Question about Igla & Stinger Teams

In a current mission I'm building, I am using some Igla SAM teams. Noticed in the editor that there are basically two types of units regarding the type of weapon.

For example:

For Igla SAM system there is the SAM SA-18 Igla Comm and the SAM SA-18 Igla Manpad units. The manpad unit is self explanatory but what exactly is this "Comm" unit and what is its relationship to the "Manpad" unit?

The Stinger teams have the same sort of setup as well so I'm curious as to how one uses the "Comm" unit.

should it be comms or comd instead of comm?

I think 'comm' unit is sufficient for singular or plural references.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Great minds think alike; idiots seldom differ.":pilotfly:

i5 3750K@4.3Ghz, MSI Z77A GD55, 8GB DDR3, Palit GTX 670, 24" Benq@1920*1080, X52 Pro, Win 7 64bit.

The comm unit is the datalink/radio/look out man.

Thanks GG. So am I to assume then that if one doesn't have the "comm/radio/lookout" man with the manpad unit, the manpad unit will take longer to identify target and fire? If he even fires his weapon at all?

Look at the 'sensor' circle around the MANPAD guy and the comm guy, that should explain everything :)

Also realize you can have them in different locations - an innocent looking guy in a village, vs. some guy with a tube he's got a cell phone link with in the forest 5km down the line ....

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

• 7 years later...
Look at the 'sensor' circle around the MANPAD guy and the comm guy, that should explain everything :)

No it really doesn't explain everything. Especially because weapon launch range, awareness range, lock on range, maximum missile horizontal range aren't properly defined and separated more clearly(color), ofcourse it's always a guess that sensor is larger than launcher, but I never heard this anywhere just my assumption ... but what is that detector, is that prep range, or lockon range, because it's doesn't mean lockon in case of EWR's so it's doesn't mean the same even tho it's always a yellow circle.

Infact I think these are just GUI approximations because this is quite hard to properly show on 2D space.

Does the lock on time improve when a comm unit is placed inside the detect/launch radius of the manpad unit?

Does the detection radius for the manpad unit extend by the amount

If I put a comm unity 200 km away, would the manpad unit be any better? Obviously it shouldn't be able to fire the weapon that far, also, how far does the comm unity radio reach or vice versa how far can you move the comm unity before the manpad unit doesn't register it anymore?

So does it work like the AssistRangeDatalink from C&C Generals patriot missile system, does it extend the range of the manpad unit if the comm unit is placed inside the launch radius (eg close vicinity)

The editor shouldc have an update around this, I think I'll put this on the wishlist for 2.5

Edited by Worrazen

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

bldy dickers....

He he not many people would know what that means :lol:

Yes, the usefulness of the comm guy is that he can be placed some distance away from the chap with the launcher. Placing the comm soldier a few Km away along the expected route of approaching enemy aircraft can provide them with a nasty surprise...

Edited to add: Just realised how old the original posts were!

Edited by DarkFire

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.