Cry Engine 3 possible on DCS?

Dr. Mitsos

Love to see ya'all get Lippy in the same Pen as 'Ol Grumpy the Gorgeous over there..........:P

I'll say it again: Pretty as a Picture!

:D

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

I'll say it again: Pretty as a Picture!

:D

I think you should stop drinking whatever you're drinking.... cos you're getting a case of the beer goggles...

• Like 1

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

I`m trying to image an animal more ugly than that one, no luck so far. If there is a contest "Ugliest moth@#%!* on the planet" it probably is going to take the prize.

Well, maybe it will have to share it with this hellish creature:

ayeaye.jpg

Edited by topol-m

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

He's Scottish, what do you expect..

EDIT:

before anyone starts complaining

A] in the same sqn

B] English banter

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

You must have a negative offset problem with your standards. ;)

:megalol:

I'm an African Child (Now resident in Scotland) - Grew up surrounded by the Bushveld. Have always admired the 'Ol 'Vlakvark'.

On a more serious note, an Animal to be admired for it's Tenacity and Courage if not it's Looks......Not many animals that can account for a Pack of Hunting Dogs or even the occasional Lion or Leopard. The A-10 is aptly named indeed!

Lion vs Warthog

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

:huh:

I played couple of flight sims 10-15 years ago that had better eye candy!

Seriousely, the only shock related to that pic is that we're closing to 2010!

Check this for instance:

http://www.migman.com/ref/1990_combat/F16MiG29/MiG29.htm

I think my sarcasm got lost filtered by my ISP... that was exactly my point.

I fly about once a week, and I have to repeat myself, the DCS engine is by far the closest to transmit the overall feeling of looking at the world from the sky. In my personal experience, the desire for a better representation of the objects comes from having a very confined view when using a single monitor. You have a very little window into the virtual world, so you focus on every detail. I recently upgraded to multiple screens and finally I can perceive, for instance, a full mountain instead of just some ground covering half my screen. That by itself transforms the experience completely, I find myself automatically filling the remaining gaps (lack of texture detail, lack of incremental detail) and enjoying the flight and the fight much much more.

A graphics engine is a "foundation" on which you must put content on. In the case of Crysis, it's the monumental effort on individual shader effects and handcrafted level creation that gives it the magnificent look. If you only had three tree models, and a generic world derived from an elevation and landclassing map, you'd immediately begin to feel the artificiality on it. Hell, I played the game, and found that about 2 hours into it.

It is nevertheless very powerful, but its magic does not come from the engine but from the ammount of work put into details. I would love to see the same effort put into DCS, but you have to understand it would take a very different form. A very clever shader program to use bump mapping to simulate carvings on a rock, or volumetric tree shadows or underwater refraction, has absolutely no use in a flight simulator. Employing some shader wizardry to more accurately display the shine of a city in the distance, or better and more varied clouds, or complex overcast, or extensive LODing and bumpmapping at short distances would be great but you'd never get that just from using CryEngine, but from having coders and artists dedicated to creating that specific detail. Hence, what ED needs is more money, not CryEngine.

I crave for multithreading, though, only because of performance, since the engine really suffers of CPU bottlenecking with its current level of detail. Yes, I want to use full shadows and effects and water with three monitors, and I think I have the hardware for it. But heck, I'll survive.

Westinghouse W-600 refrigerator - Corona six-pack - Marlboro reds - Patience by Girlfriend

"Engineering is the art of modelling materials we do not wholly understand, into shapes we cannot precisely analyse so as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess, in such a way that the public has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance." (Dr. A. R. Dykes - British Institution of Structural Engineers, 1976)

You're probably talking about the military branch of simulations coming from ED, which did include some sort of FAC.

What you are seeing in the screenshot there is already in the engine for the A-10C ... so be negative all you like, but that's like not believing a hot babe is asking you out, while she's right there doing so ;)

:thumbup: Ha thats because a hot babe would never ask me out. lol

Intel i7 990X, 6GB DDR3, Nvidia GTX 470 x2 SLI, Win 7 x64

http://picasaweb.google.com/sweinhart

One thing that has always bothered me about every sim out there was the ground texturing. Once your about a hundred feet in the air, the ground does start look like textures IRL. But as you approach decent below that, it stops looking like textures and you can begin to make out the 3 dimentions of rocks, pebbles, sticks, grass etc. Is it technically even possible for that kind of effect? If so, why hasnt this been implemented in any flight sim? Also, when your on the ground in simulator, unless your butt up against a tree or building, they always appear very small. Im sure the size monitor that you use can make a big difference, but irl a 10 story building looks huge from on the ground perspective. Ive always hoped that a sim could provide that effect of stuff being much bigger than your self but so far havent seen it. FPS games are pretty good at making scenery around you pretty big from a ground perspective but I dont know why that sort of effect has not been done in a flight sim. I dont mean the pain staking details that goes in a fps, but the size of objects from a ground and low altitude perspective. Makes the simulator feel fake and Im talking about all flight simulators.

Edited by sweinhart3

The size of the objects is correct. What you're forgetting is that you never really have a ground perspective - you're usually some 6 or 10 feet up in the air.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

One thing that has always bothered me about every sim out there was the ground texturing. Once your about a hundred feet in the air, the ground does start look like textures IRL. But as you approach decent below that, it stops looking like textures and you can begin to make out the 3 dimentions of rocks, pebbles, sticks, grass etc. Is it technically even possible for that kind of effect? If so, why hasnt this been implemented in any flight sim? Also, when your on the ground in simulator, unless your butt up against a tree or building, they always appear very small. Im sure the size monitor that you use can make a big difference, but irl a 10 story building looks huge from on the ground perspective. Ive always hoped that a sim could provide that effect of stuff being much bigger than your self but so far havent seen it. FPS games are pretty good at making scenery around you pretty big from a ground perspective but I dont know why that sort of effect has not been done in a flight sim. I dont mean the pain staking details that goes in a fps, but the size of objects from a ground and low altitude perspective. Makes the simulator feel fake and Im talking about all flight simulators.

1- About close up LODing as you mention, try Orbx scenery for MSFSX, it´s the best that has been done. There are two limitations: 1, you need constant texture and object streaming streaming for the various LODs (aircrafts move much faster than humans) which is taxed by the CPU, GPU and hard drive bandwith capabilities. 2, you need to actually have created all those effects, varied enough to include different kind of asphalt, grass, dirt, bushes, houses, whatever, and have correctly placed them manually in the virtual world. Orbx does this for specific airports and/or locations, and takes them quite a while to pull through.

2- In an FPS you´re always very close to buildings, 1 or two meter away. In a FS you´re always about one hundred meters from anything, unless you´re about to crash.

3- To get a correct, 1:1 scale display of the virtual world, the FOV you have to use barely extends the HUD. Make the calculation, it´s:

FOV = 2 * inv sen (screen width in cm / 2 / distance from eyes to monitor)

Edited by sinelnic

Westinghouse W-600 refrigerator - Corona six-pack - Marlboro reds - Patience by Girlfriend

"Engineering is the art of modelling materials we do not wholly understand, into shapes we cannot precisely analyse so as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess, in such a way that the public has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance." (Dr. A. R. Dykes - British Institution of Structural Engineers, 1976)

Wow I never new about those scenery packages. I must say its the first one Ive seen that Im truly impressed and exactly what Ive always wished for in a sim. Not likely DCS will ever have scenery that good. I abandoned MSFS a long time ago but that looks good enough to revive my interest in it.

• 1 month later...

Rage, you nearly gave me a heart attack. When I saw the "Cry Engine 3" on recent posts I thought "oh not another of those threads". :P

Thankfully it was just an old one. :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester