G940 problems

at first, sorry for my poor english

I have "two" problems with my brand new G940

I have been playing DCS:BS with G940 for 4 days here, in Asia

one thing is about trimming, at flying bird.

when I press the trim key (T), the stick is going under low FF power,

but it does "not" keep position where i want. after in 1sec, the stick recenters.

any position, any direction as same the stick recenters.

this is my first time to use FF joystick, so I don`t know why. why? why?

I have changed every setting in profile, FF setting, but same result

is it impossilbe to trim with G940 joystick? I am much dissapointed, and regretful

moreover I can`t find any feedback from logitech, where could I get helpful solution?

and the profile is not complete under my OS windows 7.

I could`t start many games under logitech profile. whenever I click "start the game XXX"

nothing seems to be happen. I wanna updated version above 5.06 of logitech profile

second is calibration problem of ministick on joystick.

the ministick`s center is NE of intended center a little.

I used program enclosed with release CD. but I could not recalibrate at all

there is no mini X tap on program.

at axis command in DCS:BS option, the DCS:BS detect the mini X as slide X

and mini Y as slide Y. could I map ministick as other than slide?

in game as IL-2 there are no problems, but impossilbe trimming much annoys!

my impression : No trimming, no worth

--------------------------

this is same article from simhq i wrote

G940.png.0adf73804c531ea897f20b06f3b6f305.png

Edited by alosio

IIRC it was posted on this forum that Logitech is currently working on a set of new drivers, that will fix some communication-problems between some games and Logitech's force-feedback and some centering issues connected to it.

The stick has not even be released worldwide - I have no doubt that updated drivers will be available soon. Can't be long. Hang in there.

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

Hi All,

First, Although it will probably work, we are not yet claiming comp[atibility with Windows 7. Our software will be compatible before the October 22 launch.

The G940 has a "deadman" switch, which shuts off force feedback and centers the stick whenever you remove your hand. So, if you trim the stick to a non-centered position, and remove your hand, it will return to the basic centered position. This is a safety device to keep the stick from jumping off your desk in a crash, or during other violent force inputs.

It cannot be turned off in software. However, the sensor is just above the screw on the right side of the stick. If it were covered by a dark object, such as some tape, it would not return to center automatically. We don't recommend this, but ot would act more realistically.

There is a more recent software build out, published after the G940 went into production. The production version was 5.06. 5.07 is available for download, but not yet linked to G940. You can get the proper download by following the support links from the G27 racing wheel.

We are making further improvements, and I'll post the notice when the next update comes out.

Flight System G940 Product Manager

Logitech

Hi All,

(the deadman switch) cannot be turned off in software. However, the sensor is just above the screw on the right side of the stick. If it were covered by a dark object, such as some tape, it would not return to center automatically. We don't recommend this, but ot would act more realistically ... This I will try ... I think it sorta defeats the purpose of having a FFB stick in BS if it auto returns to center ... guess I'll have to bolt it down ;)

There is a more recent software build out, published after the G940 went into production. The production version was 5.06. 5.07 is available for download ... Excellent! Does this solve the 64-bit Vista recognition issue some are seeing?

We are making further improvements, and I'll post the notice when the next update comes out ...

It's nice to know that Logitech are maintaining visibility with the community:thumbup: ... now if you could just convince customer support that the G940 is released ;)

Mark, did you say before that you were making some profiles available via download?

WH_Blaster (Larry) :beer:

US Air Force (Retired, 1961-1981)

Join us for fun with the DCS series and other games at the War Hawks Squad website ... we are a mature gaming group that enjoys realism and having fun! http://war-hawks.net

System: i7=950 @ 3.3 GHz, GA-X58-UDR3 MB, 6GB RAM, GTX770, 256GB system SSD, 128GB gaming SSD, TIR5, TM HOTAS WH, HannsG 28-in, Acer 23-in touch screen.

Initial impressions:

1. Boxed very well. Logitech's "shelf" packaging, inside a Logitech heavy cardboard outer package, inside a heavy amazon.com outer cardboard package. Arrived with no damage visible via UPS.
  2. Initially, the quality impression was good. Finish is good and all three components appear to be well made and appear to be durable.
  3. Throttle is sexy! It's a bit wider than the X52 Pro throttle and a bit more long. It sits lower than the X52 Pro. Motion is good and there are subtle detents at each end of travel.

1. Button placement is OK although the end-to-end travel on the rotaries is more than a single "finger flick".
    2. I will miss not having center detents. I'm not sure how I'll map these yet but I may wind up making them banded sliders with a comfortable dead zone
    3. With my long-finger hands I can get to all buttons and rotaries OK. Not sure about a smaller hand.

[*]Stick is also very nice. It has a good feel and the material is comfortable to hold.

1. button placement was a bit difficult. With my hand resting on the hand rest, the pinkie switch was very comfortable and the side button was easily reachable. The bottom row of the upper buttons was in good position but I had to shift upward to reach the top hat and buttons S1/S2.
  2. Trim buttons look nice but I sure wish they had detents, too. I also wish they were on the throttle :smilewink: ... it's a stretch to reach across with the left hand to use the trim controls (and maybe impossible in some installations). Maybe I'll use a bright paint to make the center position more readily visible.
  3. FFB remains a variable to me. I've never used an FFB stick before so there is a learning curve. The deadman switch definitely has an impact when you remove your hand. Some black electrical tape will come in handy there.

[*]Rudder pedals are not connected yet but first impression was that they appear sturdy and well made. They are closer together than the Saitek pedals I have now but I don't think they are too close. I'll have to get them positioned and then try them in flight.

[*]The SW installed with no issue on WinXP ... I installed the 5.07 version. It recognized the G940 right away and went through a calibration routine before starting the profiler. It recognized FSX, Falcon 4 AF, CFS3, and IL2. It did not find DCS:BS. The GUI looks slick and professional and seems to work OK. Won't be trying programming till later this weekend. Would be nice to have command lists for some popular sims to make it easier to make a new profile ... I still have to see how the SW is laced together before doing anything there. Will try an install on my 64-bit Vista laptop tomorrow.

So far it hasn't leaped off my table or bruised my arm ... but then I haven't done much yet :joystick:

More later with some pics if I can ... I am no good with the movie making :(

Join us for fun with the DCS series and other games at the War Hawks Squad website ... we are a mature gaming group that enjoys realism and having fun! http://war-hawks.net

System: i7=950 @ 3.3 GHz, GA-X58-UDR3 MB, 6GB RAM, GTX770, 256GB system SSD, 128GB gaming SSD, TIR5, TM HOTAS WH, HannsG 28-in, Acer 23-in touch screen.

Hmmm Do you have to use the peddals for rudder. What else do you use for rudder?

No, I don't suppose you do have to use pedals for the rudder ... I went for many years without pedals. But they do make controlling an aircraft or helicopter much easier.

Alternatives include a HOTAS or joy stick with a rudder control (X45 had a rocker on the throttle)0, X52 Pro has a twist stick rudder). You could also assign two buttons on your throttle or stick (or other controller) to be rudder controls--although this uses valuable HOTAS button assignments.

You can also use the keyboard keys to control the rudder although this requires you to remove your hands from (probably) the throttle and then to find the keys. They are usually assigned to corresponding keys (like Z and X or < and >) to make it easier. Many people fly this way.

But in the end, the pedals are just one more factor which adds to the realism and immersion of a sim. If you've ever tried to take off in a skittish tail dragger with a big engine and no rudder pedals, you know how much fun it can be holding to the runway centerline (or, for that matter, holding to the runway at all :smilewink:). My first time in an old Citabria resulted in a visit to the runway grass side area and one broken runway light :lol:

Is there a manual online at all for the software? I am interested in seeing its programming capabilities.

I haven't found one yet, Killjoy. And there doesn't seem to be a lot of guidance that comes with the software. There is some help and a tutorial but I've found no in-depth explanations or examples to show the various types of programming. And the Logitech Gaming Software seems to have some good features (like zone assignments--which I assume are like banding on Saitek controllers--and cycling commands--which step through a series of commands {and maybe macros} with each button press). Hopefully we'll see some programming guidance emerge either from Logitech or from us users.

One thing I noticed is that the supplied "profiles" (FSX, Falcon 4, IL2, ...) are incomplete in that most of the buttons and axes are unassigned. What they did do was to provide the sim commands to make programming the HOTAS easier (you can select from a list of commands when assigning an action to a control).

If you have a 940 and you are not using the peddals....what are you using for rudder?

I still have my Saitek pedals attached.

I'm going to try the Logitech pedals this weekend. If I like them I'll use them. If not, I'll keep the Saitek pedals and the G940 pedals will go into the closet shelf.