RECORD AVI - a Mission Editor tool

Bucic

NOTE: Please judge only by the in-cockpit part of the footage!

What it can do for you - a bright example

- celeron 2 GHz with GF7300 cheap card

- in-game settings: maxed out

- output video resolution: 1920x1080, 100 FPS, 100% quality

Outcome: 1920x1080, 100 FPS perfectly smooth video in perfect quality. There :)

The official GUI manual describes it on pages 57-58 and mentions that

Because the AVI tools render the Track file frame by frame and NOT in real-time,

you can create an AVI with higher or lower frame rates than when the track was

originally recorded.

Apparently this is not enough to change the situation that probably most of DCS / FC2 / Lock On users don't realize of the biggest advantage of this tool. Which finally is:

The RECORD AVI tool allows to convert a track file into extreme quality and frame-rate AVI * (video file) using just a slow PC.

What it means is the tool will take its time and render frame by frame in chosen quality e.g. it will take 15 seconds to render a 5 second video. Yet the output will be of exactly the parameters you set in the tool (for example a crisp clear 1280x1024, 30 FPS video).

How to get there?

Open the Mission Editor and choose Flight -> Record AVI

Selecting a track is done in the tool so you can start the ME with no mission loaded.

NOTE: This sshot comes from 1.0.1. In 1.0.2 the selection of codecs is limited to just two possibilities.

th_record_avi_missioneditortool.jpg

List of abbreviations / expl.

RAT - Record AVI tool

Ogg - Ogg container format containing Theora + Vorbis

A note to posters.

Please keep this topic on the subject. Please don't jump in just to write "I use Xfire!". I wouldn't even like to see any FRAPS talk here as it is a real time recording tool and resources hungry and Xfire is even more of a resource hungry application. The Record AVI tool is a different class of recording. Thank you :)

Why a separate topic?

I know there are few topics on the subject of recording vids from Black Shark / FC2. The reason why I start a separate topic is fairly simple - while going through the other topics on recording found using the Forum Search I haven't seen a single mention or a proper highlight of the biggest advantage of this neat feature.

Notes:

1. * [edit: no longer available for 1.0.2+] - you can select virtually any codec installed on your system. That includes possibilities such as non-compressed output, Fraps codec (if you have installed at least FRAPS demo) or even lossless video compression like huffYUV which allows further editing in the video editor and codec of your choice

2. The Record AVI tool can record your desktop too and maybe even other games via Alt+Tab
    I haven't tested it yet but the tool did record my browser when I alt+tabbed out from recording in DCS. It also recorded sound from my mic which means it records from whatever sound source is configured in W7/Vista. This on the other hand means you can set the sound source as "what you hear" in Windows Control Panel and record... everything you hear, obviously.
    Edit: It will record everything at its own, variable pace so it's not suitable for recording anything but FC2/DCS tracks. It's not meant to neither.

th_outputavi_snapshot.jpg

This particular screenshot shows another case - where I couldn't alt+tab out for some reason but the tool still caught some desktop elements as an overlay. It is just how I saw it. It's not a random glitch of desktop elements showing up in some video frames.

3. .
    Q: Is it somehow possible to change the folder the recorded video will be saved in?
    A: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=66322

Q:Will the video be rendered whit the settings i used to record the track or the settings i have when converting the track to video?
    A:Track files don't include infromation on neither graphics driver settings (antialiasing, aniso etc.) nor on in-game details settings. The rendering done by the Record AVI tool will be based upon current graphics driver settings and current in-game details settings. Current = at the moment of the rendering/recording process. An important advantage.

Edited by Bucic

• 4 months later...

Hi Bucic,

So do you still use this method in 1.0.2?

If you do, have you had to make any changes to the options you pick (to re-force the use of certain codecs, or to settle with the provided ones)?

[ i7 2600k 4.6GHz :: 16GB Mushkin Blackline LV :: EVGA GTX 1080ti 11GB ]

[ TM Warthog / Saitek Rudder :: Oculus Rift :: Obutto cockpit :: Acer HN274H 27" 120Hz :: 3D Vision Ready ]

How is it working in the editor? You'r making a track of the beginning of your mission (intro), the tool will convert it to avi and add it to the missionfile?

How is it working in the game? You'r starting the singleplayer, choose the mission and the video will be shown before you get into the cockpit?

How is it working in multiplayer? You'r joining the server, the mission is running since 2 hours and you see the video of the mission start? Are you able to skip it?

Are you sure? I thought I read something like that in the ChangeLog of the 1.0.1 Patch.

In my point of view you are able to show a little "intro" at the start of a mission... but I'm not sure... I have to find the ChangeLog....

Are you sure? I thought I read something like that in the ChangeLog of the 1.0.1 Patch.

In my point of view you are able to show a little "intro" at the start of a mission... but I'm not sure... I have to find the ChangeLog....

These are two separate things. The topic is on the video production tool built-in into DCS BS and FC 2.0. The ability to embed a video to a mission is another feature. Please read the GUI manual or see the initial post.

OK, found it....

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=720370#post720370

TRACK PLAYBACK PRIOR TO MISSION START (MISSION INTRO)

It's now possible to create missions with a pre-recorded introduction track.

The procedure to create a mission with an intro track is as follows:

1. Create a mission with the necessary triggers, graphical and audio material.

2. Launch the mission, record the intro track and save it.

3. Create a new file, called "continue_track" with the number '1' inside. The file can be created with Notepad or other similar program. The file should have no extension.

4. Open the TRK file with your archive opener (winrar, etc.) and insert the "continue_track" file inside the "track_data" folder of the TRK archive.

5. Rename the TRK extention to MIZ.

As a result you will have a MIZ file that includes a track file inside. When the mission is launched, the track will be played back, after which the player will be handed control automatically.

Sorry, it was a other thing... nothing to do with the avi-tool.... I mixed it up.

Hi! Bucic!

Thanks in advance and sorry b'cause I didn't answered bfore.. I did try it but I find a lot of screenshots at movies file.. Is this? there are frame to frame isn't it?..

My question is, how I recreate the big quantity of images on a video roll? I suspect I need a program. Sony Vegas 9 it's far enough?

Another question is that I only have one codec and no more options.. Even the codec it's not the same as in your picture.. I must to install some kind of codec?

Thanks in advance Bucic (When spanish version finally stops testing.. I let you some tracks.. I don't forget that you like watch BS better than TV.. je jeee)

Regards!

ESA_Achurro

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A procedure to get >perfect< videos out of DCS/FC 2.0 (WIP)

:beer:Big thanks go to helpful people from VideoHelp.com Forum - poisondeathray, jagabo and others!

Whenever I talk geeky about video encoding and editing it's thanks to their help :)

General idea - use Record AVI tool advantages (see the initial post), get lossless output, work in lossless format, (at the end) compress lossless format with lossy extreme quality x264 codec:

1. DCS/FC 2.0 Mission Editor: Flight - Record AVI -> select a track
  2. PNG sequence + WAV, 100% quality, (for youtube HD->) 30 FPS, 1280x720
  3. VirtualDUB: Open the first image from the sequence. It will load the whole sequence autom.
  4. VirtualDUB: Video -> Full processing mode AND Audio -> Direct stream copy
  5. VirtualDUB: Audio -> Audio from other file -> select the WAV audio file generated by DCS (at this point you can already use the VirtualDUB's full editing capabilities and/or save the file as AVI for YouTube)
  6. VirtualDUB: Video -> Compression -> Lagarith lossless codec -> Configure -> Mode: RGB (default) + enable Multithreading
  7. VirtualDUB: File -> Save as AVI (now we have a video in lossless format of both video and audio)
  8. Do video editing of any kind and in any application on the created lossless video. When it's ready to be produced (final work, publishing, uploading to YouTube etc.) proceed to the next step
  9. x264 GUI (XviD4PSP, Handbrake etc.) -> compress the final lossless video using x264 (video) and AAC (audio) extreme quality presets.
    If you're a perfectionist you may produce your video using lossless codec accepted by YouTube. The only lossless codec I've tested with YouTube so far is CamStudio lossless codec that comes with CamStudio freeware screen recording software (suitable for desktop recording only - not in-game recordings, although the codec is universal).

Done!

The final effect should be at least as good as these

Please keep in mind that:

- I would never be able to capture such a smooth video on my rig using any other capturing method. Again - if I'd choose 100 FPS output the Record AVI tool would happily produce that smooth 100 FPS video for me. Get it?! :D

- these are beginnings

Disk space limitations

Converting PNG sequence to lossless video format you will work with will obviously require HDD space for both (the sequence can be deleted only after it has been converted, obviously). The simple solution is to convert PNG sequences from fragments of our track one by one e.g.:

- first 10 minutes of a track file to PNG sequence

- PNG sequence conversion to lossless video format

- PNG sequence deletion

- next 10 minutes of a track file to PNG sequence

and so on.

A piece of advice for those who would like to begin the Record AVI adventure - in the Record AVI tool window select the start and ending time to get an output from 20 seconds maximum. You don't need more to see how it works and it will be reasonably fast to render. Also make some notes of the filesizes for your 20 s videos. It might shock you a bit :D

Why lossless compresion?

PNG (lossless c.) vs JPG (lossy c.) example that applies to videos too

jpg_vs_png.png

Additionally each time you save lossy compressed file into another lossy compressed file the quality degrades further (e.g. each JPG to JPG save). Same with video and audio formats using lossy compression. PNG (or HuffYUV for video) will reamin pixel to pixel identical to the source file no matter how many times you save it.

What is the best lossless codec for editing?

Main conclusions:

In Video Capture and Video Editing Area the overall clear winner is Lagarith.

Color space conversions = loss of quality. How to prevent it? Is it hard to achieve?

Lossless formats workflow can still suffer from loss of quality due to color space conversions.

losslesslagarith_vslosslessx264.png

You want to avoid un-necessary conversions. Ie, don't go from RGB to YUY2 to RGB to YV12, to YUY2 to yada, yada, yada. Each of those conversions has the potential to degrade the image a little.

The biggest issue is to avoid going from YUV to RGB.

:baby:The solution does not look complicated...

Me: Keep RGB color throughout the video capturing and editing process by using Lagarith mode RGB (default) and only produce the final material to x264 YUV12. As long as we will be able to use Lagarith without any problems we're on the safe side

Record AVI tool selected resolution and FOV:

record_avi_resolutions.jpg

TO DO:

Estimate file size of 10 min long Lagarith lossless codec video, 1280x720, 30 FPS.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

OUTDATED INFO! NOW THE LIMIT IS MUCH HIGHER!

Just a reminder :director:

YouTube Video Time Limit Increased To 15 Minutes

OUTDATED INFO! NOW THE LIMIT IS MUCH HIGHER!

Edited by Bucic
  • Like 2

Ok, I have experience with virtualdub and avisynth so I'll go with those too, thanks.

[ TM Warthog / Saitek Rudder :: Oculus Rift :: Obutto cockpit :: Acer HN274H 27" 120Hz :: 3D Vision Ready ]

Thanks in advance Bucic (When spanish version finally stops testing.. I let you some tracks.. I don't forget that you like watch BS better than TV.. je jeee)

I don't watch TV at all, soo... :)

So do you still use this method in 1.0.2?

If you do, have you had to make any changes to the options you pick (to re-force the use of certain codecs, or to settle with the provided ones)?

Another question is that I only have one codec and no more options.. Even the codec it's not the same as in your picture.. I must to install some kind of codec?

As you can both see in the procedure I still use the tool (well, I rather investigate it...) in 1.0.2. The codec questions you both have are related to 1.0.2 changes. See the other topic

Changing the codec or resolution of Avi Record?

Ok, I have experience with virtualdub and avisynth so I'll go with those too, thanks.

Really? So I could use your help too. That is if MeGUI has any considerable advantages over more noob friendly Handbrake and DivX4PSP. It does?

Edited by Bucic

I've only ever used both together; avsynth is a scripting language that generates its output as a fake audio/video stream, that virtual dub captures and does any further processing on as needed.

It's not a friendly tool by any means, but being a script you can do almost anything with it, you're not stuck with some stock fades/wipes/titles.

http://avisynth.org/mediawiki/Main_Page

The doom9 guys are where I was able to salvage most help and tips from, what they've forgotten is probably more than I'll ever know:

http://forum.doom9.org/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=33

I will allways recomend you the Uncompressed AVI method. I found serious trouble time ago with the PNG method, specially with big files (1080 HD) not matching the time of the sound with the quantity of frames. Virtualdub it's the best.

Also, for machinima movies, I found the H.264 codec not useful after trying with several configuration values, I dind't enjoy the results. Better VP8 codec, (works perfectly in Youtube) but make it work natively it's hard.

Carlos "Design" Pastor

AMD64x2 5200+, 4GB DDR2, Asus M2V, Nvidia Geforce GTX260, Win7 x64

I will allways recomend you the Uncompressed AVI method. I found serious trouble time ago with the PNG method, specially with big files (1080 HD) not matching the time of the sound with the quantity of frames. Virtualdub it's the best.

Also, for machinima movies, I found the H.264 codec not useful after trying with several configuration values, I dind't enjoy the results. Better VP8 codec, (works perfectly in Youtube) but make it work natively it's hard.

Hi!

Why would anyone use uncompressed AVI when there are great lossless compression codecs like Lagarith? :) The troubles with sound out of sync should not discredit the PNG sequence at the spot, IMO. Maybe it was some sort of keyframes or interlacing issue?

From what I know VP8 can win with x264 in terms of quality only if the x264 compression was done wrong :)

See http://x264dev.multimedia.cx/archives/377 (addendum C)

Edited by Bucic

Hi!

Why would anyone use uncompressed AVI when there are great lossless compression codecs like Lagarith?

Meaning extracting from the sim to a container file, of course it need some kind of compression after that (Not FRAPS, not PNG method)

From what I know VP8 can win with x264 in terms of quality only if the x264 compression was done wrong :)

See http://x264dev.multimedia.cx/archives/377 (addendum C)

Interesting article, but doesn't match with my 35 tests aprox. that I did time ago with several encoders. At same config values, the result looked better for the eye (less pixelate, more accurate colors, etc...)

• Like 1

Carlos "Design" Pastor

AMD64x2 5200+, 4GB DDR2, Asus M2V, Nvidia Geforce GTX260, Win7 x64

Meaning extracting from the sim to a container file, of course it need some kind of compression after that (Not FRAPS, not PNG method)

Interesting article, but doesn't match with my 35 tests aprox. that I did time ago with several encoders. At same config values, the result looked better for the eye (less pixelate, more accurate colors, etc...)

Sorry, I forgot that Lagarith output is not an option now. But still I would prefer to stay with PNG sequence and spend some time investigating out of sync sound problem.

OK, I'll take your notes under consideration. http://www.videohelp.com/tools/VP7_Codec

Oh Bucic!

Lot of thanks for the help. I'll save your response like golden papers.:thumbsup:

Just starting study.

When BS102 'cristian' jjj (spanish) version will be released, I'll reinstall my older files and put together them at fileshare or similar.. You'll have 'no TV' till next hundred years.... jjj:clap:

As I said, Lot of thanks, Bucic, lot of sincerely thanks !!:clap_2:

ESA_Achurro

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks for your kind words, Achurro :)

Update:

- the info post updated: Color space conversions = loss of quality. How to prevent it? Is it hard to achieve?

- non-essential postings moved from the info post to the next post after it

Since most of DCS videos are intended for YouTube here's an interesting table on the formats actually used by youtube when video is already at their servers:

youtube-formats.png

http://extendopera.org/userjs/content/get-flv-video-v13

• 1 month later...

The main article updated http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=989796&postcount=10

Also it may be that I'll make use of all of that next week for my WIP technology demo

title02n_jpg.jpg

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=1028968#post1028968

Help needed (scroll down).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...