Clouds...a huge perfomance impact

sisifos

I tried the same mission with realy clear skies and with clouds. At the first case I had constantly 40-50 fps all the time even with high settings. With cloudy skies even scattered one, I had a huge fps drop. Sometimes they drop at 10-15 :( Are there any others with the same problem? Any solution?

I have a dual core at 2.8GH 2 GB Ram and an nVidia GeFORCE 210 with 512MB

• ED Team
I tried the same mission with realy clear skies and with clouds. At the first case I had constantly 40-50 fps all the time even with high settings. With cloudy skies even scattered one, I had a huge fps drop. Sometimes they drop at 10-15 :( Are there any others with the same problem? Any solution?

I have a dual core at 2.8GH 2 GB Ram and an nVidia GeFORCE 210 with 512MB

I have tested with clouds at all density settings and I only see a minimal drop, say 5%. My system spec below

Having problems? Visit http://en.wiki.eagle.ru/wiki/Main_Page

Dell Laptop M1730 -Vista- Intel Core 2 Duo T7500@2.2GHz, 4GB, Nvidia 8700MGT 767MB

Intel i7 975 Extreme 3.2GHZ CPU, NVidia GTX 570 1.28Gb Pcie Graphics.

I too, have this issue on my end. Clear skies I average around 50 and with clouds on I get low 30's accompanied by alot of stutter.

E8400 @ 3.6Ghz, 4GB OCZ, ATI 4870HD 512MB, Win7x64Ultimate

EDIT: After testing sisifos workaround It seems that I average around 50 just like as if there weren't clouds.

I hope this info might help ED eradicate this issue. If you need my DxDiag I will gladly post it.

Edited by ClearDark

This has seemed to correct a stutter for me as well. I emphasize seemed because I would need to test further.

Since 2's release I have noticed a stutter even with FPS at 60 and put it down to the way the game is. The stutter actually was pretty much the same as the stutter you get in 1.12 with many ground units. Now I have tried this value and 2 is preforming better for me. I'll test a bit further.

E8600 o/c 3.6, GTX280, 2GB RAM, Win7 64, Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS

Edited by Crunch

I solve the problem changing the entry CloudAspectThreshold from 0.03 to 1.0 in GameDir\Config\graphics.cfg

I don't know what exactly that parameter does but clouds don't change my fps performance any more. I just mention it in case someone else has the same problem.

I have same problem. Can't wait to try (now I'm at work :( )

Gigabyte Z490 Gaming X | i5 10600K@4700 | 32 Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz | Gigabyte Aorus GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11G |

MONITOR IIYAMA 24,5" LED LCD @ 1920 x 1080 | Windows 11

| Saitek X-55 Rhino | TrackIR 5 Pro

There is no question this setting has smoothed things out for me. I am happy as I was a little let down at the stutter at first. I know this is a hard test because it's qualitative instead of quantitative.

Thanks sisifos.

Can you elaborate more? Did you set the value from 0.03 to 1.0? or to 2.0?

Also any visual differences with the clouds?

Breakshot_Sig_2.jpg

Tim "Breakshot" Mytrofanov | C.O. of 51 ПВО / 100 КИАП Regiments | twitch.tv/51breakshot

I further tested with different weather scenarios and I saw that as clouds go more dense especially at full cover the problem appears again but not as bad as without the setting we try.

Also, I tested a few different fog settings and as I can see, fog doesn't seem to affect perfomance at all.

It will help if someone from ED team tell us what exactly the setting we change does and what is its value range. At least until they have a better look at the problem.

I solve the problem changing the entry CloudAspectThreshold from 0.03 to 1.0 in GameDir\Config\graphics.cfg

OMG .... 3 days i search way to improve my fps. Near cloud i had 1 fps ... NOW I HAVE 40fps ... lol

TAHNK YOU!

• Like 1

NOUS DEFIONS

Interesting, I can't reproduce FPS drop you guys mentioned. I flew through both cumulus cloud and overcast cloud without any change. I don't need to do the CouldAspectThreshold trick.

NVIDIA 9800GTX here with 196.21 driver

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

Interesting, I can't reproduce FPS drop you guys mentioned. I flew through both cumulus cloud and overcast cloud without any change. I don't need to do the CouldAspectThreshold trick.

NVIDIA 9800GTX here with 196.21 driver

Well, with such a low-powered card there's probably not that far your fps can fall :)

Just jokes.

I'm having FPS problems near buildings and also cloud cover. FPS drops from 60 (vsync on) to 10-20 at worst.

From this thread it seems like this issue only affects ATI graphics cards. I also have a HD5870 (also happened with HD5770).

Rest of the specs are Q9450 @ 3.2 Ghz, 8 GB ram, W7 x64.

I don't know what exactly that parameter does but clouds don't change my fps performance any more. I just mention it in case someone else has the same problem.

It helped me too :) Thx.

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

I'm going to have to try this, clouds are a huge problem for me. Thanks.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

More feedback. I have Black Shark too and I try it the other day with and without clouds. I have no problem at all there. I run both games at the same machine with same settings. Someone should expect BS has more trouble to run than FC2, couse it has more advanced flight models, avionics etc. But I dare to say, it plays more smooth than FC2. Ofcourse with the setting of graphics.cfg mentioned at the first page of the thread unchanged for FC2. With the setting changed FC2 runs as smooth as BS.

An other strange thing is that at the same file (graphics.cfg) for the Black Shark the specific setting (CloudAspectThreshold) does't exist at all.

Edited by sisifos

On my end I REALLY wish the cloud shadows cast on ground would be like in FC1 ........ Because in FC2 they produce a NASTY vertical banding zooming/moving pattern all over the horizon .......

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=51719&page=3

screeens:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=864773&postcount=9

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=866232&postcount=19

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=866158&postcount=14

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=866176&postcount=15

Active planar shadows and Full planar shadows seem to make no difference in all game shadows, i wonder if they work.

Also i get NASTY tearing-up / waving of screen as if V-sync is off (which is not ofcourse, but no matter what v-sync settings i give to my Ati Control Panel it doesnt seem to make a difference) I REALLY wish i knew whats causing that ..........

(micro?) Stuttering seem to be i guess in the dna of LO. Its still here in FC2 no matter the FPS.

i7.860 | HD 5850 | 6Gb DDR3 1600

i7 880 | HD 7870 | 8 Gb DDR3 1600 | ECS P55H-A | OCZ Vertex 2 180 | Intel 330 180 | WD 500 AAKS | 2x WD 2T Green | Enermax Liberty 620 | CH Combatstick & Throttle | TrackIR 3 | HP ZR24W | Windows 7 x64