Couger MFD - LCD Screen Options

DTWD

Hello all,

I have read a few posts regarding the screens to put behind the Couger MFDs, but no thread dedicated to it. I am thinking of getting some but adding screens would severly add to the geek factor. So I was wondering if anyone had them and what they were using?

I notice a few posts mention the Samsung Syncmaster u70, but I was wondering, does it fit (as in there is no screen behind the MFDs) or are there better solutions?

The reason for the dedicated post is that with A10 just around the corner I am thinking more people may look at this and a dedicated spot to go to may be helpfull...it's also helpfull to me :D

Regards

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have this saved from another post. I dont remeber where but I heard it fits very well. Also its not a touch screen. But they sell ones that are. Also they are on sale this weekend.

http://www.mimomonitors.com/products/iMo

I dont think you are going to find a screen out there that wont have any overlap. I know you can confiure them to display a smaller view than the full screen. Allowing you to tape off the rest of the screen or hide it behind your paneling.

I have way too many questions on how to get it to display using an USB plug. The configuration ect ect. This is a subject I would love too see more information on. Im a long way from puting lcds in my MFDs. But its not out of the question down the road.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hello all,

I have read a few posts regarding the screens to put behind the Couger MFDs, but no thread dedicated to it. I am thinking of getting some but adding screens would severly add to the geek factor. So I was wondering if anyone had them and what they were using?

I notice a few posts mention the Samsung Syncmaster u70, but I was wondering, does it fit (as in there is no screen behind the MFDs) or are there better solutions?

The reason for the dedicated post is that with A10 just around the corner I am thinking more people may look at this and a dedicated spot to go to may be helpfull...it's also helpfull to me :D

I have a pair of 8" 4x3 LCD panels which I put behind the MFDs. These completely fill the MFD but they are larger horizontally than the MFD which needs to be hidden behind panelling. There are a few e-bay stores which sell small LCD panels and VGA driver boards for them.

You can also use a normal larger format monitor and cut out a wood bezel to overlay it to mount the MFDs on. And use the surrounding screen real-estate to display glass gauges with something like LOVP, BSVP or Lightnings falcon gauges.

The u70s leave about a half inch of vertical space inside the MFD. It's not to bad but care has to be taken to center the mounting of the u70 vertically inside the MFD. Also the USB screens may be problematic depending on how DCS A-10C renders the image for an MFD, and I've head of possible performance problems. Not saying they won't work, but might want to be cautious on the investment. There is a big difference between the what leavu renders on the MFDs in the video above and a fully texture mapped 3d terrain display which may be required for some of the MFD modes in A10C.

Hello all,

Here is my setup with u70's. They do fit, but just barely. Also the bezels are quite thick and keeps the screen a bit too far back from the MFD for my taste, but I'm too scared to pull off the bezels as the on/off switch is in the bezel. If I could get the bezels off without wrecking them, they would be really good.

IMG_1918.jpg

IMG_1919.jpg

IC. looks like i have to figure how to plug it in with it.

I have those MFD cougar and still unsure which right LCD to put behind it. I didnt like the 7" LCD screen which will cut off horizonally on MFD. I want a Full display in full area of MFD cougar. Rough choice :P

Maximus, The only real Maximus in DCS World. :music_whistling:

I am not associated to viper 33 | Maximus. he is the imposter.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

You can also use a normal larger format monitor and cut out a wood bezel to overlay it to mount the MFDs on. And use the surrounding screen real-estate to display glass gauges with something like LOVP, BSVP or Lightnings falcon gauges.

I am quite liking that idea, it's a bit more re-usable for something none flightsimmy.

Hmmm

I would like them seperated out so that requires a monitor around the 24"+ size.

Regards

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hello all,

Hi and welcome to my world of pain! Please read about my expericenes with them here....

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=55254

Good Luck! And if you get any joy please keep us updated.:thumbup:

Techlabs Chameleon Watercooled Gaming PC - Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.7GHz : Samsung 950 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 500 gig SSD, Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Drive : MSI GeForce GTX 1080 "Founders Edition" 8192MB : 800W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply : 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz : Occulus Rift S : TM Warthog : MFG Crosswind V2 : Win 10 64. PointCTRL.

You can see an example of this technique on the pit we (SCSimulations) made for Thrustmaster. That is a 22" screen in the front panel.

Wowser!

That -

1z4wxhv.jpg

Is pretty much EXACTLY what I was thinking about after someone mentioned using a monitor. That is trully amazing.

So my questions are:

1) You can't out put anything like that at the moment from DCS, so by "in house" how did you get MFD output and dials? Or is it re-computed output data (I have forgot the name of the damn data export format!)?

2) Will this software be released?

3) Will it cost?

4) Will it be moddable to work in other DCS titles?

Regards

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

BTW guys,

Gadroc has done an amazing Job with the software and we will be releasing a front console for the a-10 very soon. It will be cnc'd in a kit form with an option of being built and painted. IT will be a mixture of birch and aluminum. It will be designed based off the Acer 23 touch screen lcd (the software will work based on touch as well).

Flim,

What comes in the pack?

I am just thinking should I be going out and getting the MFDs now or do they come in it etc?

Also any idea on price?

What sort of form will the finished kit be? For instance, is it just a mask for the monitor with parts to attatch the MFDs too or is it a full on front end of the A10 pit?

The reason I ask all this is that I need to know if it's something that will be suitable and affordable by me, or do I need to look at alternatives.

If it isn't suitable, will the software be available seperatly?

Regards

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Flim,

What comes in the pack?

good question!)

but to be honest the panel looks great with the mfds and dials..

what price will you make for it

cheers

Scud

TM HOTAS WH :joystick:, Saitek Pro Pedals, Track IR 4, 2xJoyWarrier, 1x KeyWarrior, i52500k @4600MHz, ASUS P8Z68-V Pro, NV 670GT, SSD+ WD BC+ WD Raptor, 32HD:pilotfly:[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Flim,

What comes in the pack?

I am just thinking should I be going out and getting the MFDs now or do they come in it etc?

Also any idea on price?

What sort of form will the finished kit be? For instance, is it just a mask for the monitor with parts to attatch the MFDs too or is it a full on front end of the A10 pit?

The reason I ask all this is that I need to know if it's something that will be suitable and affordable by me, or do I need to look at alternatives.

It will be a stand-alone center console and instrument panel. We will be doing a Modular Cockpit which consist of the Seat, seat mount, Rudder Floor, Center Instrument Console, and lastly Side consoles. Each section can be bought separately over time. We are trying our best to make this affordable and is why we are building parts in a Modular concept. This hobby is comparable to Rc airplanes ( cost) , any full cockpit that works will have a few thousand invested plus electronics.

Later addons will be Laser Panels and switches for the side consoles, or the option to add touchscreen panels.

We will sale the thrustmaster products on our site here shortly, such as the mfd's and Warthog Hotas

So, for the front A-10 console you will need a 23 inch Acer touch screen( $300 est), mfd's( $50), and then of course the structure. The structure will come kit or built/painted. The kit form will be the less expensive option and will be around $400.

The software will be sold separately when it is finished.

Currently I'm finishing the F-16 atm and will give you all a good idea on what we can do!

BTW guys,

Gadroc has done an amazing Job with the software and we will be releasing a front console for the a-10 very soon. It will be cnc'd in a kit form with an option of being built and painted. IT will be a mixture of birch and aluminum. It will be designed based off the Acer 23 touch screen lcd (the software will work based on touch as well).

Drool

Subscribe

This sounds like an excellent way for me to get the pit I need without having to spend any time on it. I built my current pit when I had no kids. Now I desperately want to rebuild for an A10 pit but have ZERO time cuz of the kiddo. This sounds like just the thing!! Can't wait!

One question: Let's say I go the full monty on the dash panel with the monitor and mfd's, etc...Is it possible to set up Lock On to display just a forward view with no cockpit? Or with no cockpit but still show the canopy? (the latter would be ideal) Just wondering how this physical pit can be made to coexist with the on-screen presentation of the cockpit, so the pit and display work together rather than providing lots of redundancy in controls/displays.

Edited by Smoky

One question: Let's say I go the full monty on the dash panel with the monitor and mfd's, etc...Is it possible to set up Lock On to display just a forward view with no cockpit? Or with no cockpit but still show the canopy? (the latter would be ideal) Just wondering how this physical pit can be made to coexist with the on-screen presentation of the cockpit, so the pit and display work together rather than providing lots of redundancy in controls/displays.

You do have the Left ALT-F1 view which is HUD only. Unfortunately there is no way to fully replicate lock on MFD displays so it will be of limited use. Now on DCS we can have fully functional MFD which should let fly HUD only view completely.

Thanks Gadroc. I will only be using this for DCS A10 anyway.

So in DCS I can set it to provide a forward view only?

You hit on a good point...porting the HUD to a physical HUD device would be tastey. It seems like I saw a HUD for simming somewhere but I can't find it now and I can't remember how it worked. But that would be great too. Then all we would need is to open up the forward view. I'm using a projector so the more depth/integration I can achieve between physical hardware and external view the better to take advantage of the big screen.

Google for YN8088AV 8" VGA AV TFT LCD Monitor 2 in 1, I got mine from Hong Kong from website www.alibaba.com

Do the 8" screens fill the cougar MFD's perfectly?

AMD Phenom II 965 BE @ 3.8GHz, 8GB OCZ AMD BE RAM, ATI HD5970 2GB XFX BE @ 875/1215, TM HOTAS Cougar, TM Cougar MFDs, TrackIR 5, CH MFP, GoFlight Switch Panel, iMo Mini-Monster Touch, Mimo 720S, Saitek Pro Flight Headset