XP --> W7 FPS Rate

Sawamura

Yesterday, i installed W7 64 bit on my 2nd HD to give it another shot. :music_whistling:

To get straight, compared to XP with the very same graphic settings in Lock On and Nvidia, i have an average fps loose of 25.

My system:

3,2 GhZ dual core

4 gb ram

9800 GTX Nvidia

In XP 32 bit, i use, i have from 4 GB ram, 3,25 ram aviable.

In W7 64 bit, i have all my 4 GB ram aviable minus the ram, W7 needs to be running. Plus some little performance increase, i have from 32 --> 64 bit, it could be equal performance, i have aviable for Lock On to be running.

Does someone of you experienced same situation?

Or is it normal, that LO runs with lower FPS in W7 than on XP?

Thanks for any help and advise in advance.

Edited by Sawamura

w7 uses more memory than xp in both video and onboard memory. your video card is most likely to blame. i had the 9800 and the 260 core 216 on a q6600 and fps jumped up high when i swapped. went from playing crysis at high to max with same fps.

• Like 1

If you have the possibility try the W7 X86. I have a similar system with yours. my graphic card is 8800 GT and i swapped from win xp 32 to win 7 86. I haven't noticed a drastic fps drop.

I think the the rise hitman experienced is due to this reason:

1. 2,6 GHz on win xp: this is for system, programs running in background and game.

2. 2,4 Ghz on each of the 4 cores with w7: you can be sure that the game will use a core of it's own so at about 2,4 GHz. because w7 is good at distributing the processes on all cores (sytem and programs will run on other cores).

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, MSI MEG X570 UNIFY (AM4, AMD X570, ATX), Noctua NH-DH14, EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti XC3 ULTRA, Seasonic Focus PX (850W), Kingston HyperX 240GB, Samsung 970 EVO Plus (1000GB, M.2 2280), 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600 DIMM CL16, Cooler Master 932 HAF, Samsung Odyssey G5; 34", Win 10 X64 Pro, Track IR, TM Warthog, TM MFDs, Saitek Pro Flight Rudders

I got an FPS "increase" of around 10-20% (depending on the situation) going from XP 4GB and a 640MB 8800GTS to W7 64-bit 640MB 8800GTS but i lost V-Sync in the process. No driver (tried various) gave me back V-Sync although it is forced on either through the NCP or nHancer.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

the numbers and data, is too unorganized to me, to figure it all out.. get an FPS reading with FRAPS free version..)

or get a free version of Futuremark 3DMark06

then take the numbers and compare WinXP with Win7

:joystick:

ASUS Strix Z790-H, i9-13900, WartHog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind

G.Skill 64 GB Ram, 2TB SSD

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

55" Sony OLED TV, Oculus VR

k, i updated my pc and swaped my 9800 with an 260 GTX and i added 4 GB ram.

No change on the FPS in Lock On.

So to put together, i have

3,2 GhZ dual core

8 GB ram

260 GTX 900 mb

I have these graphic settings:

http://sawamura.de/graphics.cfg

In average, i still have 20 - 30 fps less than i had in XP.

I re-ask, have you installed you motherboard drivers?

Anyway, LockOn 2.0 will be faster, normal Lockon and Flaming Cliffs just use one cpu core.

AMD Ryzen 1400 // 16 GB DDR4 2933Mhz // Nvidia 1060 6GB // W10 64bit // Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2

I re-ask, have you installed you motherboard drivers?

W7 did that already. If i install the drivers for the motherboard with the CD, i have problems to install invidia drivers.

Anyway, LockOn 2.0 will be faster, normal Lockon and Flaming Cliffs just use one cpu core.

It is not certain, if i will switch.

W7 did that already. If i install the drivers for the motherboard with the CD, i have problems to install invidia drivers.

Go to the motherboard vendor webpage and download updated drivers for chipset, sata, etc. Many problems might be fixed by those drivers.

AMD Ryzen 1400 // 16 GB DDR4 2933Mhz // Nvidia 1060 6GB // W10 64bit // Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2

what resolution are you running at? these gfx cards are designed to run at least 1440x900 @ 8x af and 16x antialiasing. anything below those specs actually make it run slower. i didnt know you were referring to lomac, those average fps numbers would top out around 30 - 55...the lowest being over a large city with tons of units, and the highest being over country terrain. ive never had over 32 fps over simferopol...even on 6gb ddr3 ram, i7 920 o/c to 4ghz, gtx 260 o/c, and whatever. you can just admit defeat over this, its pretty pointless to get more out of it. on a good note youll have no problems running anything else!!!

on a side note distiller is right about the drivers. windows uses generic drivers...it would behoove you to use the right drivers. nvidia makes excellent drivers, just make sure you get the right drivers. dont worry about firmware or bios updates. you wont regret it if you do get the right drivers, as these fix issues and bugs too, as well as increase performance.

Edited by hitman

Go to the motherboard vendor webpage and download updated drivers for chipset, sata, etc. Many problems might be fixed by those drivers.

Just did that, no change.

@ Hitman: I run at 1920x1080. I dont want to get more out of this system, i want to get on the at least same level of performance i had on XP. That must be possible.

Im just checking. While Lock On running, also set to only one core, the usage of the selected core is always on 100 %.

I think there i something wrong.

As an additional note, i currently have Direct X 11. When i installed Lock On and it asked me to install 9.0b, i couldnt do it, cause it says the newest one are already installed. I heart Direct x 11 is not so good for Lock On? :noexpression:

But anyway..

Im just checking. While Lock On running, also set to only one core, the usage of the selected core is always on 100 %.

I think there i something wrong.

try running it on multiple cores if you can. i always did this and didnt have any problems. even though its designed for 1 core, it will use both to lighten the work load and keep both cores cooler. give it a shot, couldnt hurt. w7 and vista work well with multiple cores while xp didnt.

As an additional note, i currently have Direct X 11. When i installed Lock On and it asked me to install 9.0b, i couldnt do it, cause it says the newest one are already installed. I heart Direct x 11 is not so good for Lock On? :noexpression:

But anyway..

That might be the problem. You need to install directx9, it doesen't overwrite dx11. Perhaps the error was because you already have dx9 installed. If not, try to download dx9 package from microsoft and install it.

^^^

Something is not then for sure, on my end (Win7 here also) LO runs at some 20-40% CPU0 and 60-80% CPU1, not 100% of one CPU utilizes for LO like in your case... you sure you got all the updates for your OS and latest driver for all hardware? Don't leave OS to install motherboard driver but get latest ones from manufacturer website

No longer active in DCS...

You could try to reinstall LockOn and test it first without installing any mod. Might even be a problem with old starforce. Avoid installiation in /program files.

Edited by Distiler
  • Like 1

I did install the newest driver off all hardware components (without Nvidia cause the newest one makes trouble with GPU, i heart) and mainboard.

Also, im testing and did compare the fps rates with a blank LO, without any mods, only my graphic settings.

That is really odd Sawa, Win 7 has seemed to add a few frames for everyone I know! Try doing some 'scientific' tests; eliminate possible problems one at a time. Turn your settings all the way down and see if that fixes it, then try checking background processes and adjusting your video card, etc.

Ok, i just finished some testing.

I left all LO settings the same. I set all Nvidia graphic settings(AA and such) to low and performance.

Only a change of ~2 fps. So i guess its not the graphics card.

----------

I put all Nvidia graphic settings to my defaults (8 AA, 8 Anti strope and such) and set all LO graphic settings to low.

Fps increase of plenty. But still, the core, LO is using has an usage of 100 % all the time, while LO is running.

Im getting out of ideas, what i could try to get it running properly on W7.

I did install the newest driver off all hardware components (without Nvidia cause the newest one makes trouble with GPU, i heart) and mainboard.

Also, im testing and did compare the fps rates with a blank LO, without any mods, only my graphic settings.

But did you reinstalled LockOn or just switched off those mods? I suggest you to uninstall LockOn, delete the folder and reinstall it from scratch

Remember, you don't need ro reactivate Starforce. Also keep in mind that starforce XP driver is not compatible with W7 so you'll need to get the updated starforce driver (mind you, perhaps this is why your cpu is at 100%)

Edited by Distiler