How to Increase LOD distance for ground units

jib

For me the LOD settings for the Ground units is to harsh and they look like boxes when you should still be able to Identify the vehicle type.attachment.php?attachmentid=38970&stc=1&d=1273605796

I have set my LOD multiplier to 10 but it has no effect, setting building and trees to 10km works fine.

Medium
   {
       near_clip = 0.2;
       middle_clip = 5;
       far_clip = 140000;

structures = {40, 10000};
       trees = {1000, 10000};
       dynamic = {300, 20000};
       objects = {3000, 80000};
       mirage = {3000, 20000};
       surface = {14000, 80000};
       lights = {100, 30000};

lodMult = 10;
       lodAdd = 0;
}

I have also had a look at modifying the .Skins file where some LOD details are kept.

but this is fro the t-72.skins file in bazer/world/shapes

models
{
   lod = {"T-72", 1000000};

}

But it only shows one level of detail???

where and what setting do I need to change to Increase the vehicle LOD distance?

Thank you. jib.

466560939_T-72block.jpg.72e50e6ff120ee797942a733b102995e.jpg

Mods I use: KA-50 JTAC - Better Fire and Smoke - Unchain Rudder from trim KA50 - Sim FFB for G940 - Beczl Rocket Pods Updated!

Processor: Intel Q6600 @ 3.00GHz

GPU: GeForce MSI RTX 2060 6GB

RAM: Crucial 8GB DDR2

HDD: 1TBGB Crucial SSD

Peripherals: Logitech G940 Hotas, TrackiR 5, Voice Activated commands , Sharkoon 5.1 headset. ,Touch Control for iPad, JoyToKey

Have you tried looking for it in the ModelLOD.txt?

[sigpic]http://www.virtualthunderbirds.com/Signatures/sig_LD.jpg[/sigpic]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Corsair 750D Case | Corsair RM850i PSU | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X CODE | 32GB Corsair DDR4 3200 |

Intel i7-8086K | Corsair Hydro H100i v2 Cooler | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW | Oculus Rift |

X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty | Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1TB NVMe | Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB | WD Caviar Black 2 x 1TB |

TM HOTAS Warthog | TM Pendular Rudder | TM MFD Cougar Pack | 40" LG 1080p LED | Win10 |

I have just tried putting up the values in ModelLOD.txt

// T-80UD
model
{
 name = "T-80UD";
 lod = {"T-80UD", 9000};
 lod = {"LD_Tec", 9000000};
}

I have increased the 9 fold.

But still no difference in the LODs, I am beginning to think it might be hard coded?

Most vehicles seem to turn to boxes between 0.4 and 0.8 miles depending on the FOV. which seems really close for such blocky LOD models.

Mods I use: KA-50 JTAC - Better Fire and Smoke - Unchain Rudder from trim KA50 - Sim FFB for G940 - Beczl Rocket Pods Updated!

Processor: Intel Q6600 @ 3.00GHz

GPU: GeForce MSI RTX 2060 6GB

RAM: Crucial 8GB DDR2

HDD: 1TBGB Crucial SSD

Peripherals: Logitech G940 Hotas, TrackiR 5, Voice Activated commands , Sharkoon 5.1 headset. ,Touch Control for iPad, JoyToKey

• 2 weeks later...

maybe the better video cards everything regarding objects is better...?

I mean they usually are, but how much better is the question..

I wish I could put my old crappy computer next to a very good one to see how much better I could see objects..

:music_whistling:

ASUS Strix Z790-H, i9-13900, WartHog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind

G.Skill 64 GB Ram, 2TB SSD

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

55" Sony OLED TV, Oculus VR

maybe the better video cards everything regarding objects is better...?

I mean they usually are, but how much better is the question..

I wish I could put my old crappy computer next to a very good one to see how much better I could see objects..

:music_whistling:

No it won't be any better. What we're referring to is the way an object (tank/shilka etc) appears as a square box when zoomed out in the new version of FC. It doesn't show a turret or any level of detail until you zoom in.

So if you upgrade to a high res monitor or go multimonitor and don't need to zoom, you won't be able to identify the target until right on top of it.

A bit of a shame it's hard coded, because for single player it would be nice to get rid of as much "popup" graphics and details as possible so the immersion is better.

The worst part is that it's related to the FOV, so with a large monitor or multimonitor you are always at a wide FOV, so you will always be at a disadvantage to identify ground targets.

Pimax Crystal VR & Simpit User | Ryzen CPU & Nvidia RTX GPU | Some of my mods

Try increasing the visibility setting to "High" in the options... This should increase your LodMult setting to 1.5, which should make objects transition to high detail better...

Apart from that, there isnt much you can do as you WILL fail integrity check as almost all servers now control ModeLOD file to prevent cheaters from altering their visuals...

Breakshot_Sig_2.jpg

Tim "Breakshot" Mytrofanov | C.O. of 51 ПВО / 100 КИАП Regiments | twitch.tv/51breakshot

It will change fov if I go to 2560x1600 wide, I will zoom out on startup to make use of all those pixels. I don't want 30" of just HUD :)

Everything on high already.

You are saying modellod is the file to update to fix it for single player? Above poster tried that...

FoV is fixed... resolution or size of the monitor does not change it. The only thing that does change it alittle is 4:3 monitors compared to Wide Screen monitors... wide screen loose a bit in the vertical.

FoV is angle your vision makes in game and it's fixed and can be set in Server.lua file (by default it's 60° and it can vay from 20° to 120° or 140° in some aircraft) and you can change it manually... but different monitor does not change this.

No longer active in DCS...

I thought it changed when you zoom in out, that's what I'm saying large resolution large or multiple monitor of course I will zoom out more as my preferred view. This IS a wider FOV it is not fixed. The only

thing fixed is the initial fov when you start but as soon as you zoom in/out this changes.

yes but the how much you can zoom out is fixed... that has nothing to do with how big the monitor is or what you resolution is at... but anyway I see what you're getting at now... basically you're saying you are able to fly at wider FoV because the large size and resolution enables you to read instruments etc further zoomed out.

Edited by Kuky

No longer active in DCS...