DCS A-10C Warthog Producer Note 2 Available

Wags

• ED Team

DCS A-10C Producer Note 2 Available

The second producer note for DCS A-10C Warthog is now streaming on Youtube at:

It may take awhile for the video to be processed to HD.

Please note that this note is based on Alpha code and far from complete. We feel it better to release such videos now based on pre-release code than wait until the game is about done.

Video was recorded at 30 FPS at 1280x720 using internal AVI tool. No post-processing was used. Sorry, mouse cursor could not be recorded.

High Dynamic Range (HDR) can be enabled/disabled by users.

While the start up procedure is works for me, I'm sure users will find a flow that works better for them.

This note takes place at a work-in-progress version of the new Nevada (Nellis AFB) terrain. We wanted to give you a little preview of this new terrain even though it is incomplete. No noise map yet and some issues with close range shadows.

• Like 1

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, already! Fantastic, thanks Wags.

[url=http://www.aef-hq.com.au/aef4/forumdisplay.php?262-Digital-Combat-Simulator][SIGPIC]http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/2500/a10161sqnsignitureedite.png[/SIGPIC][/url]

Hopefully this will cut down the time it will take for me to learn the start up :P Nice work.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

EtherealN: I will promptly perform a sex change and offer my hand in marriage to whomever

Great producers note thanks Wag, things seem to be coming along fine!

Spoiler:

MSI Z790 Carbon WIFI, i9 14900KF, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 4090, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate MCG Pro w/200mm Extension, Winwing Orion Rudder Pedals W/damper, UTC MK II Pro, Virpil TCS Plus Collective, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, 970 Pro M2 1TB (for DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Vaicom Pro, 3X TM Cougar with Lilliput 8" screens. Tek Creations panels and controllers.

Thanks Wags and team. We appreciate the pre-release information you are giving. Even if it later turns out the actual product may have to have features re-scheduled for later in the DCS series it is still nice to know the direction Warthog is heading (eg. knowing mission generation is coming means the community doesn't have to re-invent the wheel).

Have a good trip.

I just jizzed O_o

PMSL. That's my coffee all over the keyboard, fortunately I'm at work so it's not my keyboard.

Wasn't expecting this for a while yet so a nice mid week suprise, just have to survive the remaining hour of my shift so I can go and watch it.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

I'll be honest with you, I didn't really like it. It wasn't really a "how-to" video as it was a "I'll go through the paces and you watch" video. It needed more explanation and it needed a visible pointer. It left me with a number of questions, such as

Where are all of these switches he's talking about?

What indicated that it is okay to start the second engine? Can I start both at the same time?

What indicated that I could turn off the APU? Can I turn it off right after the engine has begun spinning up, or do they have to be spinning at full for some time?

What is all of that business on the right MFD? What the hell is that doing?

Where are all of these switches that he's talking about?

Are these steps being done in an important, specific order, or can I just start the engines and start turning shit on?

What did the HUD say after you were done with the BIT test? There was like a paragraph of information there.

What does a BIT test, you know, test?

How do I tell if the INU is aligned? Does it just magically align like in DCS:BS, or is it modeled?

The pointer is absolutely necessary. Sometimes it was obvious which button you were pressing, but far too often I was scanning the screen for moving switches, and I would be focusing on one side of the screen when the switch you were talking about was on the other side and I would miss it. Sometimes the tooltip would pop up, which was useful, but wasn't always completely sure that was the relevant switch (your mouse landed on a different switch). Example: when you did the light test, I swear you were looking at the left side of the cockpit when it started, and when it turned off you were looking at the right side. Was there a delay in starting the test and during the delay you looked to the left, or did it turn off automatically, and the switch was on the left?

I'm done hatin' now.

• Like 2

The APU provides the engine with the necessary air pressure to turn the engine starter unit, the apu can be turned off after the engines are started. Unless the starters are start/generators but I dont think so. You turn the air off too soon it will not work correctly and damage could happen to the engine.

There are 2 categories of fighter pilots: those who have performed, and those who someday will perform, a magnificent defensive break turn toward a bug on the canopy. Robert Shaw

!

Wow, very impressive. Great job on note #2 - Looking forward to the next installment. :)

Nevada does look great, indeed. :) Not to mention everything else!

Great attention to detail (adjustable seat height).:pilotfly: It'd be hilarious to see the pit builders link that in via lua somehow... :P

-Mack

whats the next one, whats the next one, whats the next one, whats the next one?!?! sorry excited. :music_whistling:

can any one else imagine them selves siting there for five minutes, playing with the seat hight? :lol:

I feature that would go well with the ajustable seat would be being able to set your pilot hight in profile, and need to adjust accordingly.

Great attention to detail (adjustable seat height).:pilotfly: It'd be hilarious to see the pit builders link that in via lua somehow... :P

-Mack

I'm working on ideas already!:D

Great job Wags!

I only respond to that little mechanical voice that says "Terrain! Terrain! Pull Up! Pull Up!"

Who can say what is impossible, for the dream of yesterday is the hope of today and the reality of tomorrow.

-Robert Goddard

"A hybrid. A car for enthusiasts of armpit hair and brown rice." -Jeremy Clarkson

"I swear by my pretty floral bonet, I will end you." -Mal from Firefly

Would love to have a look at the gui and multiplayer features.

This is a shot from an article at SimHQ. Hopefully this is what you're looking for in terms of a general GUI. If not, at least I can say I tried. ;)

all_101c_010.jpg

By the way, video looks great. At certain points I felt I did sort of agree with Waldo but most of the time I felt like I could figure out what was going on. I could just do like I did in the Black Shark and think about it, experiment and finally recognize the most efficient start up. Nonetheless cool to see Nevada terrain and how to start up the new Hog.

Q6600 @ 2.4 GHz, Sapphire 5870, TM Warthog, 4 GB RAM, Windows 7

I'll be honest with you, I didn't really like it. It wasn't really a "how-to" video as it was a "I'll go through the paces and you watch" video. It needed more explanation and it needed a visible pointer. It left me with a number of questions, such as

Where are all of these switches he's talking about?

What indicated that it is okay to start the second engine? Can I start both at the same time?

What indicated that I could turn off the APU? Can I turn it off right after the engine has begun spinning up, or do they have to be spinning at full for some time?

What is all of that business on the right MFD? What the hell is that doing?

Where are all of these switches that he's talking about?

Are these steps being done in an important, specific order, or can I just start the engines and start turning shit on?

What did the HUD say after you were done with the BIT test? There was like a paragraph of information there.

What does a BIT test, you know, test?

How do I tell if the INU is aligned? Does it just magically align like in DCS:BS, or is it modeled?

The pointer is absolutely necessary. Sometimes it was obvious which button you were pressing, but far too often I was scanning the screen for moving switches, and I would be focusing on one side of the screen when the switch you were talking about was on the other side and I would miss it. Sometimes the tooltip would pop up, which was useful, but wasn't always completely sure that was the relevant switch (your mouse landed on a different switch). Example: when you did the light test, I swear you were looking at the left side of the cockpit when it started, and when it turned off you were looking at the right side. Was there a delay in starting the test and during the delay you looked to the left, or did it turn off automatically, and the switch was on the left?

I'm done hatin' now.

All that and more will most likely be explained in the manual/interactive training in game. They're all very good questions, but that's where the "ground school" element comes into play. This as with black shark is a general overview and you're not expected to pass a test or gain all the knowledge required for a startup procedure. The same video would probably be over an hour ;). Youtube has a 10 minute policy and there are a LOT of systems that have yet to be covered such as navigation, weapons deployment etc.

:smartass:

EDIT: Looks like some bubble pointers with switches Matt is referring to are now marked on youtube. The first time I watched these weren't there. That might help with seeing what's being pushed.

Edited by element1108

I just noticed the YouTube annotations too. They do help a lot, even though cosmetically they aren't the nicest looking, it serves very well as a compromise considering the effort it would take to reproduce the video with the cursor visible to the recording software.

If the cursor can't be made visible to the recording software in time for the scheduled release of the next note, I would suggest using whatever editing software to add in pointers, even if they only appear for a second or two. It doesn't even have to be fancy, like a small box. Something that looks nicer than the annotations. I can imagine that the notes are pretty low priority for the DCS team (finishing the sim being first), but considering that they are a major point in advertising for the game, a little more pickiness and work goes a long way. Whenever I was asked about DCS:BS, I (and many others I have seen) always refereed to the notes to demonstrate the scope of the sim.