The T-50 (PAK-FA) Thread

nscode

It is rather obvious that the "LERXlerons" are very active at slow speeds. Dogfight with PAK FA, anybody?

attachment.php?attachmentid=139031&d=1313333476

It is rather obvious that the "LERXlerons" are very active at slow speeds. Dogfight with PAK FA, anybody?

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious to see how it will stack against the classic flanker.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

So is the F-16 leading edge...

@ Flanker, that is a beautiful shot!

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

I wonder how big are the weapon bays? From the looks of the pictures above, it me it doesn't seem to hold much.

The aircraft is bigger than raptor so I think the bay are big enough.

Also, I guess the leading edge of the wing is moving in F-16 not the Leading Edge Root Extension.

Edited by combatace

It is rather obvious that the "LERXlerons" are very active at slow speeds.

My assumption is that one of their primary functions is airflow control for the inlets. If anything, you might call them inboard leading edge flaps, because there's no doubt that they are a lift device, not a primary flight control. :) Any capability to make differential movements is probably very limited, if it exists.

I'm interested to see what kind of PAK-FA multimedia will come out of MAKS this year. I was hoping it would fly some sort of demo, but I've not heard anything to that effect yet...

Edited by aaron886

I find it interesting that it's supposed to be "stealthy" (or at least a complete F-22 knockoff) but they didn't do anything with the inlet ducts. Fanblades are one of the the biggest and most obvious radar reflectors on an airframe. They're literally straight tubes, unless they put an array of baffles or something inside, which would seriously compromise its supersonic capability. That means that if this thing is flying in your direction, you will see it on radar. Hell even if it's flying away from you you'd see it even better.

I don't like it. The overall design is quite obviously lifted straight from the F-22, while the engines with that moronic rear-facing radar spur looks as bad as it does on every other Russian aircraft. I also hate the F-14 look with the engines wildly displaced apart from each other, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense from a design perspective either - there's not much to be gained from doing that and, in the event of an engine failure, it makes the aircraft extremely difficult to control. I'm highly skeptical of its stealth capabilities and, considering it's Russian, its avionics package as well.

Does anyone know if this is *really* stealthy, or is it like China's stealth fighter where they just put angles on everything, copied some pictures off the internet, and hoped for the best?

Edited by Frostiken
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's not supposed to be an F-22 knock-off. I'm fairly certain they said they weren't trying to directly compete with the F-22. This aircraft however will be a seriously dangerous adversary against anything that is NOT an F-22 or F-35, and it'll be quite a bit more of a challenge against those than all the non-stealthy aircraft of the world.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

The aircraft is bigger than raptor so I think the bay are big enough.

Yes, well the Raptor is also the fat kid of the fighter world... the thing is pudgy all around specifically for the internal weapons bays - this thing looks pretty slim. The F-22 has two bays for missiles on the outboard sides of the engines, this doesn't seem to have anything like that - only a small bay between the engines, and it doesn't look very deep.

su27t50f22comp.jpg

Edited by Frostiken

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It has two bays between the engines, and you're right, they're not too deep.

It also has two bays for short range AAMs specifically - the two pods under the wings.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Yes, so say certain reasonably reliable sources; though we've never seen those bays open.

Look at the wing roots just a bit outside of the engine nacelles. You'll see a triangular pod on each wing. Allegedly those are for AAMs.

I don't know if they can fit an R-73, but one way or the other, new missiles are being developed to go with this aircraft anyway.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The big long skinny thing? I assumed that was an actuator housing for the leading-edge flaps and the "ramp" (or 'lerxlerons'... or whatever). You can see the same style housing on the flaps and ailerons... that's for the actuators... but none exists for the leading-edge flaps. Obviously something has to drive it... and the fact that it just happens to butt up against the corner of the ramp seems awfully convenient.

It is unusually big and long for just an actuator housing, but it just doesn't seem big enough to properly house a legit air-to-air missile. If it really does, I can only picture it working with a very short-ranged LOAL missile. Pop-out fins and the like.

Edited by Frostiken

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]