dcs_mumble - Integrating DCS and VoIP

zokier

I made small set of scripts etc to integrate DCS:BS and Mumble, an open source, high quality VoIP -software. It simply changes channel in Mumble when you select a frequency in R-800. Read the readme for more information, I'm going to bed now. Lets see tomorrow how it takes off.

http://zokier.net/stuff/dcs_mumble.zip

I hope I didn't miss any files or something else important and/or stupid. (It's 5am here...)

README.txt

• Like 1

mumble is a great voip solution, unbelievably low latency!

I play Project Reality (a great BF2 mod), and a lot of servers use Mumble...it can position itself in 3d space!...so the voice actually originates from the players location, and fades out over distance.... not sure if only PR supports this, though I expect thats the case

We use BF2 built in voice comms for radio cahtter, and mumble for "local" voice chatter..

You can even hear the enemy talking if you are close enough, and let me tell you the 3d positioning is UNCANNY ... you don't realise how much SA it adds beeing able to hear where the voice is coming from positionally..

And as I said, the latency is really amazing...transmits the microsecond you press the PTT button, not the 100ms or so delay TS puts in.

/fanboy

I hope this will be fully integrated at least when the multiseaters come.

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

What a great Idea. Imagine if like the Battlefield series you could select a flight to join live while in game. Each flight could have a flight lead and each flight could have a dedicated radio frequency that you can talk on. There could also be a dedicated guard channel to talk to everyone on your side.

Just tried.

Unable to start the dcs_mumble.exe properly.

Error as follows:

Opening D-Bus

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "dcs_mumble.py", line 10, in

File "dbus\_dbus.pyc", line 202, in __new__

File "dbus\_dbus.pyc", line 108, in __new__

File "dbus\bus.pyc", line 125, in __new__

dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

Any idea? Seems to be something related with that "D-Bus"-thingy.

Tried on XP and Win7 - same result.

Regards

REAPER 31 | Painter

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What a great Idea. Imagine if like the Battlefield series you could select a flight to join live while in game. Each flight could have a flight lead and each flight could have a dedicated radio frequency that you can talk on. There could also be a dedicated guard channel to talk to everyone on your side.

Tower, Approch and deperture....

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

...Not really an idea why, but it is working properly now (after restart?). :thumbup:

Good solution for now! :thumbup:

You tested it in multiplayer and it actually worked? nice :)

Did the large amount of channels cause any problems for you?

I made small set of scripts etc to integrate DCS:BS and Mumble, an open source, high quality VoIP -software. It simply changes channel in Mumble when you select a frequency in R-800. Read the readme for more information, I'm going to bed now. Lets see tomorrow how it takes off.

http://zokier.net/stuff/dcs_mumble.zip

I hope I didn't miss any files or something else important and/or stupid. (It's 5am here...)

hey zokier i like how quick your package reacts to switching the channels over TsSimComms with its up to 5 seconds delay (unless i'm doing something wrong that i don't know about.) even though its also very nice. anyways i just wanted to ask a question in the form of:

do you plan on expanding this with more simulation value like mute/move players that have no power to their radios either from the switch not being on or from damage (like TsSimComms)?

also i'm unsure if its just me or not but starting the dcs_mumble.exe is sometimes a game of luck. i would set it all up and be ready to start that so i can start playing (start mumble, connect to the server, then run your .exe)and the CMD window would close immediately so i just wait and try to open it and its another 50\50 chance of opening it and eventually i manage to get it open and running very nicely.

if its just me then it might be the Vista Ultimate x64 thats playing a game of chance with me :(.

all in all though nice job.

Edited by soccerboy

hey zokier i like how quick your package reacts to switching the channels over TsSimComms with its up to 5 seconds delay (unless i'm doing something wrong that i don't know about.) even though its also very nice. anyways i just wanted to ask a question in the form of:

do you plan on expanding this with more simulation value like mute/move players that have no power to their radios either from the switch not being on or from damage (like TsSimComms)?

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: If it's easy to get required data from DCS and there is demand for it, then yes.

BUT: most improvements what I'll do will be based on the input from you, the community. If I think that there are no users, or if I think that the users are content, I have very little motivation to develop this software any further.

So if you want something, ask for it. If you use this, it would be nice to hear from you, and all comments are welcome, both positive and negative. And if you are versed in Python and/or Lua, feel free to send in patches :)

also i'm unsure if its just me or not but starting the dcs_mumble.exe is sometimes a game of luck. i would set it all up and be ready to start that so i can start playing (start mumble, connect to the server, then run your .exe)and the CMD window would close immediately so i just wait and try to open it and its another 50\50 chance of opening it and eventually i manage to get it open and running very nicely.

It's probably the same error what Chip had. If you run dcs_mumble from a cmd-prompt you should be able to get the error message.

As for why that error appears, I have no idea. This is my first touch on dbus, but my guess would be that Mumble doesn't respond to my dbus-requests properly.

if its just me then it might be the Vista Ultimate x64 thats playing a game of chance with me :(.

I'm developing this on Windows 7 x64, which is quite similar to Vista. I'll try if I can reproduce the bug.

all in all though nice job.

Thanks. It's nice to hear that someone finds this useful.

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: If it's easy to get required data from DCS and there is demand for it, then yes.

BUT: most improvements what I'll do will be based on the input from you, the community. If I think that there are no users, or if I think that the users are content, I have very little motivation to develop this software any further.

So if you want something, ask for it. If you use this, it would be nice to hear from you, and all comments are welcome, both positive and negative. And if you are versed in Python and/or Lua, feel free to send in patches :)

i'm unsure if you've seen this yet if so then disregard this but here is some info on LUA export with a few examples on Radios, weapons and ekran.

eaglewiki (in case you get motivated by the community) :)

It's probably the same error what Chip had. If you run dcs_mumble from a cmd-prompt you should be able to get the error message.

As for why that error appears, I have no idea. This is my first touch on dbus, but my guess would be that Mumble doesn't respond to my dbus-requests properly.

I'm developing this on Windows 7 x64, which is quite similar to Vista. I'll try if I can reproduce the bug.

hmm it seems i was in error or something because with the idea of running it through a command prompt window the old school way :D it runs flawlessly each and every time.

Thanks. It's nice to hear that someone finds this useful.

i haven't actually play tested it yet all i've really done was load it up with a few channels, jumped in the sim, tested it out and was very shocked how fast it reacted to the channel change commands. i will definitely give it more testing once my friends get the german patch after its released so then we can start some real testing of this.

• 3 weeks later...

Absolut great Tool!:thumbup:

So if you want something, ask for it. If you use this, it would be nice to hear from you, and all comments are welcome, both positive and negative. And if you are versed in Python and/or Lua, feel free to send in patches

Yes, I want you to develope more.:)

We (49thBD) have our own Mumble server on monday(tomorrow), if nothing goes wrong. (We have TS2 already, but (I) want to give mumble a chance. Such tools are the best reasons to get the people to mumble....you all know how hard it is to get the people new software and change established things)

We tested mumble a short time, but it looks like a great alternative for TS2, at least when ingame.

So I hope you will add some more features.

My wishes:

1. When no AC/DC power and/or no radio link, then mute player in mumble.

But there should be a "briefing" or "whisper to all" or "moderator" mode(a special frequency or radio mode?), for the mission/flight lead or server admin to be able to instruct all pilots. Know what I mean?

2. When switching to a frequence, it should create a new channel in mumble, if allowed by mumble-server.

Edit: Look how often your Readme is downloaded....75x times. I think this should be motivation enough ;)

Edited by Duke49th

2. When switching to a frequence, it should create a new channel in mumble, if allowed by mumble-server.
...and the other way around too maybe:

When everybody left a channel - delete the channel if allowed by mumble-server. That would reduce the number of channels and improve performance.

Regards

REAPER 31 | Painter

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...

Trying to get this to work. Instructions could be a bit clearer. I have yet to figure out how to use sqlite to add in all the extra channels but that's just a luxury. Currently I'm getting far enough to run the program and I get this error:

C:\Games\DCS\dcs_mumble\dist>dcs_mumble
Opening D-Bus
Getting URL from Mumble:
mumble://Frederf@5.198.249.9:64738/R-800?version=1.2.0
ERROR: Malformed URL
Please join "R-800" channel before launching

I've got an R-800 channel and even pasting that URL into firefox will drag me from one channel to the R-800 one.

Edited by Frederf

• 2 months later...