Mirage 2000 stick for HOTAS Cougar

Reading error on the page. Didn t some russian try to do one for russian planes and TM send them packing ?

HaF 922, Asus rampage extreme 3 gene, I7 950 with Noctua D14, MSI gtx 460 hawk, G skill 1600 8gb, 1.5 giga samsung HD.

Track IR 5, Hall sensed Cougar, Hall sensed TM RCS TM Warthog(2283), TM MFD, Saitek pro combat rudder, Cougar MFD.

The server is out temporarily.

This is a project from a team who already did sticks for WWII fighter and for the Mirage III.

Their stick doesn't need support from TM. This is a replacement for the F-16 replica. All you need is to redo the electronic connections from your Cougar PCB to the Mirage stick switches.

It looks fantastic, perhaps its because the Mirage is a less popular aircraft than say if you'd made an F18 stick? You said "All you need is to redo the electronic connections from your Cougar PCB to the Mirage stick switches" does this stick need to be hard wired? or does it just plug into the base like the existing Cougar stick and would therefore be compatible with the HOTAS Warthog too?

I'm not the creator of this Mod.

The problem with the Cougar is the PCB being inside the stick. They don't want to copy the TM PCB. Therefore, the only solution is to take the PCB form the Cougar stick and hard wire it to the existing Mirage switches.

I know it's a bit hard to think to canibalize your own Cougar, but I for one would be ready to do it.

I'd be if it were an F/A18 or Su-27 stick. Or both.

There was a guy here, John Kurr?, with the Flanker stick project but not sure what happened to that.

Edited by leafer

ED have been taking my money since 1995. :P

I'm not the creator of this Mod.

The problem with the Cougar is the PCB being inside the stick. They don't want to copy the TM PCB. Therefore, the only solution is to take the PCB form the Cougar stick and hard wire it to the existing Mirage switches.

I know it's a bit hard to think to canibalize your own Cougar, but I for one would be ready to do it.

Thats a shame, if they had made it interchangeable I could see them selling a lot more. I can't imagine many Cougar owners wanting to cannibalize their Cougars for a stick from a plane that is not as widely popular as say an F18, F15 etc.

I know that it's not as popular as the F-15 F-18 or Su, but they need only 10 buyers to make the project possible (financially). That's why I posted there.

So, if you read this and have a great interest into this stick, please vote 1 or 2 to the poll on C6.

I know that it's not as popular as the F-15 F-18 or Su, but they need only 10 buyers to make the project possible (financially). That's why I posted there.

So, if you read this and have a great interest into this stick, please vote 1 or 2 to the poll on C6.

Well I hope it works out for them, it does look like a nice stick, I mentioned popularity because I think having to actually cannibalize the stick to use it would restrict its sales even if it was an F18 stick etc. Do they have any plans to make an interchangeable option?

Well I hope it works out for them, it does look like a nice stick, I mentioned popularity because I think having to actually cannibalize the stick to use it would restrict its sales even if it was an F18 stick etc. Do they have any plans to make an interchangeable option?

I don't think they will do an interchangeable, because they don't want to copy TM's PCB.

Frankly, who would legally?

Why limit the design to only those with Cougar stick?

IMHO, they'll do other sticks. I don't know which ones.

can you explain reasons why it isn t changeable stick only, i mean TM prepared to do grip changes..maybe, they can find a better solution..joe kurr s project of su27/33 stick haven t been finished and its an intersting project, which supports only to change grips..

cheers

SCUD

TM HOTAS WH :joystick:, Saitek Pro Pedals, Track IR 4, 2xJoyWarrier, 1x KeyWarrior, i52500k @4600MHz, ASUS P8Z68-V Pro, NV 670GT, SSD+ WD BC+ WD Raptor, 32HD:pilotfly:[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

can you explain reasons why it isn t changeable stick only, i mean TM prepared to do grip changes..maybe, they can find a better solution..joe kurr s project of su27/33 stick haven t been finished and its an intersting project, which supports only to change grips..

cheers

SCUD

TM can do what they want. It's their design and their electronics. For a small independant developer, it's not the same. If they want to sell their product and not be sued, they can't violate TM's copyright.

And I imagine this the problem that made joe kurr stop his project. Maybe he could contact Tarmac Aces to find a solution with them.

Well , i find it interesting but comercially suicidal:

1rst:

1) There no mirage simulator, so not many people will get interested.

2) Destroy a stick to get another that has no simulator and actually less functions than the original ? Doesnt make sense at all, unless your a fanatic.

3) While rewiring and soldering you can do PIIIIII and loose both sticks, its a suicidal move, better strap a bomb on your body and blow some place, at least you wont have to live with a failure. Seriously, better think of another solution. Unless they are ungodly lucky it won t make a hit.

If i was them i would try:

1) try a handle of another plane a popular one, SU27/33 for example, to spool up business.

2) Thrustmaster has just released the Warthog, why not ask them a Clearance to allow the use Cougar original PCB. It could help them empty the cougar stock, which has already lost almost all his value.

3) Another point is that NOBODY that make money creating and selling MODS for the cougar was sued, and i ll bet my cougar they did not ask permission either.

TM probably doesnt care since you dont break a patent, any iniciative that can help them sell theyr product i suppose they will do the See nothing hear nothing say nothing ritual about it.

4) Su 27/33 has dual trhottle, could even help Warthog sells giving a plus over the competition that can t switch handles, if compatible with warthog of course.

Just my 2 centimes

Edited by Succellus

HaF 922, Asus rampage extreme 3 gene, I7 950 with Noctua D14, MSI gtx 460 hawk, G skill 1600 8gb, 1.5 giga samsung HD.

Track IR 5, Hall sensed Cougar, Hall sensed TM RCS TM Warthog(2283), TM MFD, Saitek pro combat rudder, Cougar MFD.

3) Another point is that NOBODY that make money creating and selling MODS for the cougar was sued, and i ll bet my cougar they did not ask permission either.

TM probably doesnt care since you dont break a patent, any iniciative that can help them sell theyr product i suppose they will do the See nothing hear nothing say nothing ritual about it.

Doing a MOD is something. Copying the PCB is another thing. The other Cougar MODs don't have to copy a part of the HOTAS to work. That the great difference IMHO.

Doing a MOD is something. Copying the PCB is another thing. The other Cougar MODs don't have to copy a part of the HOTAS to work. That the great difference IMHO.

So dont do a PCB, just make it so the handle can fit on the cougar. You won t be breaking anything and won t be copying anything. I don t remember a PCB in the handle, but it has been a long time since i changed the POV hat of my cougar.

I see... then its a thigh situation. I would go for TM permission it cost nothing but time.

Sometime simply asking solves a lot of probs.

They may not be able to let you do an exact copy, but maybe a tech can give you a hint of how to reach the same effect.

Sonce your building a new handle a new design of the PCB could avoid legal problem ? Just kicking ideas.

I think the best bet comercially speaking IS a full replacement.

I, personaly would not risk the brain transplant, whatever the stick it would replicate, the risk of seeing both patient die is too high. And i know a bit how to do soldering, imagine all those who don t.

Edited by Succellus

Here are more detailed information on you'll have to do if you buy the stick :

Tarmac Aces will make a nearly empty pilot grip .

The switches , metal trigger , security lock , and all the things wich have to be assembled with axis and springs will be pre-assembled .

You will have to take a Cougar grip , open it , remove carefully all the hats and the electronic card without unsolder them , to have all the wires and switches and hats in hand .

Then , you'll have to unsolder the switches (and only the switches ! ) , assemble all the wiring and hats of the Cougar into the Mirage 2000 pilot grip , solder the Mirage 2000 pilot grip switches to the free wires .

Then , you'll have to remove the big fastening ring of the Cougar , and assemble it in the bottom of the Mirage 2000 pilot grip .

You'll then have to replace the F16 hat heads by the Mirage 2000 hat heads yourself . The hat heads will be with your pilot grip , of courseThat's all ! You'll have a Cougar electronic in a Mirage 2000 pilot grip

What do you think of that ?