luck!

updated to v1.1 including two minor fixes improving gameplay because the messages weren't triggered

OperationSaucageandCheeseCO4v1.1.miz

OperationSaucageandCheeseSPv1.1.miz

Edited by Geskes
  • Like 1

I7920/12GBDDR3/ASUS P6T DELUXE V2/MSI GTX 960 GAMING 4G /WIN 10 Ultimate/TM HOTAS WARTHOG

Geskes, you could spell "sausage" anyway you like it and I would still have to say thank you for putting an effort into this exciting mission. I'll be looking forward to it . I hope it comes along for you

"To most people, the sky is the limit. To those who love aviation, the sky is home."-----anonymous

Mission files uploaded. Enjoy and don't forget to use this thread for feedback. Thanks!

Please find some additional notes below the briefing.

Edited by Geskes

I7920/12GBDDR3/ASUS P6T DELUXE V2/MSI GTX 960 GAMING 4G /WIN 10 Ultimate/TM HOTAS WARTHOG

"but you will know when you have screwed it up"

Yes, yes you will! :lol: LOL

That was fun. Will need to go back and try to complete it. Couldn't keep up with the reinforcements.

Other than working the runway/taxiway trick you mentioned in your brief (which CTD twice until I realized the workaround), had no stability issues, which is a relief in any Beta 3 mission.

please feel free to add another wingman or change loadouts to fully loaded tripple launchers for the mavs if the SP version makes me look like a sadist trying to ruin your weekly gaming night :D

• Like 1

Version 1.1 posted,

Fixed two minor issues:

-zone error which caused later messages in the mission to not display.

-opfor waypoint was set at a point where it had no LOS on blufor.

So now you will get messages when search is ongoing, complete and when you are RTB. Quite essential I'd say :)

I broke mission in last-minute tweaks, always something unintended happens with these kind of tweaks, but it is fixed!

Some mission hints:

-Guns are very effective against APC's

-If you illuminate the area the predator is capable of reporting new contacts referenced to bullseye position. Illumination also improves wingman spotting capability

-Do not overfly your target :)

Edited by Geskes

Nice mission. I flew it tonight and made some sort of mistake as my flight did not take off. I requested taxi and take off and never received it. Once i did take off and they ATC acknowledged that. I took the mission on myself to look around though I cheated. Made myself invincible. But will try again. I also (am new to LockOn and any of those series) would like to make this a daylight mission. There must be a way to edit this for SP? I need much more time in the daylinght before I seriously tackle night time missions. Thanks so much though.

"To most people, the sky is the limit. To those who love aviation, the sky is home."-----anonymous

Yes you can edit time of mission very easy.

Load it in editor and select from the left taskbar the symbol that looks like a written letter, or in this case a briefing document. There you will find mission start time which you can change to your liking.

Yes you can edit time of mission very easy.

Load it in editor and select from the left taskbar the symbol that looks like a written letter, or in this case a briefing document. There you will find mission start time which you can change to your liking.

I thought I had found that but then didn't find the hours of the day. Will look again. Thanks Geskes

very exciting mission

i ve played it couple of time, and have fun each time ! but ... the ''surprised'' reinforcement with 4 tanks kill all axemans. I never have time to shoot BMP before they kill them :D so. try it again, and again

i play it on MP, so fun !

Thanks a lot man. Continue to makes this kind of mission ! wouaaaa !

Glad you are having fun with it Forza.

Bahger, no not planning more tweaks at the moment, sometimes the AI acts a little weird but it doesnt really hurt the mission. When we get close to final I make tweaks to any mission I made to make it more polished but the problem is now that AI behaviour might change with next patch and then you have to do it again anyways. I plan to add randomness then so mission will play differently on different playtroughs.

The best experience I think is in MP because you have to be really alert then instead of using AI to spot enemies.