thrustmaster t-flight hotas x

Hi All,

I just purchased the BETA a day ago but I'm struggling with input of all systems due to my 'budget' joystick. X52 or cougar is just too pricy.

In F4 I can easily manage it witht the current controls but that's far less complicated(which is good ;))

T.Flight_Hotas-X.jpg

22670_1_image.jpg

As you can see I have only one HAT switch. There is a 2way rudder style control on the rear of the throttle and in F4 I use it together with the 2 buttons on the rear for slewing the cursor but it isn't ideal.

I'm wondering, can I hold down one button to make the HAT switch become the TMS or DMS or CMS or China Hat switch? Or do I need special software to achieve this?

Maybe any other tips for controlling this impressive hog with such low multi-directional switches?

Cheers!

Exangelus

If your HOTAS does not come with software to program the buttons and switches, you can only use the ingame controler setup and this limits the use of your switches and buttons.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Hi exangelus: you want to do the following:

go in DCS options/ controls and assign buttons 5,6,7,8 as modifiers (controls screen down left/ select your hotas and the buttons you want to use)

then you will have 5 hat switches by pressing 5 + HAT, 6+HAT etc.

it works very well.

hotasxconfig1.txt

Edited by asparagin
  • Like 1
Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, MSI MEG X570 UNIFY (AM4, AMD X570, ATX), Noctua NH-DH14, EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti XC3 ULTRA, Seasonic Focus PX (850W), Kingston HyperX 240GB, Samsung 970 EVO Plus (1000GB, M.2 2280), 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600 DIMM CL16, Cooler Master 932 HAF, Samsung Odyssey G5; 34", Win 10 X64 Pro, Track IR, TM Warthog, TM MFDs, Saitek Pro Flight Rudders

Can anyone explain the use of a switch instead of a modifier?

I think for that you would really need a programing software which I think the HOTAS X lacks, because I'm not aware of a method of assigning switches ingame.

If someone knows if it is possible?

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, MSI MEG X570 UNIFY (AM4, AMD X570, ATX), Noctua NH-DH14, EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti XC3 ULTRA, Seasonic Focus PX (850W), Kingston HyperX 240GB, Samsung 970 EVO Plus (1000GB, M.2 2280), 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600 DIMM CL16, Cooler Master 932 HAF, Samsung Odyssey G5; 34", Win 10 X64 Pro, Track IR, TM Warthog, TM MFDs, Saitek Pro Flight Rudders

go in DCS options/ controls and assign buttons 5,6,7,8 as modifiers (controls screen down left/ select your hotas and the buttons you want to use)

it works very well.

Didn't think of that but it should work out fine for those who lack programming software.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Didn't think of that but it should work out fine for those who lack programming software.

Actually it works just fine even for those with programming software. :D

Well in the menu Asparagin mentions you can add both modifiers and switches but I haven't found out what switches are maybe they're not working yet?

You're right! I just checked in FC 2.0 and there the switches work also the same way as modifiers, but in A-10 the ydon't seem to work at all.

Edited by asparagin
Spoiler

Actually it works just fine even for those with programming software. :D

Right but then progamming software just gives you that extra edge...:joystick:

• 7 months later...

it works very well.

Hi Asparagin,

What was that .txt that you include in your response above? Is that some kind of config file for the Hotas X for use in DCS A-10? I'm really hoping that maybe someone out there has a config file that they could post, so that I can kind of use it as a starter base. If I had more dough I'd spring for an X52 but that's not something that I can do right now.

If you don't have a config file for the Hotas X could you walk me through how to get the throttle to work?

Hi Asparagin,

What was that .txt that you include in your response above? Is that some kind of config file for the Hotas X for use in DCS A-10? I'm really hoping that maybe someone out there has a config file that they could post, so that I can kind of use it as a starter base. If I had more dough I'd spring for an X52 but that's not something that I can do right now.

If you don't have a config file for the Hotas X could you walk me through how to get the throttle to work?

Hi,

yes it is a config file. I added it there because someone asked me later for the profile. You can surely use it, I find it a good profile, it has 4 buttons (5,6,7,8 ) set as modifiers, so you can keep up with all the hats A-10 needs.

To load the profile, first change the file ending from .txt to .lua and load the profile from the in-game menu (you can save it where ever you like).

About the throttle: In the options menu search for: Axis/Throttle common and assign JOY_Z, and it should work.

If you still have questions, post them here and I will gladly help you.

Regards

PS: Welcome to the forums!

Edited by asparagin
  • Like 1
Spoiler

No Prob. Check your messages :)

Spoiler

Hello,

I just registered onto this forum. I recently got DCS A-10C Warthog and the Thrustmaster HOTAS X. I followed this thread and downloaded the profile that was provided. However, being new to this I'm having some difficulty and am seeking advice.

The thread states:

" To load the profile, first change the file ending from .txt to .lua and load the profile from the in-game menu (you can save it where ever you like).

About the throttle: In the options menu search for: Axis/Throttle common and assign JOY_Z, and it should work."

I am unable to find the "in-game" menu nor "Axis/Throttle common". Also, does the profile setup the throttle as a slider?

Thanks

Mister T, welcome to the forums:

The profile has already the throttle assigned right, so you don't have to do anything else.

To make any changes you want to your profile:

1. make sure your hotas is connected.

2. fire up DCS, go to: Options/controls

3. If you play DCS as a game (easy mode) or sim, choose from the drop down menu (the two modes have separate profiles)

4. From the second drop down menu to the right you can choose the category of command you want to modify (easier to find the command you search for)

- if you choose here "axis commands", all commands will appear that can have an axis assigned to them. Changing assigned keys is pretty much self-explanatory.

Regards

Spoiler

I am still unable to find the "in-game" menu so I can load the hotasxconfig1.lua you provided.

Also, the options screen shows:

keyboard, T Flight HOTAS X, and mouse. I read that the Sim had a config for the HOTAS Warthog not the HOTAS X.

Thanks

I am still unable to find the "in-game" menu so I can load the hotasxconfig1.lua you provided.

Also, the options screen shows:

keyboard, T Flight HOTAS X, and mouse. I read that the Sim had a config for the HOTAS Warthog not the HOTAS X.

Thanks

The "in game" menu you are looking for is on the Options>Controls screen. There is a button in the upper right corner that says 'LOAD PROFILE'. Click that and then select the profile and you are all set.

The screen does not show the Warthog stick because the game does not see one hooked up. If you unhook your stick and start the game it will just show the keyboard and the mouse.

BTW, welcome and enjoy!!:)

Forgot, in case you did not know...the profile should go into C:\Users\<yourusername>\Saved Games\DCS Warthog\Config\Input, for Win 7. Otherwise the dialog that opens when you click load profile will show you where it is looking anyway.

Edited by cichlidfan
forgot something

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

cichlifan,

Thank you for your response...and the welcome.

In the Options>controls screen I cannot click on the "Load Profile" tab. In fact, the only options I can click on are: Modifiers.....Axis Assign.....Make Txt. Everything appears "grayed out" to use a Windows term. This is true for A-10C SIM or A-10C Game in the leftmost window.

When I go to instant action, my throttle is controlled by the rocking btn on the the throttle.

I put the profile into C:\Users\<yourusername>\Saved Games\DCS Warthog\Config.

BTW here is my system for reference:

CPU Type DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2400 MHz (12 x 200) 4600+

Motherboard Name Asus M2N-VM DVI (2 PCI, 1 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR2 DIMM, Audio, Video, Gigabit LAN)

Motherboard Chipset nVIDIA nForce 7xxx-6xx, AMD Hammer

System Memory 4096 MB (DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM) Kingston

Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT (1024 MB)

OS Windows 7 Ultimate x64

My thanks again to you and asparagin for your patience. I'm determined to fly this airplane.

Regards

Regards

Go the directory above and delete the directory called Input then start A-10 and go to the control page and try to load the profile again.

...and look at your other post about tracks...left you message there as well.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

cichlifan,

Thank you for your response...and the welcome.

In the Options>controls screen I cannot click on the "Load Profile" tab. In fact, the only options I can click on are: Modifiers.....Axis Assign.....Make Txt. Everything appears "grayed out" to use a Windows term. This is true for A-10C SIM or A-10C Game in the leftmost window.

When I go to instant action, my throttle is controlled by the rocking btn on the the throttle.

BTW here is my system for reference:

CPU Type DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2400 MHz (12 x 200) 4600+

Motherboard Name Asus M2N-VM DVI (2 PCI, 1 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR2 DIMM, Audio, Video, Gigabit LAN)

Motherboard Chipset nVIDIA nForce 7xxx-6xx, AMD Hammer

System Memory 4096 MB (DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM) Kingston

Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT (1024 MB)

OS Windows 7 Ultimate x64

My thanks again to you and asparagin for your patience. I'm determined to fly this airplane.

Regards

Mister T,

To access the "Load Profile" or "Save Profile" buttons you must select a setting under the particular control input. For example, I have a Hotas Wartog, so in the control options screen I will see the Hotas joystick and Hotas throttle. If I wish to save the Hotas Joystick profile I click in any box under the Joystick column then click "Save Profile"....I hope that makes it a little clearer?

Edited by MustangSally
Spelling!
  • Like 1

Ryzen 9 7950X3D - MSI MAG X670E TomaHawk MB, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 AIO

64gig Corsair DDR5@6000, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 AORUS

Winwing Super Taurus, Orion2, TO / Combat panels, Collective with Topgun MIP

Winwing Skywalker pedals, NLR Boeing Mil Edition Simpit, Trackir

Doh!!:doh: What Mustang said! Forgot about that, it's been a while since I actually did it. Sorry Man.

Forgot, in case you did not know...the profile should go into C:\Users\<yourusername>\Saved Games\DCS Warthog\Config\Input, for Win 7. Otherwise the dialog that opens when you click load profile will show you where it is looking anyway.

But from there you can still manually search your drive for files.

If I wish to save the Hotas Joystick profile I click in any box under the Joystick column then click "Save Profile"....I hope that makes it a little clearer?

Yep, this is a bit confusing in the beginning. But as mustang said, clicking any entry that has a key assignment from the "HOTAS column" will make the "grayed out" options usable.

Spoiler

Thanks guys!

With your help I got the profile installed. Now I just have learn what they all are. I guess I'll start with the training option at the beginning of the sim. One of my challenges is to understand terminology like "Joy btn pov1 d+Joy btn6". I get btn means button but the pov and d lose me.

Thanks again