Full Throttle... is it really?

MasterZelgadis

Hi pilots

I have a problem right here, I discovered in the navigation Training mission, when the instructor said, I should set the throttle to around 80% fan speed to stabilize at around 300kias.

Well, when I push my throttle (Saitek X52 Pro) all the way forward, I will end up with around 82% fan speed.

Should it not be around 98% fan speed?

I didn't touch any config about the throttle, saturation (X 100; Y 100) and curvature (0) set to default.

Is there a way to configure my throttle to get the maximum of fan speed, and if yes, how can I do that?

"Sieh nur, wie majestätisch du durch die Luft segelst. Wie ein Adler. Ein fetter Adler."

http://www.space-view.net

Q: FAN RPM % does not exceed 82%. Is something wrong with my throttle?

A: No. The engine is designed to operate at optimum performance, which is 82% FAN RPM. Also note, that there is a difference between Core RPM and FAN RPM.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

DCS: A-10C Beta Flight Manual, page 122

Engine Monitoring Instruments

3. Engine Fan Speed Indicators. Indication of rpm fan speed of each engine.

 Maximum, short term fan speed is 100%

 Normal operating range is 22 to 98%

I'm an aircraft mechanic (DC-10s and MD-11s, [GE CF6-50 and -80 engines] mostly,) and although I'm not an engineer, and not familiar with TF34s or CF34s, I can say with 100% certainty that I've never, ever, not once, heard of a turbofan engine designed to run ~85% N1 with the power levers firewalled.

That being said, and in a 100% supportive manner, I'd like to see ED's references on the current max-power settings in the sim. As it stands, I cant even get to 85% N1 most of the time, as it maxes out around 82-83%, even after disabling the joystick and using the keyboard to ensure I'm getting full power-lever movement. (I was, there was no change.)

80ish percent N1 sounds like the most efficient CRUISE power setting, but not full power.

• Like 1

1.2. - Members must treat other with respect and tolerance. Material that is offensive, insulting or constitutes an attack against any individual or group will be subject to administrative actions.

There are a few people who doesn't understand what rule 1.2 is about - next time warnings will be issued.

Offending posts deleted.

Edited by Panzertard

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning

Possibly something out of a -1 :)

That being said, and in a 100% supportive manner, I'd like to see ED's references on the current max-power settings in the sim. As it stands, I cant even get to 85% N1 most of the time, as it maxes out around 82-83%, even after disabling the joystick and using the keyboard to ensure I'm getting full power-lever movement. (I was, there was no change.)

80ish percent N1 sounds like the most efficient CRUISE power setting, but not full power.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

DCS: A-10C Beta Flight Manual, page 122

Engine Monitoring Instruments

I'm an aircraft mechanic (DC-10s and MD-11s, [GE CF6-50 and -80 engines] mostly,) and although I'm not an engineer, and not familiar with TF34s or CF34s, I can say with 100% certainty that I've never, ever, not once, heard of a turbofan engine designed to run ~85% N1 with the power levers firewalled.

For what its worth I am an A/C Engineer and fully agree with you :thumbup: 96% Max cont thrust. Take off approx 97% depending on Airfield temp, Alt and engine condition etc is a good ball park figure. Therefore 85% N1, firewalled can not be correct. 85% N2 for bleed air cross starts maybe?

Edited by Rockeyes

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

HTC Vive

Windows 10 Maximus VIII Hero i7-6700k CPU @ 4.2GHz 16GB Nvida GeForce GTX 1080. Ram Duel SSD's

Throttle question: my throttle command Joy_slider1 works and by changing assignments I can move either throttle 1 or throttle 2. However my joy_slider2 doesn't work to move either throttle 1 or throttle 2. Any sugestions on how to fix this problem?

win7 64 pro, I5 overclocked to 3.2 GHZ, 160GB Solid state drive, 750 GB Drive, *GB memory, Geforce 275 Graphics card, Creative X-F1 invinity sound card

CPU AMD FX 8350 * core @ 4.3 GHZ/Font

MOBO ASUSSabertooth 990FX R2.0/Font

RAM 16 GB Corsair Vengence 1600/Font

Graphics 6970 & 6950 xfire

HD 750GB @ 7200 RPM

SSD HD Intel x-25 160GB

SSD HD 2 240 GB

Win 7 Pro

Controllers Warthog & Saitec Rudder

Track IR5 3 monitors 27" LCD and 2 10" VGA

N1 = fan speed? doubt it..

I'm not trying to get wrapped up in this, but I'm not sure what you're saying here?

N1 is the abbreviation for Fan Speed; N2 is Core Speed. This is universal across turbojet/turbofan engines.

***Yes, before somebody says it, some RR engines are actually triple spooled and have N3, but that's irrelevant.***

"They've got us surrounded again - those poor bastards!" - Lt. Col. Creighton Abrams

***Yes, before somebody says it, some RR engines are actually triple spooled and have N3, but that's irrelevant.***

RB211 'fo LYFE. :D

The Russians built the Kuznetsov NK-12, which powers the TU-95 (Among others,) and is a really, REALLY impressive triple spool turboprop. The most powerful turboprop in the world, IIRC. It made 12,000hp in 1951. The A400M engines are also tri-spool.

And there is another type of turbofan where the fan is indeed turning at a different (although directly proportional, the gearbox simply stepping down the fan speed to make a more fuel efficient airfoil on the fan blades possible) speed from either core spool; the geared turbofan.

Just found in a old Flight manual, Diagram A2-31 shows that it is possible to have a max N1 of 85% on this A/C. I stand corrected :doh:

Well done DCS :worthy:

2048908190_N1Ref.thumb.jpg.03625889e6fb5baf28b016ef84a2e789.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

HTC Vive

Windows 10 Maximus VIII Hero i7-6700k CPU @ 4.2GHz 16GB Nvida GeForce GTX 1080. Ram Duel SSD's