F-15 - fuel flow

Kula66

When an F-15 is at full MIL power, the fuel flow rate is at @82 lbs per whatever on the dial, when on full AB only 100 - not a great increase. I was unde the impression that a/c guzzled fuel at a huge rate on AB compare to MIL .... is this a bug? Is it fixed in 1.1???

Thanks, James

It's in pounds per minute.

The fuel consumption at AB is probably over what the gauge is capable of displaying. We're talking about 1000lbs/10nm, as opposed to about 1000lbs/100nm.

Now, if you want hourly consumption, multiply the ppm by 60.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

So what you are saying is that the dial only shows 15% of its value range, ie, only up to 100 when the flow value can go up to 1000ish? Sorry, I don't buy it! You would never be able to calculate endurance etc without real figures ...

James

So what you are saying is that the dial only shows 15% of its value range, ie, only up to 100 when the flow value can go up to 1000ish? Sorry, I don't buy it! You would never be able to calculate endurance etc without real figures ...

James

Seems it measures only the fuel flow that goes in the combustion chamber - the AB flow is not measured, as it is transfered by another pump.

Octav

The difference is about 18! ie, it goes from 82ish to 100 ... I was extecting the value to go up b 5x or 10x ...

James

PS> Pictures I've found show the values the same as in LO ... so either GGT is correct (but then the guage doesn't seem useful) or the value for MIL is WAY to high!

• 4 months later...

Check your instruments pilots. There are several that can be maxed out while the Jet exeeds the guages limits.

Fuel Flow

Vertical Velocity

Accelerometer (G-Meter)

Speed Indicators

Have I missed any?

:cool:

When all else fails, Eject then read the manual.

Oh, and a good wingman helps.

Seems it measures only the fuel flow that goes in the combustion chamber - the AB flow is not measured, as it is transfered by another pump.

Octav

Fuel flow is read by the "Fuel Flow Transmitter" which all fuel flows through, it should read it.

Real Life or Game, once the needles pegged....

Ever peg your speedometer? LOL

can anyone confirm how realistic the fuel flow gauge for the F15 in lock-on is?

i find it very hard to believe that the gauge would be unable to register the fuel flow when in afterburner (as tracker said, it gets pegged.)

also on the subject of fuel and gauges. it seems there are quite a few more functions to teh fuel gauges on the F15 by use of the slector knob just below them (not sure of the three settings off the top of my head) but it seems we only get one which it is stuck on by default.

cobra_sig01.jpg

According to the following unclassified document Fuel Flow in the F15 at just under Mach .9 (.88) the WF lb/hr is just under 3300. This is not including WFAB and the test is at 45,000'. Considering the conservative figures, a fuel flow gauge that pegs at 100 lb/hr simply won't work for the Pratt & Whitney F100 class engines.

http://www.dfrc.nasa.gov/DTRS/1993/PDF/H-1920.pdf

Hope this helps answer your question;)

:cool:

When all else fails, Eject then read the manual.

Oh, and a good wingman helps.

• 10 months later...

Thought i'd reply to this, since a similar topic is going on for the russian jets.

I you consider how a pilot flies, its probably less important to him exactly how much he's burining in AB, but more important that it is factors greater than normal operation. Therefore unless necessary, it is avoided, or at least minimised during operations (takeoff, defensive maneuevers etc). An indication of the AB mode, in the jet is probably adequate to fulfill these requirements (along with sensory cues which i presume are present). What is important is exactly how much he's burning during 'normal', up to military power, and an accurate measurement of how far he's going to be able to go under a given set of circumstances (power setting, altitude, air temperature, pressure etc).

So if a gauge went through the full range to cover the vast qualtity of consumption at AB, there would probably be significant inaccuracy in the range of fuel burn where the pilot remains for the most part, and which he uses to get home.

A second gauge would be the only practical answer (given the technology available at the design time), but would be in my opinion over kill. Maybe someone with RL experience of AB, would comment.

Fish's Flight Sim Videos

[sIGPIC]I13700k, RTX4090, 64gb ram @ 3600, superUltraWide 5120x1440, 2560x1440, 1920x1080, Warthog, Tusba TQS, Reverb VR1000, Pico 4, Wifi6 router, 360/36 internet[/sIGPIC]

Adding to what Fish said: Presumably most military pilots would have a fairly good idea of the fuel flow their A/C has at full & half AB anyway (close to the capacity of the pumps?) & they can see how fast they’re going so they can work kg/km => range with AB on, & they probably have a fair idea of the kind of range they can expect under given conditions from a given weight of fuel when they turn it off.

If you have the afterburner on when you don't have to it’s easy to work out you fuel flow - your fuel flow is TOO HIGH.

If you only have it on when you have to then the question becomes have I got enough fuel left to do what I have to when I turn it off - which you already know 'cause you know off by heart roughly how far you can get best case on the remaining fuel showing on your gauge. Then when you turn it off you want an accurate gauge to shepherd fuel – not one that has the needle stuck in the bottom 20% of the gauge during normal operations.

Cheers.

Being that Merlin is the man when it comes to fuel issues I will try to elaborate what he was trying to say. The fuel flow transmitter that measure's flow is attached to the engine and of course measure's all the fuel going to the combustion can and burnt. When you go to AB you are just dumping fuel on the outer ring so to speak of the actual engine in little vents and it of course doesnt get read by the transmitter so you wont see it on your gauge. Any pilot knows that if he is in burner he needs to eyeball his fuel quantity gauge. Fuel flow gauge is great for ensuring your engine is working well and calculating fuel consumption for long distance legs.

Thats the basic terms that I have always been aware of....Merlin, please correct me if I am wrong.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's in pounds per minute.

The fuel consumption at AB is probably over what the gauge is capable of displaying. We're talking about 1000lbs/10nm, as opposed to about 1000lbs/100nm.

Now, if you want hourly consumption, multiply the ppm by 60.

The gauge, which is correct in the LOMAC F-15 cockpit displays fuel flow in pounds per Hour x 1000. The gauge is more than adequate to display fuel flow at afterburner. It would be quite illogical for it not to display fuel flow - even at afterburner. The fuel going to the engine is monitored after the engine fuel radiator and the fuel shutoff valve, but just before the boost pump, so it's going to read TOTAL fuel going to the main engine fuel control and the afterburner fuel control.

IIRC, 5th stage AB fuel flow at 25,000ft was somewhere between 60-72000PPH. But I think that was for the PW-100. Lotsa gas huh? ;)