Vista 64 and VSync

hassata

No, I've got an eVGA 9800 GTX+. Running Vista 64, V-Sync works exactly as I've always expected. When it's off, I get tearing in BS when the frame rate exceeds the monitor's refresh rate, and with it turned on (in the NVidia control panel of course), the fps never exceeds the refresh rate, solving the tearing issue.

So based on this one example anyway, I'd say that if there was a problem with Vista and NVidia drivers regarding V-Sync, it's been solved.

Try the nHancer to force all profiles/settings you like - even within Vista64!

Great freeware tool for anybody with any geforce!

Greats

S@uDepp

// Hasi @4,5 GHz @ H100i // Asrock Z87M Extreme 4 // Avirex 4x4GB // PALIT 1070 GTX SuperJetStream // Corsair 350D // Plextor extern // DELL 2407WFP // Razer Lancehead // 2xThrustmaster T.16000M + Saitek Pedals Pro // Oculus Rift // 3x amBX // Win10 Pro x64

Is there also a fix for ati cards to turn it on?

Try Riva Tuner

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ASUS M4A79 Deluxe, AMD Phenom II X4 940@3.5GHz, ATI 6870 1GB, Windows 7 64bit, Kingstone HyperX 4GB, 2x Western Digital Raptor 74GB, Asus Xonar DX Sound Card, Saitek X52 PRO, TrackIR 44: Pro.

Its my understanding that riva tuner works to force nsync on or off in vista. Nvidia as far as I know has no fixes including the nice nhancer which I tried. P.S SafariKen, are you on sp1 for vista-this problem may have only shown up with sp1.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'll have to check my driver version when I get home from work, but it's the latest ones from their website, from a couple weeks ago I think.

Yes, of course Vista SP1 (soon-to-be SP2). You couldn't pay me to use Vista previously. :-)

Honestly this is the first I've ever heard of a problem with Vista and V-Sync. I use it all the time, and I can tell when it's on or not. I'll post again with my driver version later today.

Okay, so here's the skinny. I stand corrected; I'm running GeForce drivers 181.22, from January. Vista 64 w/ SP1, Core 2 Quad 9300, 4gb ram. Never any issues with forcing V-Sync from the Nvidia control panel in any game, including Black Shark.

Now to update those pesky drivers!

The funny thing is, for awhile I had heard about textures tearing when your fps exceeds your monitor's refresh rate, but until a few months ago, I had no idea what it meant. I had a decidedly mid-range PC, so not a whole lot of chances for my fps to exceed the 100hz refresh rate, on that awful CRT I was (for some reason) still using as my main monitor. :D

But now that I have a good PC and a swank new LCD, my frame rate goes way over 60 in almost any game. Now I understand what everyone was complaining about! Texture tearing is immensely distracting and ugly... so now I'm 110% on the V-Sync=On side of the fence...

Edited by Safari Ken

Trust me, V-sync does not work in Vista. Try enabling it all the time in graphics drivers then run 3D Mark benchmark... your frame will go over 60fps. You may not see the tearing very much in DCS Black Shark because it's not very obvious (screen does not move rapidly) but if you try LockOn and do quick roll you will see the tearing... also FPS games will show the same... but it can be that some games themselves have it enabled by default which is why framerate stays at 60fps.

Edited by Kuky

No longer active in DCS...

No, you misunderstand. I DO see tearing in BS, and it's quite obvious. And every time I've seen it, I glance down and see my fps is over 60. It's just I hadn't gotten around to forcing V-Sync on in the control panel yet, cuz I tend to forget those things until I'm in-game. Now that it's on, I glance down sometimes to see my fps pinned at 60 for pretty long periods, and I get a warm feeling in my stomach that V-Sync is doing its thing. :-)

I can't comment on 3DMark, as I don't have it and don't have much interest in benchmark software, but I'm telling you that for me, in Black Shark, V-Sync works.

Don't know how it can work for you because I had Vista installed and DCS and for me V-sync did not work no matter I enable it in graphics drivers (in my case ATI CCC) or not. Maybe you should try runnig low screnery and low resolution... then check if your frame rate will go over 60fps. If it doesn't also check that DCS is not limiting the MAX fps in one of the graphics options files where you can set your desired MAX fps.

From personal experience and from what I've read about Vista and V-sinc.. it does not work and only aplication you run itself can turn it on, and I'm pretty sure DCS does not do that.

Edited by Kuky

Only enable Vsync if you experience tearing issues, besides this, disable it. Your better off, FPS wise…

Antec 900 gaming tower, PSU: Corsair 750W, Q6600, Asus P5K, 8Gig Mushkin, Nvidia eVGA 280 GTX Superclocked 1G DDR3, SSDNOW200 Kingston Drive, TrackIr 3000+Vector, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Saitek rudder pedals pro, Sharp 42" inch LCD Aquo. OS: windows 7 64bit.

Maybe you should try runnig low screnery and low resolution... then check if your frame rate will go over 60fps. If it doesn't also check that DCS is not limiting the MAX fps in one of the graphics options files where you can set your desired MAX fps.

Good thinking about setting low settings, for testing. I set every single thing to the bare minimum, chose a test mission I had made which contains nothing except my chopper and one vehicle, and in-game I did everything I could to max out the fps (such as zooming way out in external view, which turned out to be the most effective thing to do).

The highest fps I saw the whole time was a few times it hit 62 and 63 for a fraction of a second, if I did something like whip the mouse real fast in external view, but I mean just a split-second. Otherwise it basically flatlined at 60.

I don't know which BS config file to check to see if the max fps is set to 60 (if there is such an option, isn't this entire thread a moot point?), but I know it's not set that way, because when I turn V-Sync off, my fps and tearing issues both go through the roof.

Could it be that a fix was put in place since the last time you tried it? I've only had Black Shark for about 2 weeks. Or it could be that it's just my Karma finally catching up with me... if so, it's about time, Karma! :thumbsup:

There couldn't have been any fixed as download version is the same today and the day it was first released. In LockOn you can add line MAX_FPS = 60; in Graphics.cfg file to limit framerate to 60fps... I don't know where you could do the same in DCS. Anyway, for me it's your word against what I read and experienced myself... no point discussing wether it works or not for me any more... if it works for you great...

I meant a video driver update may have fixed it, or even a Vista update, since my quick Google search indicates that the issue was a decision on Microsoft's end. No forced V-Sync seems like a large, widespread problem to just leave hanging indefinitely, especially if Nvidia insists on rubbing it in our faces, leaving the option there. But when I Googled "vista vertical sync issue", I only found a few forum posts about it, and they were all over a year old.

Edited by Safari Ken

I just tested activating V-sync through nHancer, since I do get some rather nasty tearing when I use the TrackIR4. And it definitely does seem to work - not seen the effect afterwards.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

The highest fps I saw the whole time was a few times it hit 62 and 63 for a fraction of a second, if I did something like whip the mouse real fast in external view, but I mean just a split-second. Otherwise it basically flatlined at 60.

I don't know which BS config file to check to see if the max fps is set to 60......

Any LCD monitor cannot display higher FPS than its refresh rate........so............if your monitor has a refresh rate of 60, that will explain your capping at 60.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'